Prozac Crappie #428634 02/03/04 03:09 AM
E
El_Tortuga Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
E
Fishy research from the outdoors

The outdoors is not exempt from the ways science approaches questions; inquiring minds seek to make order of the world

By
Craig Springer
Special to ESPNOutdoors.com

To borrow from humorist Dave Barry, I'm not making this up — any of it. Every now and again, you'll hear about odd or unusual research. Maybe you'll read about what sounds like unuseable research — like feeding lab mice the equivalent of 6,000 eggs a month causes concern for the cholesterol conscience.

The outdoors is not exempt from the ways science approaches questions; inquiring minds seek to make order of the way the world works.

Peaceful, easy feeling

Don't let it bring you down, but the anti-depressant, Prozac, has turned up in bluegill and crappie in Pecan Creek and Lake Lewisville near Dallas, Texas.

Baylor University researchers found the active ingredient in Prozac accumulated in the tissues of these fishes. The anti-depressant can have the same therapeutic effect on fish as it does humans.

This could mean that forage fish swim in a stupor; the drug could affect their ability to find a mate and guard a nest. They might even become easy pickin's for predatory largemouth bass. And when eaten by predators, the chemical could be passed up the food chain, maybe even to people, though you'd have to eat a great deal piscine Prozac to get a peaceful easy feeling.

The chemical is believed to have found its way into the fishery by way of the urine of Prozac users flushing toilets around Denton, Texas. Area waste-water treatment plants lack the capability of treating and removing the chemical. The jury is out on what the long-term effects to fishing and human health will be. But the research raises a larger concern — what other drugs are harming our fisheries and domestic water reserves?

Re: Prozac Crappie #428635 02/03/04 04:18 AM
J
Jon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I wonder how many parts per bazillion of Prozac was registered in those fish? If it was in fact coming from real Prozac passed downstream from Denton area urine and not some naturally occuring substance that was showing up as a false positive, I have to marvel at the sensitivity of their testing instruments to be able to register something like that. I wonder how many tons of those crappie you would have to eat at one sitting to get kicked back and mellow?

Re: Prozac Crappie #428636 02/03/04 04:58 AM
L
LOVNTREE Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
BEST WAY TO FIND OUT.
CATCH A BUNCH AND FIND OUT!
THEY SAY IT WILL NOT HURT JUST MAKE YOU FEEEEELLLLLL RRREEEEAAAALLLL GGGOOOODDDD!!!!
AND I'AM SURE YOU WILL NOT MINE EATING A LOT OF FISH

LOVNTREE

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide