Print Thread
Utility trailer great for 12' jon boat #14719593 05/13/23 08:58 PM
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Up until last week, I struggled to get my 12' Jon into the back of the p/u and then had to jump down to the ground after hauling it forward. (...easier than lifting the bow up and picking up the back end to shove it forward.) A buddy suggested I get a trailer, no way a boat trailer which would have been out of my price range. So, for the h of it, I visited Tractor Supply and found a 10' utility trailer for $1,000 which meant the back of the boat would only hang off a few feet.

When I got it home, I loaded the boat and used ratchet straps to secure it, went for a drive and noticed the boat was not secure. The painted back gate was down which made it worse. So, I took the back gate off, strapped the boat forward and toward the back but also strapped the bow handle to the trailer handle on the hitch. The boat is now flat on the treated wood floor and goes nowhere even on bumpy roads.

Launching it is no different than when I launched my bass boat years ago. The back end of the trailer goes into the water a few feet and the boat slides off with the gas boat motor, trolling motor & battery still in place. (Before, I had to load the three into the truck in order to load the boat.) Getting it back on the trailer is just as easy - pulling the bow all the way forward via a rope and strapping it to the three spots starting with the bow strap.

It will work just as well with my heavy 10' V bottom al boat. Now all I need is a tarp to cover all my gear stored in the boat for when it rains.

Attached Files trailer.jpg
Last edited by SenkoSam; 05/19/23 03:44 AM.
Re: Utility trailer great for 12' jon boat [Re: SenkoSam] #14725241 05/19/23 03:20 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
After making sure the boat doesn't move on transport, I noticed a few problems that needed solutions.
When the trailer is attached to the ball hitch, the angle where it was attached was too steep resulting in a lot more rattle between the two. The trailer should be horizontal to the ground, NOT as shown below! [Linked Image]

One thing I bought that allowed me to lower the ball was the contraption shown.
[Linked Image]

There are six height adjustments to lower or raise the ball on the truck. Now the trailer tows more smoothly and the low-mounted license plate doesn't keep getting bent on bumpy ground.

Ratchet straps are a must and I now have five:
one from the bow to the hitch
one across the boat more to the front
one more to the rear
one to keep the gas motor from rocking when locked into the horizontal position. This saves the transom.
one to the tolling motor to keep it from rocking.

There is another addition to keep the rattle to a minimum called a Hitch Tightener Anti Rattle Stabilizer.
[Linked Image]
It rides over the insert to the hitch at the tow vehicle and can be mounted on top or on the bottom.

Like my bass boat, only the anchor has to be removed in case of an accident. Everything else stays in the boat.
The livewell is now a pleasure to use in that I don't need to have two boxes: one in the boat and one in the truck that fish are transported in on the way home. The one in the boat is 3/4 filled and a battery-powered aerator keeps a dozen fish alive exceptionally well even in 4 gal. of water. I put fish in my pond.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 05/19/23 03:53 AM.
Re: Utility trailer great for 12' jon boat [Re: SenkoSam] #14725459 05/19/23 01:13 PM
G
gar1970 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
G
What year is your boat? I have a 1975 sears 12ft jon looks alot like that one.
One thing on your trailer is the lights. Are they submersible?

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide