texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,007
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,485
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,874
Posts13,954,600
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Putting Some "Spring" in Their Step -- 81 Fish, Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs, 08 March #14655647 03/10/23 02:29 AM
Holding The Line Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler

WHO I FISHED WITH: This morning, Wednesday, 08 March, I fished with returning guests Tommy and Sylvia Maedgen of Troy, TX.

The Maedgens are both retired but remain very active in their travels, their interactions with grandkids, their outdoor pursuits, and in serving others through the local church they are a part of. This morning we tried to add a little more “spring” to their step, but, winter reminded us it hasn’t gone too far away, yet.

Like most folks who are fishing with me in the month of March, the Maedgens contacted me back in January to get an available weekday morning.

————————————————————————–

Peak spring dates are just about gone. Here’s an up-to-date calendar so you can check availability: https://holdingthelineguideservice.com/available-dates.php

Next available dates are 22, 28, and 29 March

Here is how the fishing went …

[Linked Image]

PHOTO CAPTION: Sylvia and Tommy Maedgen of Troy, TX, with a few of the 81 fish they took on Lake Belton on a morning impacted by a mild cold front’s passage.

[Linked Image]

PHOTO CAPTION: This pale largemouth has been in deep water for a while now, as seen by its lack of coloration. As spring moves in, fish will move up.

WHERE WE FISHED: Lake Belton

WHEN WE FISHED: Wednesday, 08 March 2023 (AM)

HOW WE FISHED:

This morning’s wrinkle in the weather was fairly accurately forecast. There was some pre-frontal warming with thick, humid, warm air and a nearly calm wind with with some thin fog as we got going this morning. This persisted until around 8:30A, at which time the wind picked up suddenly to NNW12-13, accompanied by a ~6-7F temperature drop, a thickening of the cloud cover, and the disappearance of the fog.

We had already landed exactly 30 fish in under 45 minutes’ time and were searching for more sizeable fish as this front moved in. The fish got very tight-lipped and stayed that way until the wind settled back to a steady NNW9, the clouds thinned, the skies brightened, and the air began to warm once again. During the ~75 minutes it took for this to play out, the fishing remained very tough.

Once these more favorable conditions developed, the bite returned and we were able to put another 50 fish in the boat.

Although we did some testing of the waters with MAL Heavy lures worked horizontally, the fish just aren’t quite there yet (on Belton, although based on incoming MAL Lure orders, other lakes have definitely “turned on”). The last few springs have shown that 60F is the magic number.

Tommy and Sylvia used white, 5/8 oz. Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs (only) the entire morning and used them with a slow-smoking tactic.

We had no helpful bird action this morning.

Here is a link to my tutorial on using the Bladed Hazy Eye Slab with a slow-smoking tactic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPopSLUYoQ

Our 81 fish tally included 3 largemouth bass, 4 short hybrid striped bass, 1 freshwater drum, and 73 white bass, of which 32 were legal (over the 10″ minimum).

TALLY: 81 fish caught and released

Find Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs with Stinger Hook here: https://whitebasstools.com/

OBSERVATIONS: We encountered a much higher ratio of short fish in our catch today than during any other trip in the recent past.

WEATHER DATA:

Start Time: 7:40A

End Time: 12:20P

Air Temp. @ Trip’s Start: 68F, falling to 62F as the cold front came in, then rising back to 64F by trip’s end.

Elevation: 13.96 feet low, 24 CFS flow, .00′ fall over the last 24 hrs.

Water Surface Temp: 58.8F on the surface

Wind Speed & Direction: Calm at trip’s start, then NNW12-13 as the front came in, then scaling back to NNW8-9 thereafter

Sky Condition: Light fog at trip’s start, then clearing to 100% moderate grey cloud cover as the front came in, then thinning to 100% thin grey cloud cover thereafter

Moon Phase: Waning gibbous moon at 99% illumination.

GT = 25

Wx SNAPSHOT:

[Linked Image]

AREAS FISHED WITH SUCCESS:

Area B0196G – 30 fish
Area vic 717 – 4 fish

Area BG0026 – 4 fish

Area B0171G – 7 fish

Area B0060G/B0050G – 26 fish

Area vic B0031G – 10 fish

Bob Maindelle

Full-time, Professional Fishing Guide and Owner of Holding the Line Guide Service

Belton Lake Fishing Guide, Stillhouse Hollow Fishing Guide

254.368.7411 (call or text)

E-mail: Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/bobmaindelle

Twitter: www.twitter.com/bobmaindelle

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: Putting Some "Spring" in Their Step -- 81 Fish, Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs, 08 March [Re: Holding The Line] #14658214 03/12/23 11:18 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Nice post and fish. Good job as always. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide