Forums59
Topics1,037,820
Posts13,935,118
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick.......Results and Write Up #3654278 07/04/09 03:17 AM
Casey Allison Offline OP
Sissy Boy
OP Offline
Sissy Boy
Had the pleasure of getting to shoot a "Tips and Tricks" on Deep Water fishing yesterday with one of the best deep water fisherman around. Even I going into this was always skeptical of wondering into the depths of the unknown and trying to pull up a ole Bucket Mouth.

Well, after riding around with Lake Fork Guide Lance Vick yesterday on Lake Fork, I'm pretty sure I'm going to start gearing up for some excursions of shore.......WOW that's funny, even me talking about the write up I make it seem like it's a "Shallow" vs "Deep" thing. Lance put it best yesterday when he told me " I laugh when people start talking about shallow vs deep thing" The fish in 5 feet of water or the same fish in 25 feet of water. They didn't get smarter or harder to catch just because they are now out there, they just now have most anglers fooled.

Most people fear deep water fishing because they can't see what there fish......WRONG you can it's called a graph. That little piece of equipment can tell you everything about fishing deep your eyes can show you fishing shallow.

When Lance and I started talking about Deep water "Tips and Tricks", he told me that by the end of the write up, he would do his best to give people the confidence to add deep water fishing to there arsenal.......here's Lance Vick's "Tips and Tricks" on "Deep Water Fishing".

Where do you start?

Best intro in "Tips and trick"...AND A BASS.

Best times during the day on average to take advantage of the deep bite on Fork?

Primaries

What is the deepest he fishes at Fork?
32 feet is the Max Depth he will fish on Lake Fork.

What kind of place do u look for???? humps next to creek bends, with or without structure, creek channels alone, ledges????
All of the above, when deep water fishing, anything and everything can potentially hold bass.

Now his favorite spot to fish deep, is a simple main lake point, no bends no ditches nothing. WHY? Because the fish have less places they can be and will have to be somewhere on that point. Fish that point the same way in 25 feet of water as you would in 5 feet of water. it's still the same point you now just have to get your lure deeper.

Tip by Lance on Flipping Jig..Fish Nails Jig

Bass Asassin has an 11 inch curly tail worm that floats. It really has some great action. How does he fish it or how would he fish it? Carolina or Texas?
T-Rigg with out a doubt, if that's your confidence bait like a Grande Bass Megatail is to Lance, Texas Rigg it. Always remember to throw what you have confidence in.

Here's the Worm that Lance has a lot of confidence in

And how about one of his fish on the Grande Bass Megatail.

When to throw a deep crank verses a c-rig, jig etc?

[color:#000000]If it's pretty Windy 15 MPH+ he will go with a C-Rig over a Deep Crank, now that being said if he gets on some active big fish, he will use the Crankbait. On least windy and calm days he will go to a more stealthy approach with a Texas Rig, but try not to limit your self on the water, learn to use all your tools in every situation...You will see this example in a few video's today.

Knot video on "Double Improved Clinch Knot"

[/color]
How do you determine what depth the fish are gonna be?
Using the depth finder ( we shoot a video on this)

When the Thermocline shows up on the Graph does he actually catch fish below it? Does he fish below it or does he target the depth just above it? Also, What effect does the Thermocline have on fish and what does it mean? Maybe nothing I don't know. What is the deepest he finds Grass on Lake Fork? I know I have tons more but this is a start.
Just above the line, because that's the basses comfort zone, also bait fish really can't survive to well under the oxygen deprived layer. that is also another major factor in why he fishes above it.
YES, you can catch fish under it, but they are tough to catch and are usually spread out.

Here is a great write up on Thermocline.

Oh Yeah, 12 feet is the deepest he has found and fishes grass on Fork Right Now.

If you mark fish in 20 ft suspended over 30 ft,will you go to a spot where you know there is structure 20 ft deep,and the fish will be relating to the bottom,or will they just suspend shallower?

Retrieves. What are his methods of finding out what the fish want as far as retrieving his favorite deep lures.
And flutter spoon info.

What structure does he prefer to fish night time during the summer and what are his best depths at lake fork.
What baits and what retrieves.

Jersey Dan, first congrats on the Lake Buchman Record. This question didn't print out well, so i will PM Lance and get him to answer it on here.

Do you blind fish deep structure, i.e. no bait fish present, or do you need to graph structure until you find bait fish? In other words do you fish the structure or the bait?

I dont fish a lot of lakes with points, ledges, or other obvious deep water structure. In this case, what out of the ordinary deep water structure would you look for? Also, on humps, how defined do you feel humps have to be to be a holding spot for bass?
Bridge Corners, all you need is 2 to 3 feet of depth change to make a hump productive and sometimes less. On Fork in the fall less change is better.

how do you feel about vertical fishing vs casting? what do you prefer as far as search baits...crankbaits, c-rigs or what?

In the fall a vertical presentation is better when fish are tighter in groups, right now casting away from the boat as far as possible is key when trying to drag your bait across deep water structure. Crankbaits are one of the best search baits.

Crankbait Fish

Tips by Lance

How do you know it is Bass that you are seeing on the graph?

Less fuzzy looking and will have a more defined shape, there's a video above that show's both on one shot. Bait fish and bass.

If he were fishing a lake like Ray Roberts that has no grass to key on, what structure would he fish?

Points, road beds, under water railroad tracks, pond dams, bridge corners.

What are the rod/reel/line set-ups he uses for Deep Cranking, deep jigging/worming and other methods.

How to know when they need to be fizzed?
If you catch a bass and try to release it and it can't go back down that a good sign, also you will see there are bladder. On thing that causes the alot is catching a fish 15+ or greater in the summer, now that's not saying it can't happen a little shallower. If you catch a summer time bass and don't have to keep it in the livewell, please practice C.P.R (Catch,Photo,Release) quickly.

Oh yeah, does ole Lance think there are any stones unturned on that lake? Are there deep water spots that have not yet been discovered? If yes how do you go about discovering a new deep water spots? How can you determine if a spot has the potential to hold fish?
Yes, there are many spots on Fork that anglers haven't really discovered yet, the key to finding these spots is time on the water and patients to search and explore.

Tip by Lance

Lance show us his NEW Signature Series Jig.

Tip by Lance

Ardent Flipping Reel..

And How about a AWESOME WAY to end a Great day of "Tips and Tricks"

Last edited by mrbass24; 07/14/09 08:37 AM.

Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: Casey Allison] #3654294 07/04/09 03:19 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Best times during the day on average to take advantage of the deep bite on Fork?

What is the deepest he fishes at Fork?

Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: Casey Allison] #3654309 07/04/09 03:22 AM
G
GaryReynolds Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
what kind of place do u look for???? humps next to creek bends, with or without structure, creek channels alone, ledges????

Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: Mark Perry] #3654317 07/04/09 03:24 AM
C
Capt'n Wings Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Bass Asassin has an 11 inch curly tail worm that floats. It really has some great action. How does he fish it or how would he fish it? Carolina or Texas?

"Faith requires one to elevate the practice of not thinking to a virtue," Mark Twain
Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: Capt'n Wings] #3654460 07/04/09 04:01 AM
B
bradnitro175 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
When to throw a deep crank verses a c-rig, jig etc?
How do you determine what depth the fish are gonna be?

Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: bradnitro175] #3654487 07/04/09 04:08 AM
Weekender1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
When the Thermocline shows up on the Graph does he actually catch fish below it? Does he fish below it or does he target the depth just above it? Also, What effect does the Thermocline have on fish and what does it mean? Maybe nothing I don't know. What is the deepest he finds Grass on Lake Fork? I know I have tons more but this is a start.

Jody
PS Thanks Casey for all you do for us guys that don't have the time to learn first hand all you have taught us over the past year.

Tyler Bass Club
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: Weekender1] #3654635 07/04/09 05:12 AM
M
Mike_Soriano™ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
If you mark fish in 20 ft suspended over 30 ft,will you go to a spot where you know there is structure 20 ft deep,and the fish will be relating to the bottom,or will they just suspend shallower?Also,how big of a role do shellbeds play in your deep fishing?

Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: Mike_Soriano™] #3655174 07/04/09 01:58 PM
S
StumpJumper1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Retrieves. What are his methods of finding out what the fish want as far as retrieving his favorite deep lures.

And flutter spoon info.

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: StumpJumper1] #3655305 07/04/09 02:56 PM
J
Jersey Dan Offline
Guido
Guido
J
What structure does he prefer to fish night time during the summer and what are his best depths at lake fork.

What baits and what retrieves.

Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: Jersey Dan] #3655400 07/04/09 03:39 PM
Mike Andrews Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Do you blind fish deep structure, i.e. no bait fish present, or do you need to graph structure until you find bait fish? In other words do you fish the structure or the bait?

Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: Mike Andrews] #3656223 07/04/09 10:14 PM
T
TDR2 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I dont fish a lot of lakes with points, ledges, or other obvious deep water structure. In this case, what out of the ordinary deep water structure would you look for? Also, on humps, how defined do you feel humps have to be to be a holding spot for bass?

P1
Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: TDR2] #3656306 07/04/09 10:55 PM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
how do you feel about vertical fishing vs casting? what do you prefer as far as search baits...crankbaits, c-rigs or what?

you find the thermocline with bait around, you are using a crankbait, do you want the crankbait to be above the bait or below the bait?

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: Mike Keenan] #3657674 07/05/09 06:15 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
If you graph a hump, roadbed, ect. and there is no fish (bass or baitfish) present on the depth finder do you stop to fish it or move on?

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life you´re living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #3657691 07/05/09 06:23 PM
B
BackofhisSkeeter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
How do you know it is Bass that you are seeing on the graph?

Re: Tips and Tricks...Deep Water Fishing on Lake Fork with Lance Vick [Re: BackofhisSkeeter] #3657714 07/05/09 06:36 PM
K
KB Rodgers Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
If he were fishing a lake like Ray Roberts that has no grass to key on, what structure would he fish?

KB

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide