Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope #14672131 03/26/23 11:31 PM
Holding The Line Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
The following is a cut-and-paste from my weekly newspaper column...

BOB MAINDELLE: What the ads do not tell you about Garmin LiveScope
By Bob Maindelle | For the Herald March 26, 2023

Right from the outset I am going to tell you that this article is not about bashing Garmin’s LiveScope technology.

When it comes to this state-of-the-art sonar technology, I am all in, having invested in the original Garmin LiveScope with LVS32 transducer and blackbox just weeks after the company introduced this technology.

I was so impressed with what I saw that I added a second complete LiveScope setup so I can run parallel systems on the port and starboard sides of my boat, ensuring every client has an excellent view of the underwater world.

Since those initial investments, I added two more control heads for a total of four LiveScope-dedicated sonar units on the boat with a pair on the port side (one master unit and one slave unit connected to the master with a networking cable), and a like pair on the starboard side.

Additionally, I have upgraded one of the LVS32 transducers to an LVS34 transducer. I upgraded the other LVS32 to an XR (extended range) LVS62 transducer.

So, given this column’s title, what exactly am I addressing in this article? I want to identify two traps I see anglers falling into as they see, for the first time, the incredible detail of the underwater world these sonar units offer.

These pitfalls are not shortfalls in the technology, but rather are in the form of angler reactions to what is being witnessed, and the negative impact on fishing results that those reactions bring about.

The first pitfall is staying in an unproductive area too long just because fish are showing on the LiveScope screen.

Fish, like humans, have daily cycles of activity they go through. Fish, like humans, do not (cannot) eat around the clock. There are times when fish aggressively chase bait and gorge themselves, there are times when fish will not chase but will eat if something gets close enough and makes for an easy meal, and there are times when fish will not eat.

Just because you find fish does not mean those fish are going to be catchable. Many times I find fish, present a bait to them, find they are not receptive, and depart only to return sometime later to recheck on their activity level. Sometimes I recheck multiple times. Sometimes these rechecks lead to finding fish in a more aggressive mood than when I first found them, sometimes not.

So the problem with Garmin LiveScope is that it does such a wonderful job of showing fish in a way that the average angler is not accustomed to seeing on down-imaging, side-imaging or colored sonar that anglers become enamored with what they are seeing and simply stay and stay and stay in the same area as long as fish are there, just hoping the fish they have found will turn on.

The better bet is to acknowledge the presence of the fish, acknowledge the fishes’ inactivity, and then continue on in search of a different population of fish at a different point in their feeding cycle which can, therefore, be caught more easily.

Allow half an hour or so to transpire and then go back and check those inactive fish out once again.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: This Garmin LiveScope screenshot shows an aggressive white bass feeding frenzy taking place on Belton Lake on March 23, 2023. The accompanying article addresses what steps an angler should take when fish are not so aggressive.

The second pitfall brought about by the incredible detail Garmin LiveScope renders is related to the first.

I tell clients all the time, “If you don’t deal well with rejection, don’t get Garmin LiveScope.”

Even under the best of circumstances — great weather, ideal lure or bait choice, aggressively feeding fish — still only a fraction of the fish you see on Garmin LiveScope are going to be able to be fooled by whatever you choose to present with a fishing line attached to it.

These are wild creatures accustomed to seeing their forage swim and behave in a certain way. Very rarely can you tether a lure or live bait to a line and hook and get it to imitate forage precisely. When gamefish see something is amiss, they hesitate or outright refuse to chase and eat.

Many anglers who come aboard my boat, who themselves own Garmin LiveScope technology, express how frustrated they get at seeing fish they cannot catch.

Most tell me one of two things: either they take away from this that they are just not a good angler, or that they try unsuccessfully to engineer a solution by changing from one lure to another and/or from one color to another assuming if they just hit on the right combination, all will be well.

Well, the truth is that neither of these things is likely true. Again, you can find fish which simply will not bite. As difficult as it is to leave non-biting fish behind (especially if you have had a struggle finding them in the first place), developing the discipline to do just that will help you improve as an angler.

In closing, this article is not downplaying the efficacy of Garmin’s LiveScope technology, rather, I share with you here observations I have made so you can consider you own experience and behaviors with this technology and perhaps come away a more effective angler by learning from others’ misfortunes.

Last edited by Holding The Line; 03/26/23 11:32 PM.

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14672382 03/27/23 12:22 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I fully understand that post. I have limited use of mine so far but spent the first outing watching fish just turn away or swim away from my different baits presented. Then just yesterday I watched as they attacked in large schools my slab as it dropped on them and 6 or 10 fish would follow the fish up that was caught. I need to learn to switch sides of the boat every so often so my neck doesn't hurt the next day. grin

Good stuff.

Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14672414 03/27/23 12:53 PM
R
RoadRunnerTR21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Good write up Bob.

[Linked Image] Light Blue 19 CPX
Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14672496 03/27/23 01:57 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
So true, we have stayed on moving fish for hours via river channels. Witness them come to the lure and keep going or go back down. Frustrating however, lots of fun ! I grew up with the Lowrance flasher, so this is the bomb !

Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14672504 03/27/23 02:00 PM
C
CarolinaPartimer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
That article is excellence, Bob! Recommended reading (and re-reading) for any fisherman LiveScope or not.

Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14672651 03/27/23 04:01 PM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Great write up and info. Thanks for sharing, Bob. Good stuff!

I had the good fortune of spending enough time on the water and very in agreement with you. A prime example was just yesterday at Texoma. The first 2 hrs i struggled to find them and covered lots of water then I finally found them, shown on the first graph below. And then another hr of zero bite frustration in trying everything and not wanting to leave that much fish. Then buddies texted saying "easy limits" for them 3 miles south of me in the same depth, see secind pic below. Almost the same graph and we caught 10 good fish out of that group in the last hour. Lesson learned. Again for me! And probably will happen again. Lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: SeaPro-Todd] #14672701 03/27/23 04:56 PM
R
reelswift Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by SeaPro-Todd
Great write up and info. Thanks for sharing, Bob. Good stuff!

I had the good fortune of spending enough time on the water and very in agreement with you. A prime example was just yesterday at Texoma. The first 2 hrs i struggled to find them and covered lots of water then I finally found them, shown on the first graph below. And then another hr of zero bite frustration in trying everything and not wanting to leave that much fish. Then buddies texted saying "easy limits" for them 3 miles south of me in the same depth, see secind pic below. Almost the same graph and we caught 10 good fish out of that group in the last hour. Lesson learned. Again for me! And probably will happen again. Lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now thats a school of fish, great pics thank yall for the post

Team LVS34
Captain WNB
Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14672704 03/27/23 05:01 PM
R
reelswift Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by Holding The Line
The following is a cut-and-paste from my weekly newspaper column...

BOB MAINDELLE: What the ads do not tell you about Garmin LiveScope
By Bob Maindelle | For the Herald March 26, 2023

Right from the outset I am going to tell you that this article is not about bashing Garmin’s LiveScope technology.

When it comes to this state-of-the-art sonar technology, I am all in, having invested in the original Garmin LiveScope with LVS32 transducer and blackbox just weeks after the company introduced this technology.

I was so impressed with what I saw that I added a second complete LiveScope setup so I can run parallel systems on the port and starboard sides of my boat, ensuring every client has an excellent view of the underwater world.

Since those initial investments, I added two more control heads for a total of four LiveScope-dedicated sonar units on the boat with a pair on the port side (one master unit and one slave unit connected to the master with a networking cable), and a like pair on the starboard side.

Additionally, I have upgraded one of the LVS32 transducers to an LVS34 transducer. I upgraded the other LVS32 to an XR (extended range) LVS62 transducer.

So, given this column’s title, what exactly am I addressing in this article? I want to identify two traps I see anglers falling into as they see, for the first time, the incredible detail of the underwater world these sonar units offer.

These pitfalls are not shortfalls in the technology, but rather are in the form of angler reactions to what is being witnessed, and the negative impact on fishing results that those reactions bring about.

The first pitfall is staying in an unproductive area too long just because fish are showing on the LiveScope screen.

Fish, like humans, have daily cycles of activity they go through. Fish, like humans, do not (cannot) eat around the clock. There are times when fish aggressively chase bait and gorge themselves, there are times when fish will not chase but will eat if something gets close enough and makes for an easy meal, and there are times when fish will not eat.

Just because you find fish does not mean those fish are going to be catchable. Many times I find fish, present a bait to them, find they are not receptive, and depart only to return sometime later to recheck on their activity level. Sometimes I recheck multiple times. Sometimes these rechecks lead to finding fish in a more aggressive mood than when I first found them, sometimes not.

So the problem with Garmin LiveScope is that it does such a wonderful job of showing fish in a way that the average angler is not accustomed to seeing on down-imaging, side-imaging or colored sonar that anglers become enamored with what they are seeing and simply stay and stay and stay in the same area as long as fish are there, just hoping the fish they have found will turn on.

The better bet is to acknowledge the presence of the fish, acknowledge the fishes’ inactivity, and then continue on in search of a different population of fish at a different point in their feeding cycle which can, therefore, be caught more easily.

Allow half an hour or so to transpire and then go back and check those inactive fish out once again.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: This Garmin LiveScope screenshot shows an aggressive white bass feeding frenzy taking place on Belton Lake on March 23, 2023. The accompanying article addresses what steps an angler should take when fish are not so aggressive.

The second pitfall brought about by the incredible detail Garmin LiveScope renders is related to the first.

I tell clients all the time, “If you don’t deal well with rejection, don’t get Garmin LiveScope.”

Even under the best of circumstances — great weather, ideal lure or bait choice, aggressively feeding fish — still only a fraction of the fish you see on Garmin LiveScope are going to be able to be fooled by whatever you choose to present with a fishing line attached to it.

These are wild creatures accustomed to seeing their forage swim and behave in a certain way. Very rarely can you tether a lure or live bait to a line and hook and get it to imitate forage precisely. When gamefish see something is amiss, they hesitate or outright refuse to chase and eat.

Many anglers who come aboard my boat, who themselves own Garmin LiveScope technology, express how frustrated they get at seeing fish they cannot catch.

Most tell me one of two things: either they take away from this that they are just not a good angler, or that they try unsuccessfully to engineer a solution by changing from one lure to another and/or from one color to another assuming if they just hit on the right combination, all will be well.

Well, the truth is that neither of these things is likely true. Again, you can find fish which simply will not bite. As difficult as it is to leave non-biting fish behind (especially if you have had a struggle finding them in the first place), developing the discipline to do just that will help you improve as an angler.

In closing, this article is not downplaying the efficacy of Garmin’s LiveScope technology, rather, I share with you here observations I have made so you can consider you own experience and behaviors with this technology and perhaps come away a more effective angler by learning from others’ misfortunes.

thumb Witnessed the described fish reaction/behavior while diving its all true.

Team LVS34
Captain WNB
Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14672924 03/27/23 07:47 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Nice post. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14673258 03/27/23 11:58 PM
S
schmavisC Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
-

Last edited by TreeBass; 03/28/23 11:40 PM.
Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14673392 03/28/23 02:09 AM
E
Easeup Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
I dont have livescope but I can relate to the dilemma....and now because a professional has stated this I can walk a little taller knowing I am not a totally lousy fisherman......thank you

Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14673400 03/28/23 02:15 AM
S
Slick Rick ‘06 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Great read and very informative. I feel affirmed in the outings that I had a graph lit up and nothing but me questioning my eyes, settings, lure, presentation, and my life choices. Maybe not that last one. Fishing is such a being in the right place at the right time with the right tackle and the right mindset. The theme your article carries throughout is that mindset and attitude. This article, like so many of your posts, are so helpful to me and enhance my enjoyment on the water.

You ain’t gonna catch any sittin’ on the couch.
Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14674422 03/28/23 11:14 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
If your not running a thumper or a Bluetooth thumper your spinning your wheels. 386 sandbass on Sunday on Grapevine. Now about 80% were under but running solo I say that's pretty good for 4 hours. Fish staying under the boat at every spot. Had to deadstick it and when they came under the boat, slightly raise the two spoons above the fish and keep doing this until they connected. LiveScope is poison on sandbass and crappie.

I have the video, which is like watching krylon paint dry but I have the footage. 25-40ft.

Kudos for running multiple units, it really helps the customers allowing them to see the fish react to the bait.

Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: prosise] #14674601 03/29/23 02:32 AM
Holding The Line Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by prosise
If your not running a thumper or a Bluetooth thumper your spinning your wheels. 386 sandbass on Sunday on Grapevine. Now about 80% were under but running solo I say that's pretty good for 4 hours. Fish staying under the boat at every spot. Had to deadstick it and when they came under the boat, slightly raise the two spoons above the fish and keep doing this until they connected. LiveScope is poison on sandbass and crappie.

I have the video, which is like watching krylon paint dry but I have the footage. 25-40ft.

Kudos for running multiple units, it really helps the customers allowing them to see the fish react to the bait.

Yes, sir, I whole-heartedly agree with the usefulness of some manner of commotion-maker. Personally, I use a thumper of my own making beginning in mid-Dec. when our water drops below 60F and will continue to use it until the water warms back up above 60F (right around this time of year). During the warm season, I use my splasher instead.

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: What the Ads Do Not Tell You About Garmin LiveScope [Re: Holding The Line] #14681191 04/04/23 07:25 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
Originally Posted by Holding The Line

Great writeup Bob! I'm going to have the better half read it, or at least the part above LOL

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide