texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Magellan Meridian Pros and Cons #35931 07/28/03 04:42 PM
J
Jeff Schiller Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
I know there has been some talk about GPS units on this board lately. But, I'm wondering if anyone out there has this particular unit.
I just found out I could get this unit at cost and was considering replacing my Magellan 315.
Any Pros and Cons? How's the software as far as lake topos?
Thanks in advance.
-Jeff

PS. Forgot to mention that I'm looking at the Platinum version.

[This message has been edited by JBrown (edited 07-28-2003).]

Re: Magellan Meridian Pros and Cons #35932 07/28/03 05:20 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
I purchased the Meridian Platinum GPS last month. Although I love it and its features, I have yet to discover anyone who makes lake maps that you can download into it. I think there are lake maps available for the Garmin GPS's, but I would ask before I buy.

I purchased Delorme Street Atlas 2003, so I could run my GPS through my laptop while driving. I was very impressed with the accuracy.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Magellan Meridian Pros and Cons #35933 07/28/03 05:35 PM
S
shawn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I have that unit and love it. the software that is preloaded on the unit has the lake map outlines and major road included. it does not show the map contours like the garmin units do...but make sure the lakes you fish are included with the garmin software...my lake (lavon) is not included so it was not worth the extra money to buy the garmin. I bought additional memory (64MB) and the streets and road software and love it. The meridian doesn't come with alot of extra memory like the other units do...but remember, unless you are going to load extra maps..you do not need the extra memory. It will store tons of waypoints with out the extra memory. By the time I bought all the bells and whistles for my unit (extra street maps, memory, and car charger) I was still around the price of a comparible garmin base unit. I have heard some complaints from other people using this unit, but honestly I don't know why. I love mine. I use it all the time on the water or going on trips. It has all the same features of more expensive units (speed, heading, waypoints, maps etc) but I bought mine for $99 at fry's electronics. plus is water proof (not just water resistant like alot of other units) and it floats (have not tested that yet ). I am not saying it is better than garmin...cuz I have never owned one of those..but it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

------------------

Re: Magellan Meridian Pros and Cons #35934 07/28/03 07:57 PM
M
mstewart Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I have been complaining about the Meridian Marine for some time. I purchased mine for $319.00 and for the price I could have purchased a great Garmin with Topography. There are no inland lakes maps offered by Magellan, unless it's one of the "Great Lakes", but I understand that the Blue-Navs saltwater maps are useful.

I fish Texoma, and I spoke with Magellan prior to spending the $319 (I also had a 315 unit) and they stated that in the spring they were going to come out with a comparable software to Garmin "Fishing Hot Spots". At the time the Magellan representative had a copy of the Blue Navs on his desk....testing it. I fish Texoma and Lewisville and I consider Texoma large enough for consideration, and they indicated that it would be in the software released in the spring (now they state that they are not releasing the software)...they don't even act like they care to compete with Garmin. This unit doesn't have too many more features than the 315. One feature I like about the 315 is the rings to give you an idea of the distance while traveling.

The 315 is not water proof, not even rain proof....(try splash proof). The Meridian marine is water proof and it floats. One thing that I didn't understand is that I was able to locate the Red River Channel on Texoma (near the 377 bridge), then I configured it to be used for Marine use, and the river channel no longer displays (that's really stupid). However, while configured for "Land Mode" the unit is accurate (I think this may because the Red River Channel is actually the boarder between Oklahoma and Texas.

I also found that I can be on the water (i.e. Lewisville) and the map will show me on land many miles from my position on the water, outside the lake boarder of the internal maps, but as far as providing way-points and routes (even through the cuts) it is very accurate. Critical for night time navigation, all I have to do is watch out for other boaters.

Magellan doesn't have very good software for fishing (as already stated)in fresh water, but you can visit the Garmin site and see the outstanding map features (http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/fhs.jsp# ) they provide with their units. I was impressed with the garmin mapping capabilities of lake Texoma. They don't have lake Lavon or Lewisville, but they do have Texoma (great detail).

I think you will find that most fisherman and hunters will select the Garmin units.

Re: Magellan Meridian Pros and Cons #35935 07/29/03 01:59 AM
S
shawn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
One thing i noticed is that when I bought the street and destinations cd (i think that is what it is called) it gave me much more accurate outlines of the lake..whole parts of the lake showed up that were not on the preloaded maps... Again, no lake bottom countours etc but just better shoreline definition. If your lake is one of the following:
Cedar Creek, TX
Choke Canyon, TX
Conroe, TX
Fayette County*, TX
Fork, TX
Houston*, TX
Lake O' the Pines*, TX
Livingston, TX
Meredith, TX
O.H. Ivie*, TX
Palestine, TX
Possum Kingdom, TX
Ray Hubbard*, TX
Ray Roberts, TX
Richland Chambers, TX
Sam Rayburn, TX
Toledo Bend, TX/LA

then garmin has a "hot spot" map for it.. I have seen one of those maps and they are great....the problem with texoma is...its ont the oklahoma set of maps (according to the website), so you would have to buy 2 sets of maps if you wanted tx lakes and texoma...i guess just bad luck on that...but if your lake is on the list...it would be a great resource. You can get more info on the maps by clicking here
If I were to get a garmin, i would save up and get the gpsmap76..that sucker is SWEET!

Good luck!

------------------

Re: Magellan Meridian Pros and Cons #35936 07/29/03 09:29 AM
B
bobberdown@live.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I have a garmin, handheld vista. This version on ebay sells for around 145-175.00 if you arent into the "brand new only" thing you can get even better deal. Anyway, my father bought the magellen meridian, thought he would save some $$ on the unit over a garmin. He has found it to be 10x less user friendly, the heading and bearing are reversed as to technically correct, and his waypoints dont map out, cant steer to, and so on that are 2 screens away on a garmin. Garmin is smaller, "vista" floats!
I know some buddies "I am military" that swear by the magellen models, but once they use a garmin etrex, they are converted, they also agree that they are much more user friendly and convenient.

just my .02 worth,
btw, dad is selling his magellen on ebay right now!

------------------
Get in, sit down, shut up and fish.

Re: Magellan Meridian Pros and Cons #35937 07/30/03 04:19 PM
J
Jeff Schiller Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
Thanks everyone for their feedback.
Looks like I may have to do some research on the Garmin and find one I like within that line.

Although, one other question. On Garmin's list of lakes, I rarely fish any of the lakes that they have maps for.
Still better to get a Garmin? What about feature advantages excluding the base maps?

Thanks again. Just trying to decrease my learning curve.
-Jeff

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide