Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,208
Posts13,960,994
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Exactly 88 Fish in a Wind of Approximately 88 mph!! - Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs and MAL Heavy Lures, 28 March #14674603 03/29/23 02:35 AM
Holding The Line Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
WHO I FISHED WITH: This morning, Tuesday, March 28, I fished with returning guest Sonny Monroe, a retired educator now residing in Nolanville. Accompanying him were two first time guests, Jerry Vaughn, of Taylor, TX, and Garland Tiner from near Odessa, TX. The two men are also retired educators and friends of Sonnyโ€™s

The status of this trip was in question right up to the moment I arrived at the boat ramp, due to very high winds, following the passage of a cold front in the overnight hours.

An area to the south of us, between Georgetown and Fredericksburg, was actually under an NOAA high wind warning for most of the day today.

We were able to fish some protected areas today and still manage to put together a pretty good catch. I just hated to cancel the trip, as Garland had driven in all the way from Odessa to participate.

Here is how the fishing wentโ€ฆ

โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€“

Peak spring dates are just about gone. Hereโ€™s an up-to-date calendar so you can check availability: https://holdingthelineguideservice.com/available-dates.php

Next available dates are April 21 (PM), May 15 (AM), 30 (AM), 31 (AM)

[Linked Image]

PHOTO CAPTION: Garland Tiner from the Odessa area traveled in the day before, lodged locally, and fished with me this morning. He landed the largest of the 88 fish we caught and released today. This hybrid fell for an MAL Heavy with chartreuse tail.

[Linked Image]

PHOTO CAPTION: My windy-day crew of Garland Tiner, Jerry Vaughn, and Sonny Monroe with a few of the 88 fish they landed following a strong cold frontโ€™s passage.

[Linked Image]

PHOTO CAPTION: This is what caught all of our quality fish today. The MAL Heavy with chartreuse tail was either counted down 6 or 8 seconds and then retrieved straight back through fish pushing shad to the surface, or reeled straight up off bottom when active fish were suspending off bottom.

WHERE WE FISHED: Lake Belton

WHEN WE FISHED: Tuesday, 28 March 2023 (AM)

HOW WE FISHED:

As has been the case over the past few weeks, we had a slow first hour, and a slowing of action in the final hour, with peak activity in the middle, roughly between 9 and 11 AM.

During the slow times at the beginning and end of the trip, we worked slabs slowly, using a slow,-smoking tactic fishing the white, 5/8 oz. Bladed Hazy Eye Slab vertically for white bass, which were heavily grouped together and clinging tightly to bottom.

During the more productive mid part of the trip, birds pointed the way to active fish, consuming shad throughout the water column, and in some cases all the way up to the surface. These fish were much more aggressive, thus we fished the faster moving MAL Heavy with chartreuse tail both vertically and horizontally.

When fished vertically, we used a smoking tactic; when fished horizontally, we counted the lure down using a six or eight count, and then begin a plain-Jane, steady retrieve all the way back to the boat. Although there were certainly exceptions, generally speaking, the fish we caught early (which were hugging bottom) tended to be smaller fish, whereas the fish we caught under birds with the more active tactics tended to be better quality fish.

When all was said and done, we landed 88 fish, including four hybrid, of which three were of legal size.

TALLY: 88 fish caught and released

Find Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs and MAL Lures here: https://whitebasstools.com/

OBSERVATIONS: The surface temperature slid back to 59.9F after rising above 60F for the second time this spring yesterday.

WEATHER DATA:

Start Time: 7:45A

End Time: 11:55A

Air Temp. @ Tripโ€™s Start: 55F

Elevation: 14.30 feet low, 24 CFS flow, .03โ€ฒ fall over the last 24 hrs.

Water Surface Temp: 59.9F on the surface.

Wind Speed & Direction: NNW18-22 all morning with higher gusts

Sky Condition: 90% white-grey cloud cover.

Moon Phase: Waxing crescent moon at 44% illumination.

GT = 150

Wx SNAPSHOT:

[Linked Image]

AREAS FISHED WITH SUCCESS:

Area 1916 โ€“ 4 fiag
Area 1909/308 โ€“ 16 fish
Area B0210G โ€“ 14 fish
Area B0009C (2 hops) 4 fish
Area B0082G โ€“ 47 fish
Area 387 โ€“ 3 fish

Bob Maindelle

Full-time, Professional Fishing Guide and Owner of Holding the Line Guide Service

Belton Lake Fishing Guide, Stillhouse Hollow Fishing Guide

254.368.7411 (call or text)

E-mail: Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/bobmaindelle

Twitter: www.twitter.com/bobmaindelle

#WhiteBassFishing #LakeBelton #StillhouseHollow #BeltonFishingGuide #LakeBeltonFishingGuide #BeltonLakeFishingGuide #stripers #stripedbassfishing #rockfish #sandbass #freshwaterfishing #fishing #bass #bassfishing #whitebass #panfish #crappie #fishingonaboat #fishingtackle #fishinglife #fishingsport #fishingaddict #fishingpicoftheday #fishingtime #fishinggear #fishingday #Fitec

Last edited by Holding The Line; 03/29/23 09:42 PM.

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: Exactly 88 Fish in a Wind of Approximately 88 mph!! - Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs and MAL Heavy Lures, 28 March [Re: Holding The Line] #14674628 03/29/23 03:48 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Nice post. Good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Exactly 88 Fish in a Wind of Approximately 88 mph!! - Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs and MAL Heavy Lures, 28 March [Re: Holding The Line] #14675403 03/29/23 09:43 PM
Holding The Line Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Pictures now properly uploaded. They didn't "take" on the first attempt yesterday.

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide