Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tawakoni Spillway #441734 02/21/03 05:44 PM
Bartemus Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Water is going over the dam. Fished two hours this morning behind the spillway at Tawakoni before the rain arrived. Used a Little George and caught nothing. Saw one fish caught by a guy using a fly rod and a pet spoon. Saw an occasional fish hitting on top of the water but unable to hook up.

Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441735 02/22/03 06:45 AM
B
Billy Seaman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
What you probably saw hitting top of water was large Gizzard Shad, the SAbine below Tawakoni has been known for years as a place to catch giant Shad, I am talking 10-14 inch sized. I would venture a guess that in a few days, Whites and Hybrids will be caught with more frequency than you saw today and I might just show up also.

------------------
Billy Seaman(guide Service)

Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441736 02/22/03 03:30 PM
Bartemus Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Hello Billy! I plan on trying again Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning or both. I will let you know how I do. Have a good weekend. Bart

Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441737 02/23/03 05:53 PM
Bartemus Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Fished from daylight til 8:30 with an in-line spinner and caught nothing. Saw four fish caught using sassy shad and a spinning rod. Met EPFISHON as I was leaving. Had his waders on and was about to get after them. Dont think it is in full swing yet but there were many more people down there. Robbie at holiday Marina said it was wall to wall people Saturday afternoon.

Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441738 02/23/03 08:35 PM
E
epfishon Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Fished the spillway this morning. I'm embarrassed to say that today was one of those days when everyone was catching some fish except me. As Bartemus mentioned, it's not in full swing just yet. Although I think it's very, very close. Fished for about 3 hours. Tried fishing for Hybrids for about an hour with no luck. No one was catching any Hybrids, either. Fished up and down the river . As I said, there were people catching sandies, just not me. I tried everything, including what others who was catching fish was using. It seems chartruese colored sassy shad or mister twister was what the sandies liked. Many guys had stringers that had anywhere from 5 to 10 fish on them. There were a few that did better with about 15 fish on the stringer. They all seemed to be females loaded with eggs. I was determined to catch at least one fish and was prepared to stick it out. But, after nearly being blown into the water and 3 hours later, I decided that I had lost this battle and that I should go and regroup. Stopped by several spots at Rowlett creek on the way home to Plano, but the water was still moving fairly good and was very stained. Didn't feel like getting muddy as the area was still very wet. Unless this next wave of cold weather and rain messes things up this week, the end of this week and next week should provide for more fish being caught by almost everyone. I hope that includes me.
Nice meeting you Bart!

Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441739 02/24/03 12:35 AM
R
rockwallguy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I also fished the spillway today...only caught 3 but they were huge. The first few hours i worked the left side (facing down river) and didnt catch anything. Talked to a guy who had 15...all caught between 9 and 10 am, before the wind kicked up. After noon, i tried the other side and ran into guy with a few on his stringer and he told me the key was to fish it deep. The first cast after his advice i caught my first. I had to put a couple of split shots a couple inches above my roadrunner to get it the depth i wanted because of the wind. I caught the other two within an hour...but like everyone else the wind was too much.

Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441740 02/24/03 12:42 AM
Bartemus Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Nice to meet you. Did you throw everything in the tackle box at them; jig under a cork, sassy shad? Bart

Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441741 02/24/03 12:47 AM
J
JP Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Billy I know I saw sandies chasing shad quite a few times today so it was not just large shad! that got me excited
I was there at around a little before 8:00. I had never been there before so it was a scouting mission and fishing trip all in one. I found them in a pocket and caught 15 nice sized sandies! One was over 2 1/2 lbs
I was using a wide assortment of sassies & grubtails that I had made by mismatching colors. Man it was nice in the morning but the wind wore me out. I cuaght all my fish from 8:30 to 10:45. I then ate lunch and came back for a few more hours and the wind had picked up so much that the spillway was dumping huge amounts of water that was white rapids from there turning into rising water & strong currents down stream.
I saw your truck Bartemus but do not think I met you I was wearing brown waders and an Indiana Jones looking hat!
I asked around for TFF folks but none. I did see anyone unless one was you Rockwall guy. I came from Rockwall also!

-------------------------------------
Stratos 22 SS Extreme 225 Evinrude
Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441742 02/24/03 05:19 PM
R
rockwallguy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
jp,

i guess i did meet you...i guess i should have asked for tff folks...i was the guy you talked to on your way out ( plaid green shirt and black cap).

Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441743 02/24/03 06:45 PM
J
JP Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I think I asked just about everyone but you also! It was nice to meet you- someone from my hometown! Did you catch any?
Here is a picture of the fish

"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime"

[This message has been edited by JP (edited 02-24-2003).]

Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441744 02/24/03 10:41 PM
E
epfishon Offline
Angler
Angler
E
JP, Rockwallguy,
I'm certain I saw you guys there. I saw a guy fishing with what looked like white with red head roadrunner with split shots across the river from me. I was wearing brown Cabela's wader with yellow hooded sweartshirt. Do guys may have not noticed me because I was the one who wasn't catching any fish. Nice stringer of sandies. Well, I thought this coming weekend would be good, but this winter blast might delay things for another week. Sleet has been coming down in Mckinney, Allen, and now Plano. It's supposed to get worse tonight. We should have a TFF meeting area when we all decide to fish the same fishin' hole.

Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441745 02/25/03 12:58 AM
J
JP Offline
Angler
Angler
J
epfishon

I think I remember seeing you there. I was using everything I could conjure up! he he I did bot use any split shots though.
I lost a few lures also!!
a meeting place sounds good or a TFF whistle or dance!!!

Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441746 02/25/03 01:12 AM
redfin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
A little butt wiggle, hands in the air when you catch a sandie, then spike it... Hey, that be a TFF guy alright!

I know more old alcoholics than I know old doctors - Me.
"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441747 02/25/03 05:48 AM
B
brothab Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I have never been to the Tawakoni spillway but am very interested. What are some tips you could give some one whos never been there.

IE: where to park? what baits? bait shops? do i have to worry about my vehicle if i wander off? can i fish at night? is there a beer store nearby? (lol J/K)

I am not new to spillway fishing but have never been to the Tawakoni Spillway....... Is it similar to lavon, texoma or richland chambers......

Thanks In Advance,

Jason

------------------
I fish..... Therefore I am!!!

I fish..... Therefore I am!!!
Re: Tawakoni Spillway #441748 02/25/03 02:58 PM
E
epfishon Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Brothab,
Do you know how to get there? Where are you coming from. If you're coming from the Dallas area, take I-20 east headed to Shreveport. Exit at us47. There's a sign that says Lake Tawakoni. Hang a left-North. Pass the town of Willis and just keep following 47. It's about 10 miles from I-20. You can't miss the spillway except maybe at night. The spillway is on the left and the river is off to the right. Paved parking is off to the right just before the bridge. You can park just about anywhere when the place is full. Problems with leaving your vehicle is normally not a problem. You can wander off as far as you like. It's not a very difficult place to fish, unless you're fishing for Hybrids. In thid case, you need a surf rod and cast as close as you can towards the spillway. It's a very long distance to the spillway so you better be a good caster. You may have to wade into the water to get a cast off because there's limited space for fisherman near the bridge. Be careful because there's a cable with bouy that marks where you can't go past and there's another cable about 15-20 feet behind that. Many people catch the back cable and break there line, or worse, their poles. There's no fishing off the bridge. The river is actually pretty nice. It's not too wide and you can fish either side. There's plenty of places and spots to fish. There's usually not any problem in finding a spot.
It's nothing like Lavon or Texoma. It's much better in terms of fishable area in the river. The spillway, as I mentioned has very limited spots. The river is similar to the creek below Lavon, but without the trees and you can go down the river a pretty long ways. It's, I think private property, but whoever owns the land allows people to fish the area. Althought there are signs that says " If littering doesn't stop, the place will be closed. So, you fellow TFF addicts, if you see people leaving trash, kindly remind them.
Today, I'm certain is not a good day to go, unless you like ice fishing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide