Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: gdr_11] #14735644 05/31/23 01:22 PM
C
Crowbar Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Could it possibly be an ocelot? I have seen them twice on the bank at Fayette County Reservoir.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading
Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: gdr_11] #14735654 05/31/23 01:31 PM
Chris B Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It’s getting deep in here. Better get my mud boots on.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: gdr_11] #14735664 05/31/23 01:46 PM
B
Bayou Burner Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Couple of years ago, a long time family friend told me he saw one on his daily drive through our small town, about a mile south of me on our main CR. I was skeptical. 2 days later, one evening I saw something cross the road about 80yard ahead of me almost big as a dog but was not. It was moving like a cat, dark color pattern, and definitely wasn’t a bobcat(They’re in my area too) The area was at a corner turn very close to the bayou. Heavy brush and cover. I see lots of deer around there too.

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

John Wayne

ADHAERO VIRTUTI
Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: Dubee] #14735666 05/31/23 01:48 PM
L
leethefishking Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Dubee
Jaguarundi aren't"still around" because they have never been around there. There have only been 5 documented jaguarundi in Texas. The. Last one was in 1986 and all 5 were in 2 counties in the very southern tip of Texas. They require a very specific habitat.
Dubee, I’m going to blow your mind here but back in the 70’s Conoco’s Conquisti project which was a uranium mining operation dug two out of a deep cave on the corner of Karnes and Wilson counties. Not knowing what they were they were killed. One of them was taxidermied and to this day hangs in mule skinners bar on the county line. I drank many a beer looking at that ugly thing and most of my family worked for Conoco back when this happened and had first hand knowledge. The owner of that bar finally died but I’m sure it’s still there. And before you say it was mis identified I predator hunt year round for nuisance animals and have killed a bunch. I have never personally called one in which makes me think those were the last two around there.

Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: gdr_11] #14735685 05/31/23 02:17 PM
J
jrs_39 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I've predator hunted my whole life. Killed dozens of bobcats, two mountain lions, and 100's of feral cats. At noon one day, in Coleman county, a jaguarundi stopped in the middle of the road 20 yards in front of me. I was sober, and had three three soberish witnesses with me.

My guess is they are more widespread than we think and cause the majority of "black panther" claims.

Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: gdr_11] #14735693 05/31/23 02:32 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Cool looking animal with an unusual sound if this video is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaGxJMVwSrU

Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: jrs_39] #14735704 05/31/23 02:42 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by leethefishking
Originally Posted by Dubee
Jaguarundi aren't"still around" because they have never been around there. There have only been 5 documented jaguarundi in Texas. The. Last one was in 1986 and all 5 were in 2 counties in the very southern tip of Texas. They require a very specific habitat.
Dubee, I’m going to blow your mind here but back in the 70’s Conoco’s Conquisti project which was a uranium mining operation dug two out of a deep cave on the corner of Karnes and Wilson counties. Not knowing what they were they were killed. One of them was taxidermied and to this day hangs in mule skinners bar on the county line. I drank many a beer looking at that ugly thing and most of my family worked for Conoco back when this happened and had first hand knowledge. The owner of that bar finally died but I’m sure it’s still there. And before you say it was mis identified I predator hunt year round for nuisance animals and have killed a bunch. I have never personally called one in which makes me think those were the last two around there.

His mind is not blown, it is set in its ways and thus an immovable object. Those animals can't exist there due to the habitat there because it will not contain prey species for those felines.

Originally Posted by jrs_39
I've predator hunted my whole life. Killed dozens of bobcats, two mountain lions, and 100's of feral cats. At noon one day, in Coleman county, a jaguarundi stopped in the middle of the road 20 yards in front of me. I was sober, and had three three soberish witnesses with me.

My guess is they are more widespread than we think and cause the majority of "black panther" claims.

No, your guess is wrong and they are not there. Impossible ! Obviously even when sober it is possible to hallucinate. Coleman county is way, way, way out of any possible range of these predators. You probably had a vision or mistakenly and amateurishly identified a common house cat as a jaguarundi. Dubee has read Wiki the internet, and what TPWD has to say and they all say not possible. NOT possible ! There's no suitable habitat or prey (see my above response).

I even saw a TPWD video where a biologist (20 something young guy) said they were extirpated from Texas. Haven't been one here in 40 years and then only in those 2 counties.

No wavering on this! Set in stone! Or concrete (5 sack mix). No wiggle room!

Sober?

BTW, there are very few if any pumas in East Texas. Probably none! No support habitat! No hard evidence.

Next !

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: gdr_11] #14735710 05/31/23 02:48 PM
N
NoWeighers Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
I have been in Zapata full time for fifteen years, and I speak to many ranchers and hunters from Zapata and Starr counties. I have probably heard of four or five sightings over the years that folks are sure they saw a jaguarundi.

Whether they did or not I do not know, but I'd bet that some or the sightings are real..

Still have heard of no Bigfoot sightings down here..

James Bendele
Falcon Lake Tackle
"On the eighth day, Man invented the Fish Hook."
Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: gdr_11] #14735714 05/31/23 02:54 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Squatch will not roam south of I-10, unless forced by urban development.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: gdr_11] #14735758 05/31/23 03:42 PM
H
Hookem Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
In 1969 (10 years old), a bunch of us kids were roaming the hills on the backside of City Park(Emma Long). The hills had cuts that you could climb to the top. Back then, there was nothing west of Austin except for scattered homesteads.

After roaming one day and climbing back down, rocks came tumbling down. We stopped and looked up and saw a large black cat cross the cut. May have been a melanin type of a cougar but still black.

Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: gdr_11] #14735849 05/31/23 05:14 PM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I can’t remember what year but years back Texas parks and wildlife magazine had a really good articulate on Jaguarundi. I want to say they had a pic of one taken at Laguna Atascosa on the front cover.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: RayBob] #14735945 05/31/23 06:45 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by RayBob
Originally Posted by E8C-ENG
Originally Posted by deerfeeder
I have actually seen one years ago at the Santa Ana Wildlife Refuge, down in the Valley. We were sneaking in to lay in on a crossing, from Mexico, to catch some smugglers. It was at about evening twilight. no sun, but not quite dark.

Same time of day I saw it. Was casually walking the shoreline in this pic
[Linked Image]

Impossible ! Way too far north.

What are we looking at here? Old busted up boat houses dont go that far north?

Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14736003 05/31/23 07:28 PM
J
Jaredk Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Originally Posted by RayBob
Originally Posted by E8C-ENG
Originally Posted by deerfeeder
I have actually seen one years ago at the Santa Ana Wildlife Refuge, down in the Valley. We were sneaking in to lay in on a crossing, from Mexico, to catch some smugglers. It was at about evening twilight. no sun, but not quite dark.

Same time of day I saw it. Was casually walking the shoreline in this pic
[Linked Image]

Impossible ! Way too far north.

What are we looking at here? Old busted up boat houses dont go that far north?

Land cut. WAY south. It’s an absolute blast…I’d highly recommend it. Can spend a week out there and never see another human. Nilgai roam the shores…pretty cool to see
[Linked Image]

Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: Hookem] #14736021 05/31/23 07:40 PM
S
sprigsss Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Hookem
. We stopped and looked up and saw a large black cat cross the cut. May have been a melanin type of a cougar but still black.

Cougars don't exist in the melanistic phase.

Black panthers simply don't exist in the U.S.

The only possibility is a black jaguar. Black Jaguar's make up a small percentage of the jaguar population. So if people are seeing black jaguars, why are there so many more reported sightings of black panthers than of the more common jaguar coloration?

I was at Lake Stamford this weekend and made a quick trip to town. While crossing the lake on the southern end, I saw a black animal with a longish tail crossing the road. From a 1/2 mile away I thought it was the size of a coyote. Really got me curious about what I was seeing. As soon as a made it across the bridge I stopped and looked around. There just off the road stood a standard sized black house cat eating on road kill. It looked way bigger from a 1/2 mile away than it actually was.

Re: Texas Jaguarundi [Re: gdr_11] #14736027 05/31/23 07:45 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
99% of people could not differentiate between a black panther, a black jaguar, a black cougar, or a black mountain lion.
Because the Carolina Panthers have a black panther on their stadium and helmets, people will just say black panther.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide