Page 1 of 2 1 2
How hard is it set up an online tackle business? #1937534 02/03/08 02:03 AM
R
rbadley Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
How hard is it up an online handtied crappie jig business? I'm looking to possibly start one and want some advice on the process of filing sales tax forms, etc. What all do I need to do? Need this information to know if its all worth it or not. Thanks

Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: rbadley] #1937720 02/03/08 04:43 AM
T
txbazzman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
A lot of it depends on your computer knowledge. There is more expense to designing a website than people realize

Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: txbazzman] #1937733 02/03/08 05:17 AM
T
Tony from Oak Point Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I don't know much about the tackle business, but my wife runs a small online business. The way most people do a small web business is to set up a website, set up a paypal account to receive payments, and utilize a shopping cart service to handle the transactions (paypal gets a cut off of your sales, shopping cart and website don't have to cost much). Another way would be to create an ebay business, but you are giving a bigger cut to them.

You have to file with the tax office and keep some records. If all of your transactions are handled through paypal that is one easy way to keep track of things. Another helpful thing is to get set up to print your own postage. You can mail domestic orders under a certain weight straight from your mailbox which is a great time saver. Hope this helps.

Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: Tony from Oak Point] #1938008 02/03/08 12:41 PM
C
cudakilla Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Setting up an onlne business is not easy like txbazzman says. For that matter being a successful businessman is even harder. There are so many skills involved. The good thing is that the internet has been a revolution for the small business. It has been the 'great equalizer' that has allowed small businesses to compete with companies 100 times their size. I know because when I started mine we were on the back end of a very crowded market. I studied the competition ahead of me and built the site to capitalize on their weaknesses. Today (3 yrs later) we lead the field (or at least in the top 3) and have put two of them out of business. We now get 850K hits a month and about 28K unique visitors.

There are some basic things that need to be considered.

1) There are a berzillion websites out there. You can't build a site and hope that customers will come. If you build it right they will eventually, over a long time but that may not be fast enough to deal with webhosting, merchant card fees, internet access and other misc overheads.

2) For a website to attract visitors, you need the search engines to find you. To do that, content is everything. Relevant content with as many fishing keywords as possible. Pretend you are looking for crappie fishing information and do an online search for things like 'crappie jigs', crappie fishing lures' etc and see what you find. Write your articles with as many of those keywords as possible. In a nut shell, 'search engine optimization' (SEO) will make or break you. You need to research this well.

3) Keep good records of your expenses. Everyone should have a small business for tax purposes. Almost everything can be written off. Keep in mind that you can't declare a loss for too long or the IRS will audit you.

First thing you should do is find a name. Register a DBA with your county. Make sure that name can be translated into a domain name that is available. Set up a bank account for that business with it's own checks. To sell and accept payments, Paypal or one of the other online merchant services providers are good for small businesses but the fees are pretty high per transaction. Not so important for small volumes but they really add up when you get bigger. Online shopping carts that are attached to your website is another nightmare.

I would concentrate on building a good website with as much info as possible about the target subject. Keep adding information until Google finds you. Watch the statistics reporting that your website service provider gives you as part of the hosting package and track your traffic. If you are non-commercial, many forums and discussion boards will not prohibit you from posting links to your articles. This is a good way for Google to find you and for you to promote your site. When your traffic is good, that is when you add your articles about your products and then add shopping.

So many things to be consider. But the most important is to get it going once these basic things are considered.

Last edited by cudakilla; 02/03/08 12:45 PM.

www.cudakilla.com
"The best fisherman I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them." John Gierach
Cudakilla Videos
Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: cudakilla] #1938036 02/03/08 12:57 PM
D
DCS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Is there a big demand for hand tied crappie jigs?

Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: DCS] #1938422 02/03/08 04:32 PM
Cameron Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If you want to go cheap set up an ebay store and send word of mouth to it.

Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: Cameron] #1938661 02/03/08 07:09 PM
J
Just_Old_Fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Before you invest a lot of time & money, estimate what your expenses will be for website, paypal, material to make the jigs and what your time is worth per hour making the jigs and handling the BS that comes with any business. Make a best guess at how many jigs you would have to make AND sell to offset your expenses. Now do you have the time & desire to devote to it?

Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: Just_Old_Fisherman] #1940420 02/04/08 01:14 PM
A
Allen_TX_Basser Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
rbadley - Go for it man. Dont worry about all the drama. Websites are a dime a dozen. I would suggest spending your time on your jigs and fine someone to build the website and optimize it for the seach engines for you. Do what you do, build jigs, and let someone that knows SEO work onthe site for you. The startup cost is somewhat small depending how intricate you want to get. Depending on where you live I can point you inthe right direction when you get ready to start.

http://www.northtxfishing.com
Built by anglers for anglers.
Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: Allen_TX_Basser] #1940501 02/04/08 01:48 PM
Joefishin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Just_Old_Fisherman
Before you invest a lot of time & money, estimate what your expenses will be for website, paypal, material to make the jigs and what your time is worth per hour making the jigs and handling the BS that comes with any business. Make a best guess at how many jigs you would have to make AND sell to offset your expenses. Now do you have the time & desire to devote to it?

Quoted for emphasis, been there and doing that. That is the best advice given, besides what Cudakilla said.

First and foremost how much money can you make off the jigs. Then figure out how many you have to make and sell per month just to cover expenses. It may not be worth it, once you figure out that number wink

Last edited by Joey Deans; 02/04/08 01:48 PM.
Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: Joefishin] #1941343 02/04/08 06:21 PM
C
cudakilla Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Joey Deans
Originally Posted By: Just_Old_Fisherman

Quoted for emphasis, been there and doing that. That is the best advice given, besides what Cudakilla said.

First and foremost how much money can you make off the jigs. Then figure out how many you have to make and sell per month just to cover expenses. It may not be worth it, once you figure out that number wink

Unless the plan is to have a bunch of write offs for a few years. smile

Last edited by cudakilla; 02/04/08 06:22 PM.

www.cudakilla.com
"The best fisherman I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them." John Gierach
Cudakilla Videos
Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: cudakilla] #1942610 02/04/08 11:53 PM
S
Skeeter Temp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Ebay all the way

Rip some LIPS!!!

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for his friends
Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: Skeeter Temp] #1942787 02/05/08 12:33 AM
txwhitetail Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Check out www.ftn-webs.com

Mike sets up some awesome small business websites at great prices.

JR

Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: txwhitetail] #1942896 02/05/08 01:00 AM
H
have_rod_reel_travel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Before you sink money into this make sure this is what you want to do, because it will cost you early. You need to start with the cost of your product (What it cost you to make your jigs) plus website domain and hosting plus someone to build your site. My store is not open and money is flying out of my pocket and I have not paid a dime yet for the website hosting, I do web design so that cost is free for that service but the more I look the more people tie jigs and sell them, what will make your jigs stand out in the crowd is the first thing you will have to figure out... Good luck...

Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: rbadley] #13056272 02/08/19 10:07 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/smal...re-of-fishing-and-archery-products#whois

Don’t forget the 10% federal excise tax due to the IRS on every thing you make and sell that has anything to do with fishing.

Re: How hard is it set up an online tackle business? [Re: rbadley] #13056506 02/08/19 03:14 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
One thing to consider in your start-up costs is possibly forming a limited liability entity - corporation, LLC or such. You can find the costs on the Secretary of State website - typically $300 to $600 in filing fees.

https://www.sos.texas.gov/corp/filingandothergeneralfaqs.shtml

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide