Print Thread
Nasworthy: Any but bass? #40734 08/02/03 12:39 PM
M
MarkA Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Cameron, Hag and informed others: Are there any but the bass species of fishes in Nasworthy that are fished for? Was in SA this week and got to go out to the lake for a couple of days, WOW am very sorry I have never gotten down there. Have some info from ya'll from last year on where to fish it for bass, back by Spring Creek, is that still true. Is the top water OK this year or is it gone.

Since I fish with Grandbabies most of time is there any bream or catfish to be caught. I have NEVER seen a crappie report on Naz! Let me know and I will spend some money in your town Cameron! Thanks as always!!!!!!

------------------
Thanks and Gig'em, Mark Fairchild

Re: Nasworthy: Any but bass? #40735 08/03/03 02:14 PM
W
wcramsey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Hey Mark ,maybe I can help a little. I have always taken my kids catfishing this time of year at Knickerbocker Park. It is the first small park with boat ramp on your left as you pass PAC SADDLE BBQ.Right in front of the intake on the lake side of the bridge is loaded with catfish,perch,drum and carp. There is always something biting there to keep kids interested for a while. Chicken liver and earthworms are the mainstay. The topwater bite for bass has been slow for most everybody I know for some reason but has got to get better soon. Have not heard anything on the crappie at all in the last couple of months. Good Luck and I hope this helps out.

Re: Nasworthy: Any but bass? #40736 08/03/03 10:28 PM
M
MarkA Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Thanks wc and Cameron: This lake looks really 'FISHY' with all of the reeds but I take it from some of the posts that that can be deceiving.

For the Whiskerkitties, are they using soured grain under the bridge?

We will bring the boat and just mess around. Are there any nav. hazards in the lake or just use normal prudence to be safe?

Are there any CLEAN but fairly priced motels near the lake in case the temp/camping thing gets too much?
------------------

[This message has been edited by MarkA (edited 08-03-2003).]

Re: Nasworthy: Any but bass? #40737 08/04/03 07:55 PM
The Hag Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Hey Mark. There are some crappie in the lake. But, for the most part, they are just keepers. No slabs. Mostly found around the bridge pilons and the docks on the South end of the lake. There are also a lot of hybrids that are caught under lights around these same places. The redfish population got hit hard a few years back when the lake froze over. It used to have tons of large redfish in it. There are still some there though. A lot of small catfish are caught off the bank in the discharge channel in the park. Shrimp and liver seem to be the bait of choice. The shrimp will also allow you to possibly catch the redfish that frequent the hot water discharge channel. The kids can catch a lot of perch around the docks in the cove at the ramp. Some have the reeds around the docks and the perch love those docks. Good luck down there.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Dobyns Rods Staff http://www.dobynsrods.com
Re: Nasworthy: Any but bass? #40738 08/05/03 12:50 PM
W
wcramsey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Hey Mark the Hag is right about those areas. Dont get me wrong those reeds are full of big bass as well as catfish. I am hearing alot of catfish storys from bassfishing anglers fishing for bass here lately.This time of year that bite can be tough but after the dredging of the lake the fishing has changed somewhat meaning it seems that those bass have moved out from the reeds. Yes the pilings under the bridge are very good for channel cat but do not know if any one is baiting them or not. As far as motels the Budget Inn and La Quinta on Loop 306 and Knikerbocker should be reasonable.

Re: Nasworthy: Any but bass? #40739 08/05/03 01:15 PM
The Hag Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Hey Mark.....We forgot to answer a very important question you had. There are no obstacles in the lake that present a hazard. The lake is basicly a flat lake with just the few channels and the new areas that were dredged out. No stumps or rock humps that you have to really worry about.

The left hand corner of the dam has a great drop off going toward the first point to the West. Some good summer time bass are caught on Carolina rigs there.

Nasworthy was, I believe, the best top water lake in West Texas for years. It was a well kept secret for top waters. This year, you will notice that we don't have the supply of grasshoppers or dragon flies. I feel that the top water bite has been greatly affected by that. The yellow grasshoppers always triggered the bass into shallow water top water feeding. No grasshoppers...no top water! Just my observation that I seen several times in the past. The grasshoppers should be appearing in the next hatch in 2 to 3 weeks. First week of September should be some good top water action out here again.

I had a feeling that the bass would adapt to the new channels made by the dredging. They never had that type of structure before. So, they always just hung tight to docks and the reeds. It is going to be a different lake now. I think a Carolina rig in those ditches is going to be a "big fish" bite now. It just took some time for the fish to find them and start hanging on them. Before, it would not surprise a fisherman to catch a 7 or 8 pounder in 12" of water.

[This message has been edited by The Hag (edited 08-05-2003).]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Dobyns Rods Staff http://www.dobynsrods.com
Re: Nasworthy: Any but bass? #40740 08/05/03 02:22 PM
cgstrange Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
MarkA-in reference to the email I sent you, my buddies were baiting the pillings under the bridge with soured grain. Usually put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a 6-pack of beer and shut it for a day or 2. In West Texas it will be sour very quickly.

Other than that, only help I can give is about the bass. But as wramsey and Hag have said, the bite is changing.

Hag-I think the lack of top water bite on Nasworthy also has a lot to do with the removal of the lilly pads. You can't find them on the lake anymore. Used to be able to fish lilly pads for 3 or 4 hours and never fish the same area twice. Tons of bass under those, sure hated to see them go. Now the skiers get to enjoy all of that open water. Oh well I guess, hopefully they come back. They're like weeds from what I know. Almost impossible to kill.

The LaQuinta and Budget Inns are the closest to the lake. Both are clean, have pools, and won't break the bank. We don't have any of them $200 hotels in this town

cgstrange

Cameron
Re: Nasworthy: Any but bass? #40741 08/05/03 06:25 PM
M
MarkA Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
You guys are the BEST!!!!
Now if only I could get Hag to catch 'em for me, stay at Cameron's house and eat with WC it would be a PERFECT trip!!!!!!

------------------

Re: Nasworthy: Any but bass? #40742 08/05/03 07:58 PM
cgstrange Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Well Mark, next time you're in town let us know. Maybe we can hook up and fish a bit together. Also, don't know if you know this and/or if you like Chinese food but there's a great chinese resturant in the airport right on the other side of the lake. Good luck.

cgstrange

Cameron
Re: Nasworthy: Any but bass? #40743 08/05/03 10:55 PM
M
MarkA Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Cameron: Trying to myself pumped for this weekend, I have become SUCH a WIMP!!!!!! Went with oldest Grandson this pm to plink some targets and siliouthes (sp) and it BLAZING HOT!!!!!! It get to thinking, 'What if we were in the boat, we would be DEAD!'. May go by some grain tomorrow for the cats, two days in this should do it. I will let you know if I loose it and decide to come.

------------------

Re: Nasworthy: Any but bass? #40744 08/06/03 07:40 PM
cgstrange Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Hey Mark, just an FYI, if you go under the bridge, you'll be in the shade 8)

Cameron
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide