Print Thread
Best results for surf fishing ? #14651750 03/06/23 06:07 PM
C
Captain Break-Off Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Will you get better results surf fishing with your bait on the bottom carolina rig style or weight on the bottom and bait above ?? All of this is new to me and just trying to learn as much as I can before I head to the beach in a couple of weaks. TIA for any advice that you may have. Tight lines everyone.

Re: Best results for surf fishing ? [Re: Captain Break-Off] #14651783 03/06/23 06:39 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
For me it depends on what I am fishing for and how far out I am fishing. For shark fishing, where I am throwing big bait as far as I can, I like the weight on the bottom. If I am fishing for redfish, flounder, trout, ladyfish, or smaller species, I use a Carolina rig and let the bait set or slowly real it along the bottom. If it is windy with heavy waves you may need to go with a heavier bottom weight for all species. If there are small blacktip and bonnethead around then I add steel leader even for the smaller species.

Re: Best results for surf fishing ? [Re: Osbornfishing] #14651799 03/06/23 06:59 PM
C
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
C
I just want to catch some fish of any kind, it really doesn't matter what. Not sure if I will be wading, that will depend on the water temp from March 22 -26 on the Bolivar peninsula. I may have to hit the jetty if nothing else. I do plan on bringing my 10' spinning surf rod and a couple of my smaller spinning rigs as well, especially if I am restricted to the jetty. Not sure how far to go out on the jetty but there is a boat cut at about the 1 3/4 mile mark where it seems like a lot of boats go. I did read that I should fish on the gulf side in a rising tide and on the bay side during a outgoing tide. Just planning to have some fun either way.

Re: Best results for surf fishing ? [Re: Captain Break-Off] #14659229 03/13/23 09:03 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
I think it depends on HOW you are fishing. If you want to set your rods in a holder and drink beers waiting on a fish, then a pyramid weight on the bottom is better (or a spider if currents are strong). If you are holding the rod in your hand, then I prefer the c-rig style to keep the bait moving slowly.

Re: Best results for surf fishing ? [Re: Captain Break-Off] #14659555 03/14/23 03:50 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by Captain Break-Off
I just want to catch some fish of any kind, it really doesn't matter what. Not sure if I will be wading, that will depend on the water temp from March 22 -26 on the Bolivar peninsula. I may have to hit the jetty if nothing else. I do plan on bringing my 10' spinning surf rod and a couple of my smaller spinning rigs as well, especially if I am restricted to the jetty. Not sure how far to go out on the jetty but there is a boat cut at about the 1 3/4 mile mark where it seems like a lot of boats go. I did read that I should fish on the gulf side in a rising tide and on the bay side during an outgoing tide. Just planning to have some fun either way.

My favorite in the surf is Cotton Cordell casting spoon will definitely get you bit. Steel leader or thick mono is a must. Earlier the better

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Best results for surf fishing ? [Re: Ledeez] #14663136 03/17/23 02:55 PM
C
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted by Ledeez
Originally Posted by Captain Break-Off
I just want to catch some fish of any kind, it really doesn't matter what. Not sure if I will be wading, that will depend on the water temp from March 22 -26 on the Bolivar peninsula. I may have to hit the jetty if nothing else. I do plan on bringing my 10' spinning surf rod and a couple of my smaller spinning rigs as well, especially if I am restricted to the jetty. Not sure how far to go out on the jetty but there is a boat cut at about the 1 3/4 mile mark where it seems like a lot of boats go. I did read that I should fish on the gulf side in a rising tide and on the bay side during an outgoing tide. Just planning to have some fun either way.

My favorite in the surf is Cotton Cordell casting spoon will definitely get you bit. Steel leader or thick mono is a must. Earlier the better

Best color of spoon ?? I will probably use rod holders on the beach, the wind is supposed to be pretty high and the surf will be rough, not to mention that the water will be pretty cold. If it is to bad on the surf, I will hit the north jetty on the Bolivar Peninsula. If that happens, should I use live, dead or cut bait or all of the above ?? New to this game so just trying to figure it all out. Thanks for your help in advance.

Re: Best results for surf fishing ? [Re: Captain Break-Off] #14665384 03/20/23 04:12 AM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
My preference on bait is live. A finger sized mullet or croaker will catch just about anything, as will shrimp. A cracked crab is also great bait for red or black drum, and also sharks. If you are using a cast net, take it to the marshy areas on the side of the road. You'll have better luck getting bait there than in the surf.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide