Galveston South Jetty Questions #2025663 03/01/08 02:30 PM
F
FishingNewbie Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the forums, but have spent literally hours of reading and browsing around trying to learn as much about fishing as I can. I've always enjoyed it, but it was always more of a relaxation getaway and I had always assumed that if I just get dead shrimp, put it on a hook tied on with any knot, and threw it out in the water and reeled it in slow that I would catch something. I never took into account the weather, tides, water color, etc... so i get skunked constantly.

So i'm going fishing at the south jetty tomorrow, mainly because i've read a few good posts about it lately, but i really want to make sure I don't get skunked, yet again. I have a few questions that none of the websites I visited have gone into detail with so I hope you all can help.

My basic setup for fishing:
1. I use those metal leaders from walmart that you just tie a weight on at the end of one side and the hook on the other. I'm not sure how much weight I should put on the leader, but I usually use the 2 ounce I think it is so I can cast it far. Is this a good amount of weight?

2. I put dead shrimp on a hook and then throw it out, pull in the tension to feel anything, then just wait basically occasionally reeling it in slowly. If I use crab, I break it in half and then just let it sit after I cast. Is this right? Should I break off only 1 side of the legs or leave the legs on?

I know I have to be doing something wrong, but I have no idea. I really would like to catch reds, sheeps, and others, but I'm not sure exactly how to and I keep reading but am still not confident about tomorrow.

Can a few of the members walk me through their setup, including casting ie: When you cast it do you let it sit or reel it in slowly, or jerk it in as youy reel in, etc..,what type of bait to use at this time, I was thinking dead shrimp and crab,and bascialy anything else that may help.

I've noticed how helpful these forums are and I'm at the point where I'm tired of reading hoping to find the answer so I figured I'd ask the pros here. Thanks ahead of time.

Re: Galveston South Jetty Questions [Re: FishingNewbie] #2025775 03/01/08 03:41 PM
S
Shrimp Chips Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
pm sent

Re: Galveston South Jetty Questions [Re: Shrimp Chips] #2081096 03/17/08 08:18 PM
J
jr2946 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Shrimp Chips can you give any info, I have the same question. I will be going down there from Fort Worth next month. I have had many bad days of fishing.

Re: Galveston South Jetty Questions [Re: jr2946] #2081725 03/17/08 11:33 PM
3un Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
well i'm a avid jetty fisherman myself (although i don't have much credit here)

You got the crab deal right, but honestly it'd be better to make your own rigs...i feel the weird steel and beads or what not on those rigs from walmart have a tendency to scare fish... I jus use the line and make something like this

i jus put on a wide gap hook through the loop and put a 3oz weight on the single line end. The reason is i found that the single line end is weaker and usually gives out if u get hung up or anything.

I use a split crab and jus let it have a good soak time.

As far as shrimp there are about 3289508329328 million ways to use it...imo the best is about 3ft-4ft of leader with a popping cork on top and a piece of dead shrimp or live shrimp on a #6 treble hook(i prefer the bronze ones i forgot what brand they were) there is also the lemon rig which works great. But if the lemon rig is a bit heavy for your rod setup i jus use a popping cork on the end instead of the artificial lemon thingie.

if you have anymore questions or want some more AWESOME(lol) pictures of rigs lmk

Re: Galveston South Jetty Questions [Re: 3un] #2140563 04/04/08 07:44 PM
F
FishingNewbie Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
I had a question about the wind and tides for the Galveston South an North Jetties. If I am standing on the south jetty casting out, which direction of wind should I be looking for? I was thinking south wind so that it flattens the waves, but I've never asked before. Also, the same question for the north jetty.

Another question I had was should I invest in a pair of waders now even though the temperature is going to keep rising until it reaches that of the sun? If so, what kind? I've heard about other pants that I can buy from Academy that are quick drying and i'm not sure which to buy because i'm tired of getting soaked when fishing the jetties.

Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate the time you all take to help many of us out.

Re: Galveston South Jetty Questions [Re: FishingNewbie] #2149230 04/07/08 09:26 PM
D
Dfisherman08 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
if im fishing on the south jetty..which side is best to catch flounder and trout on?????

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide