Print Thread
SUPPER BASIC... bass guy hungry for crappie!!! #2125494 03/31/08 11:38 PM
C
catslayer Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
OK so been a long time since I've caught a crappie, since my grandfather passed and I've never fished for them other than in the spawn so I'm gona throw out a couple techniques i've deduced from reading and yall point out where I'm wrong lol

Brush piles- Sounds like this is the summer go to spot but I was wondering how deep? Like 5 feet or like 35? Minnows and jigs seem interchangeable but ony any given day one may work better than others

Rock points (rip-rap on dam)- Another spot that seems like ppl catch'em all year. Seems to be the main place for spider riging. again how deep? Also wondering if the GIANT rods are neccisary. I'm on a real tight budget. Also if it is a point should I be looking at the windward side or the leeward side of the point

In creeks and rivers- any Ideas about how they are going to be relating to current.

I fish the brazos some, mainly Pat Cleburne and the Nolan, Whitney about 1 every couple mounths. Any addvice is GREATLY apprectiated. Was to young when my granddad passed to really learn his techniques... Thanks yall

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: SUPPER BASIC... bass guy hungry for crappie!!! [Re: catslayer] #2127472 04/01/08 01:16 PM
R
RAM Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Everywhere you fish for LMB, you can fish for crappie.
Some folks like jigs and do well without ever using minnows. Sometimes, it pays to bring along a dozen or so minnows.

I don't think crappie relate to current very well. During the spawn, I read from the folks here at TFF that they bite in the shallows....depth relative to clarity of the water. Stained - 3-4 ft., clear 8-12ft. I usually catch them in clear impoundments in about 12-35ft of water.

I prefer jigs to minnows but love to use shad when they are available.

That's my opinion...I could be wrong.

R

Last edited by RAM; 04/01/08 01:17 PM.

Where do they go when they're not there???
Re: SUPPER BASIC... bass guy hungry for crappie!!! [Re: RAM] #2127769 04/01/08 02:44 PM
E
EarlG Offline
Angler
Angler
E

Real basic, fish bridge pilings and put your brush in 20 to 30'.

The rock points under bridges work because you can reach relatively deep water from the bank.

You can troll a bandit around the bridge pilings and riprap and catcha few crappie along with bass and everything else.

Get Ernest Paty's video.

Crappie are much harder to find than bass in my opinion.

Re: SUPPER BASIC... bass guy hungry for crappie!!! [Re: EarlG] #2127999 04/01/08 04:01 PM
O
OldSaltDog Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
O
"Brush piles- Sounds like this is the summer go to spot but I was wondering how deep? Like 5 feet or like 35? Minnows and jigs seem interchangeable but ony any given day one may work better than others"

usually a good brush pile for summer is set at 10'-20'feet usually close to deep water ie creek channel with access to shallower water as well. also it is best if you can drop the brush pile in an area with relatively little other structure around if possible. for example, setting out a brush pile in an area with lots of other brush might not work as well. do not bait the hole either as this will attract catfish.

"In creeks and rivers- any Ideas about how they are going to be relating to current."

look for crappie in the bends around wood structure with shallow water close by. unless they are actively feeding crappie will not suspend in current. what i've found is that once or twice a day usually in the morning and again in the afternoon crappie will actively feed and will chase shad into the current otherwise they hang back close to and in the brush.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide