Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kattelyn #4343058 01/09/10 10:59 PM
Kev® Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
With all the playoffs coming up post some of your football favorites!!! Start with your recipe for Queso.

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kev®] #4345029 01/10/10 05:50 AM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Queso is simple. brown and drain some breakfast sausage, toss in a crock pot, add 2 cans rotel (drain just one can), a block of velveeta, and a can of cream of mushroom soup.

Also a BIG one, and has been for years, is cream puffs. I know I've posted that on here a couple times, but seriously its good stuff - just ask Striker.

Mini corn dogs - take some little smokies or cut up some weiners into halves or thirds, make a cornbread batter (about a cup of cornmeal, an egg, splash of buttermilk, and a squirt of mustard, a big spoon full of dried onion flakes, and mix well into a batter) Drop the dry weiners or little smokies into the batter then fry until golden brown. Also onion rings do real well in the batter.

Lesee, guacamole - we've got some great guacamole folks on here, so I'll bow to their prowess.

What do y'all like? Ham wrapped grilled asparagus. Take some real thin sliced ham - serrano is best, but any dry ham will do, thin sliced bacon is REAL good too. Wrap it around the asparagus and secure with toothpicks at each end and grill just until done - maybe 5 minutes.

Y'all want just finger foods or do you want a meal? I don't watch football, so with my ex husband, I'd smoke him a brisket and make potato salad and various munchies for him and the rest of the guys. Brisket sandwiches on homemade yeast rolls were a huge hit.

Oh, I know. mince one onion, and saute until just clear add about a pound of peeled and deveined shrimp cut into bite size chunks. When they're JUST beginning to turn pink, add a pound of cream cheese. Its a shrimp dip - you can use crab or even fake crab instead.

Help me out here. Let me know what folks like. Request some things. Wings are fairly easy - Just rinse a pound of wing quarters, toss in a little seasoned flour - onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, then deep fry until golden and done all the way through, then toss into a mix of tabasco, vinegar, just a touch of sugar, some flour to thicken it up just a little, and some melted butter.

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kattelyn] #4345046 01/10/10 06:03 AM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Cookies? Chocolate chip - boy or girl is the question. Snickerdoodles? Lemon bars? How about fried pies?

I've never been too much of a fan of veggie trays but some people are. About the only thing I'll eat off of one is the tomatoes.

Stuffed jalapenos w/ cream cheese and shrimp - oooh that shrimp dip would be GOOD in those.

Guacamole - if you don't have a recipe - 4 to 6 avocados, mush well with a fork, add the juice from two limes, about a half a container (about a cup) of fresh pico from kroger's fresh veggies area and salt to taste.

Another thing that'd be real good in stuffed jalapenos would be cheddar cheese and sausage. Just cook the sausage well before you add it and use shredded cheddar. Sharp would be my preference.

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kattelyn] #4345055 01/10/10 06:08 AM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Just had another thought. Pizza rolls.

Take a can of crescent roll dough, roll 'em out, put in about a quarter cup of mozzarella cheese, a sprinkling of pizza seasoning (oregano and basil) and a couple slices of pepperoni. roll it up and bake til done.

BTW, sorry it took so long to see and reply to this. We've been making two massive batches of tamales here, so I've spent most of the day up to my elbows in masa dough. Its amazing how fast you go through 500 when everybody wants a dozen or two for Christmas.

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kattelyn] #4345102 01/10/10 07:02 AM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kattelyn] #4345121 01/10/10 07:31 AM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Just thought of deviled eggs. My hubby can go through them faster than I can make them.

Hard boil some eggs, cut in half and dump the hard yolk in a bowl. Mash with some mayo, mustard, worstershire sauce, and then spoon back into the egg white halves. I wish I could tell you amounts... you'll just have to experiment with it.. I'm sorry! It really depends on how many you're making, but I usually do a dozen at a time. Ends up being about a third cup of mayo - ish??? a couple squirts of mustard, and a couple dashes of worstershire. Sprinkle with paprika and serve. I know its an old standby, but its good stuff. **EDIT** Some people prefer miracle whip, some people prefer mayo. Follow your own preference here. Just taste it first before you commit.

Oh I just remembered... twice baked potatoes! But I can't find that recipe anywhere. Basically, take some baking potatoes, wrap in foil and bake until done (350 about an hour) then scoop out a bit of the inside, mash with butter and garlic and cream, then saute up some green chiles, some shrimp cut into bits, minced onion, and stir that into the mashed potatoes with some shredded cheddar. Top with bacon and bake the refilled skins just until the bacon is done.

Another good one is parmesan roasted new potatoes. Take 1 or two pounds of new potatoes, wash and rinse well, boil for about 10 minutes, then roll well in a bowl with 2/3rd cup parmesan cheese, 1/2 c bread crumbs, a pinch (maybe 1/8 teaspoon if that much) nutmeg, teaspoon of garlic powder, and roast at 400 for 10 minutes. Sprinkle some bacon bits over the top and roast for another 15 minutes or until its all cooked through. ** EDIT ** this is really good with lemon pepper too.

Last edited by Kattelyn; 01/10/10 08:04 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kattelyn] #4345140 01/10/10 07:57 AM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
More from my stash... something that goes real quick but I've only made a couple times, so it wasn't sitting at the forefront of my mind for entertaining.

CREOLE CHEESE FRITTERS

3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
3 eggs
1/4 cup parsley, chopped fine
1/4 cup green onions, medium dice
1/4 cup horseradish
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning*
1/4 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
1 cup flour
1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
10 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
Place Parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley, onions, horseradish, sour cream, garlic, Creole seasoning, red pepper, flour and hot sauce in an electric mixer and combine at medium speed. Add the 3 cheeses and continue mixing until well blended. Do not over mix.
Heat oil to 350 in a cast iron skillet. Drop golf ball-size spoonfuls of cheese fritter mixture into hot oil, making sure not to cook too many at once.
Serve with Comeback Sauce for dipping.*
Yield: 24-30 *Recipes follow.

CREOLE SEASONING

2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
2 tablespoons dried sweet basil
1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon celery seed
5 tablespoons sweet paprika
Combine in food processor and pulse until well-blended, or mix thoroughly in a large bowl. The recipe doubles or triples well.

COMEBACK SAUCE

2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup ketchup
1 cup chili sauce
1 cup cottonseed oil
1 large onion, diced
1/3 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
4 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons worcestershire
1 tablespoon pepper
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons salt
Puree all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Allow to sit overnight in refrigerator before use.

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kattelyn] #4345150 01/10/10 08:00 AM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
APRICOT FRIED PIES
FILLING:

1 pound dried apricots
4 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
PASTRY:

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
3/4 cup shortening
6 or 7 tablespoons cold water
Prepare the filling by covering the dried apricots with water in a saucepan and cooking slowly, simmering about 1 hour, until soft. Mash well with a potato masher and add the sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside to cool.
Prepare the pastry by sifting together the flour, salt and sugar. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two knives. Combine lightly until this mixture resembles cornmeal or tiny peas. Sprinkle water over the flour mixture, a tablespoon at a time, and mix lightly with a fork using only enough water so that the pastry will hold together when pressed gently into a ball.
Roll out dough to 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch in thickness. Using the open end of a coffee can, cut the dough into rounds and place about 3 to 4 tablespoons of the filling on one half of the round. Moisten edges of dough with water, and pull the uncovered half of the round over the filling and press together to seal. Use fork tines or your fingers to crimp edges of the dough. (Note: Use a 6-inch mold or cutter with a scalloped edge if you have one.)
You can place the pies on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown, or you can deep-fry them in a skillet with oil heated to 350 degrees.
Makes 4 to 6 pies.

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kattelyn] #4345172 01/10/10 08:12 AM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
I'm a doofus. I just remembered that when you're done with the mini corn dogs, you take the batter, add in a little whole kernel corn, some minced bell peppers, and some minced onion and drop by the spoonful into the fryer and you've got some great hushpuppies.

Let me know if there's anything in particular you want. I'm shootin in the dark here trying to think of every finger food I know.

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kattelyn] #4345489 01/10/10 03:07 PM
Kev® Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
All of those sound really good,Thanks alot!!!

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kev®] #4345550 01/10/10 03:33 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
You're quite welcome hon. Just point me in a direction of things you like and I could give you recipes like that.

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kattelyn] #4345773 01/10/10 05:04 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Just thought of some more stuff. Go get some chicken breasts and teriaki marinade. Cut the chicken breasts into strips or chunks marinate for about double what the recipe calls for (I'd do it overnight) then thread onto skewers and grill.

Tada, you have the chicken sticks you get at chinese restaurants.

Another one is chicken in foil. That's basically half a deboned chicken thigh, a little five spice powder (either in the spice isle or asian foods) wrap in a little square of foil and bake at 350 about half an hour.

Tempura is EASY. Mmmm tempura green beans and zucchini and squash and grin I love my tempura veggies. Just google a tempura recipe from somewhere. I've got one, but its nothing special ... and I don't know where that recipe book got off to.
Just be sure you have plenty of soy sauce, and you may want to get some wasabi for mixing into the soy sauce for dipping smile Warning... if you've never had it, its HOT! Go easy on it!

Y'all like cupcakes? And you never answered about the cookie dilemma!

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kattelyn] #4345793 01/10/10 05:16 PM
N
nascarchuck Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
N
Holy carp! I'm bookmarking this thread!!! clap

This stuff is really good...

Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry

* 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, defrosted (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
* 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
* 1/4 pound black forest ham, sliced
* 1/2 pound Provolone cheese, sliced
* 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan.

Lay 1 sheet of puff pastry on a floured board and carefully roll it out to 10 by 12 inches. Place it on a sheet pan and brush the center with the mustard, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Place a layer first of ham and then cheese, also leaving a 1-inch border. Brush the border with the egg wash.

Place the second sheet of puff pastry on the floured board and roll it out to 10 by 12inches. Place the second sheet on top of the filled pastry, lining up the edges. Cut the edges straight with a small, sharp knife and press together lightly. Brush the top with egg wash and cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes and serve hot or warm.

***You can also play with the fillings. I used pulled pork and jack cheese before and it was excellent!

Re: Kattelyn [Re: nascarchuck] #4346661 01/10/10 10:57 PM
Kev® Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Kattelyn, You are my go to girl when it comes to anything food related!!! you are awesome!!

Re: Kattelyn [Re: Kev®] #4346706 01/10/10 11:08 PM
S
Sooner Claus Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: KEVSTER ®
Kattelyn, You are my go to girl when it comes to anything food related!!! you are awesome!!

I have to agree. Kattelyn can give me cooking lessons anytime.

Boomer Sooner
TFF Pledge Name-Pop Rocks
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide