Forums59
Topics1,039,218
Posts13,961,130
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? #3352898 04/15/09 05:22 PM
S
scout300 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Hi guys, I am looking for a pack or something that is light enough for me to carry while wading and will hold a fly rod and bait casting rod? Any suggestions? I had the though of getting a regular wading belt and cutting a opening in the pvc rod holders so the the fly rod would sit to where the reel was about half way down the pvc. Then it occurred to me that the elastic on these belts usually cover all the pvc and the reel wouldn't sit right.

Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: scout300] #3354669 04/16/09 12:10 AM
S
spiny norman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
It can be done. I modified a Numark belt to do this. Just get yourself a suitable pice of PVC, cut the slot like the one in the pictures and get to sanding. You need to have that little hook shape to get the rod to lock itself in place and not fall out.

The weight of the rod does make it want to pull away from your body somewhat but it does'nt fall out.

Last edited by spiny norman; 04/16/09 12:13 AM.
Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: spiny norman] #3356444 04/16/09 12:40 PM
R
redraiderfisher Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I thought I would add this to your thoughts. I have always been a wading belt guy too, but I saw a show down on the alabama coast and they had what looked like a floating bag stringer and on top was a complete lid which had rod holders a drink holder, place for tackle and other stuff. I had never seen that complete style before, I have used the floating bag stringer with the hard foam ring but never seen this. I thought it was great because I find myself deeper than my waist on many occasions and then the belt and tackle and reel is completely submerged for hours. I'm sure you could rig the rod holder or even bungy the fly rod to the top while bait casting. good luck.

www.landscapes-designer.com, landscape design and installation
Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: redraiderfisher] #3357034 04/16/09 03:18 PM
S
scout300 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
I've seen those floating stringer with the rod holders at Academy for 15$, I used to work there. I actually really used to like them, I had one with-out rod holders. I noticed though if I was stalking a fish with the basket that the waves would hit it and it would make slapping noise on the water and would spook fish off. I Never thought about replacing the PVC though and making it longer.

Do you wear a stripping basket? I'm not sure if I could just wear the stripping basket over a wading belt.

Does anyone know where I could get a back pack with rod holders on the side? I've seen a guy fishing Packery jetties with a back pack on.

Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: scout300] #3357396 04/16/09 04:46 PM
S
Salt396 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
A pack with rod holders? Very cool. Was it a do-it-yourself job or could you tell?
My flyrod fits snugly into my rod holder on my wading belt so I have no worries but when I inevitably upgrade to a better wading belt I will certainly take your excellent idea into consideration, spiny norman.

Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: Salt396] #3357818 04/16/09 06:24 PM
S
spiny norman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I generally don't wear a stripping basket on the flats unless the floating grass is really bad. I allways use one when on the jetties. I have seen firsthand what the combo of waves and granite can do to a fly line.

On the floating basket rig, I would probably attach a scotty type rod holder like the kind used on kayaks. I would want that 9 feet of graphite to have a low profile if I am slinging another lure overhead. With a belt, I know where that rod is sticking up. With a floating basket in the wind and waves, I couldn't be sure exactly where it was behind me.

Last edited by spiny norman; 04/16/09 06:43 PM.
Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: spiny norman] #3358603 04/16/09 09:32 PM
D
derik d Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I have this thing and it looks like they quit making it, sorry
rod holder

It's more than the catfish would do.
Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: Salt396] #3361183 04/17/09 02:14 PM
S
scout300 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Wader_noob
A pack with rod holders? Very cool. Was it a do-it-yourself job or could you tell?
My flyrod fits snugly into my rod holder on my wading belt so I have no worries but when I inevitably upgrade to a better wading belt I will certainly take your excellent idea into consideration, spiny norman.

I'm actually not sure. His parents own Port A outfitters and i'm heading up to Port A jetties right now, I am going to stop and ask him on the way back.

Weather is pretty bad but yesterday a buddy of mine hooked into a King but when his knot from his fly line to backing hit his first stripping guide his line broke. I had what I'm sure is a King cut half off the chartreuse buck tail off of my fly. I had that fly in my hat but when i took my rain coat off yesterday it went missing. I'll see if I can fine it and post a pic. Kind of embarassaing because it was one of the first flies I started tying and looks bad. Ohh well.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: scout300] #3366857 04/19/09 04:50 AM
S
scout300 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Yesterday was a little rough. Some friends and myself made our way down the jetties until we got about 20 ft or so from the end the waves were so bad they were crashing into the end of the jetty and hitting us 20 ft down the jetty. There was no bait getting hit so we made our way back down the jetty and went to Brown/Root where we didn't see any fish.

I lost 3 flies I had in my hat on the flats so all I had was a green and gold clouser. I did however get to use my new Van Staal reel on my buddies TFO BW Baby and I am in love. I think I'm going to get that same rod.

Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: scout300] #3384034 04/23/09 04:44 PM
S
Salt396 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: scout300

Weather is pretty bad but yesterday a buddy of mine hooked into a King but when his knot from his fly line to backing hit his first stripping guide his line broke. I had what I'm sure is a King cut half off the chartreuse buck tail off of my fly. I had that fly in my hat but when i took my rain coat off yesterday it went missing. I'll see if I can fine it and post a pic. Kind of embarassaing because it was one of the first flies I started tying and looks bad. Ohh well.

Thanks for all the help guys!

heck man, I'd LOVE to have a King even take a swipe at my fly. And as for it being ugly, hey, it got bitten in half right? obviously the fish thought it was good enough to eat, and that's really all you gotta worry about. I need to take my 10wt out to Port A and throw a big ugly fly or two.

Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: Salt396] #3385922 04/24/09 12:20 AM
C
Capt-Randy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I use pack made by Big Fish Wish.com Take a look at this it's been great!

Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: Capt-Randy] #3454722 05/12/09 01:40 AM
S
SnoBoy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Here is my solution:

I clip a 10 foot line to the zip ties on the side (not the loop on top that I originally was planning to use) and then clip to my wadng belt. There is a line underneath with a 1 lb. bank sinker to keep it counter balanced in the waves. The top is a 5 gallon bucket lid and the float is 2 of the do-nets glued together with calk inside and out as the voids are inside and I wanted the extra bouancy. It had three tubes, one for fly rod, one for casting adn one for spinning - what I am not using is in the float.

Last edited by SnoBoy; 05/12/09 01:46 AM.

SnoBoy (not a yankee, it's my trail name)
Flyfisher, baitcaster, spinfisherman - just catch the fish, man!
Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: SnoBoy] #3455040 05/12/09 02:45 AM
S
Salt396 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Very clever sir. I commend you. smile

Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: Salt396] #3455324 05/12/09 03:57 AM
S
scout300 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
I used to have one of those stringers/ live wells that was belt with those same styro-foam donuts and when I would be wading on a day w/ any chop at all in the water it would make a slapping nose as waves came to it and occasionally spook fish. I think with that counter balance it would work and reduce if not eliminate all that slapping.

Do you think you can send a pic of the bottom so I can see that counter weight? What about wading in really shallow water? Do you ever get your tippet caught in your other rods on the back-cast? Very interesting though, I think I'll have to build one and find out for myself.

Re: Looking for a wading belt or pack that I can carry a fly rod and a bait casting rod? [Re: scout300] #3455917 05/12/09 12:35 PM
S
SnoBoy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Sure! It is red because I dipped it in the plastic stuff for tool handles so itwouldn't mark up boat decks.

Last edited by SnoBoy; 05/13/09 02:06 AM.

SnoBoy (not a yankee, it's my trail name)
Flyfisher, baitcaster, spinfisherman - just catch the fish, man!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide