Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: Flippin-Out] #14617710 02/02/23 03:50 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
We're not confused. Yes, the HDS 7 and Elite FS have only one Ethernet port. HOWEVER, he's looking at ditching the HDS 7 and adding a 12 or 16 inch Lowrance product in its place. With the 2 ports available on 12"/16" units, he can connect one port to the Elite FS and the other to Live Target.

Yep. That or a HDS9.

I only know because I was in that situation myself. I had 2 Carbon 7’s. I added a 9 and now I’m adding a 12. Those little yellow jacks on the back have frustrated me with how I wanted to use the AT. Haha.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #14754292 06/19/23 06:58 PM
diggerwolf Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I recently had a Lowrance HDS LIVE 9 and Lowrance HDS LIVE 7 installed on my boat.

In all honesty, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Can someone recommend an electronics guide specifically for Lowrance? Preferably on Texoma.

Thanks!

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" ― Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: diggerwolf] #14754361 06/19/23 07:53 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
As an alternative, or at least a beginning point, I suggest you look at the Lowrance YouTube channel. They have a library of how-to videos available that even have an "on the water" segment to show the various features and settings. There are videos specific to the Live units, so they will help you understand where to find all of the settings discussed. After watching some videos, read through the manual - multiple times. I'm a tech guy myself, but even I learn more by watching/reading multiple times.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #14770075 07/06/23 07:23 AM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Fish reveal update....website down? Page doesn't load for HDS GEN3, CARBON OR ELITE TI hammer

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #14824510 08/27/23 06:26 PM
S
shanetx Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I bought a used boat and it has some transducers that are Lowrance. Struggling to find a lower end/cheaper side sonar unit that can connect to these but most seem to use a 2 pin power cable

[Linked Image]

thoughts?

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: shanetx] #14824764 08/27/23 11:16 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
What does a 2 pin power cable have to do with transducers? If you get a unit compatible with an installed transducer, said unit (new) always comes WITH a power cable. You would simply install that unit's power cable.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: Flippin-Out] #14825046 08/28/23 12:48 PM
S
shanetx Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Novice here so my bad Im surely doing something wrong. Through research and other input I was advised that one of these cables is for power and one goes to the transducer. These cables are already wired and ran under the floor decking and want to reuse them cuase im on a budget after buying the boat itself and as a rookie i don't want to start ripping up floor decking and rewiring my new (well new to me be used) boat.

The boat has 2 Lowrance units already and both have a 2 pin power cable, not this version/model of power cable.

I've been to bass pro and looked at some units and they also ahve the 2 pin power cable.

Im just hoping for some input on the best bang for my bucket here. What is the budget friendly unit that uses these style of cables so i dont have to re-wire anything. the hope is to by a used headunit somewhere.

What is a simple power cable install for you would be me destroying my new boat, pissing off wife and not being able to fish for 2 months while i try to pay someone to fix it, im not handy with boats...yet

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #14825327 08/28/23 05:10 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
As a novice you might be (actually likely) mistaken about "ripping up floor decking." Many owners readily change electronics on their boats (when they have the $ for it) - it's not a destructive process. At the helm (steering wheel location) the power cable connection would be under the dash. At the bow, it's made behind a panel held on with a few screws, typically. Someone who offers boat electronics services would charge a power cable install fee low enough to not be a deciding factor in which particular Lowrance unit to buy. A transducer costs more, and is more difficult to install (so more $), therefore matching the transducer would be desirable from a financial perspective. If there are silver tags attached to those cables, post photos of what is on them. That will be the part # info that can identify the cables to match to units.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #14825334 08/28/23 05:19 PM
S
shanetx Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I wish the silver tags still existed. These are on the front trolling motor and all wires go under the front deck by the pedal and pop out at the batteries in the back. While one day i want to really figure out the wiring and re-do stuff to make the boat my own, right now i have so little time between work and kids i get about 2 hours to fish a week if im lucky and would rather be on the water then rewiring stuff. Just was looking for an easy out to plug in extra little sonar unit. Shame previous owner didnt sell it with boat.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #14825341 08/28/23 05:30 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Can you reach owner? Ask them what unit, then you can search for a unit that is cable-compatible with that unit model #. For instance, if it is one of the family of HDS units, then all HDS units are compatible, but pricepoint units won't be.

BTW, a power cable replacement isn't all the way to the battery. The cable that comes with units is about 4 feet long. Whatever is in the boat, I assure you it's spliced within 4 feet of the cable end. Complete removal isn't necessary to change a power cable. The transducers are a different story - all one piece cable that can't be cut.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 08/28/23 05:32 PM.
Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #14825393 08/28/23 06:51 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
here are some pics of my Lowrance cables: some of the power cables have 2 cables going to the plug, one is for power and the other is NMEA 0183 that you won't use (different from NMEA 2000}
blue power cable (HDS up to Gen 3, not sure after that, and ELITE TI)
[Linked Image]
tag on blue power cable
[Linked Image]
red power cable (interchangeable with the blue power cable)
[Linked Image]
transducer cable from built in trolling motor ducer, also same as several other Lowrance ducers
[Linked Image]
transducer cable for Elite TI
[Linked Image]

Last edited by bronco71; 08/28/23 06:51 PM.

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #14825475 08/28/23 09:30 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Shane, you asked about a “side sonar” graph that would work with those. A Lowrance HDS: gen1, gen2, gen3 & Carbon will fit both of those cables. BUT, that is NOT a side imaging transducer, you would need a LSS transducer (and possibly module) to get side imaging.

As mentioned, don’t worry about the pin number, that’s for something that you’ll never use.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: grout-scout] #14825559 08/28/23 11:27 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I must be getting rusty - totally overlooked that the presented connector was for a 2D transducer! As such, he can't have side-scan by simply bolting a new head unit on. He would need to add at least a transducer as you say, but views installing that (cables/transducers) to be beyond what he is willing to do.

Shane is a novice, and we have to remember that with the info he provides. He says "These are on the front trolling motor and all wires go under the front deck by the pedal and pop out at the batteries in the back." Parts of that statement make sense, but I'm still left unsure.

Are the two connectors at the bow of the boat? ....but maybe you don't "really" know where they go? (I wouldn't, without seeing your boat, and you may be assuming things. What trolling motor do you have? Is there a transducer mounted on it? Show us a photo of the motor (where the prop is). The transducer cable you have could connect to a transducer in the stern area, or it might connect to a transducer on or inside the trolling motor nosecone. A photo will help answer that question.

If you're wanting to use side-scan, you may not realize as a novice that at the bow is not really where most people use that. You'd want side-scan on a unit mounted at the driver console so you could look for structure as you idle around.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #14825740 08/29/23 02:25 AM
S
shanetx Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks for taking the time guys.

I made a pretty [censored] typo "find a lower end/on the cheaper side sonar unit"

Not side imaging but just 2d sonar like...

[Linked Image]

or whatever the best the transducers can do at a decent price point for a clear rookie just starting out - im not trying to live scope or anything.

The boat (which is https://www.trackerboats.com/bass/previous/2019-pro-team-175-txw-tournament-edition.html)

Came with a lowrance unit on the bow already (stock) with a transducer on the trolling motor stock and previous owner added a 2nd one would be nice to hook something up to.

and flippin-out is correct i do not really know where they go. I get now that they could be spliced or even just run to the fuse box under the dash. I should not assume when im trying to learn (im in IT/software and hate when people assume they know how to fix my code so maybe i can relate to your frustration here)

What i do know is there is an after market transducer mounted on the trolling motor and these two unused cables I pictured. I can see where the previous headunit was mounted on the bow (4 screws and a rectangle) the base looks alot like the unit i pictured but that unit has the 2 pin power cable.

I can not fully trace the cables as they go under the bow deck via a stock cable port for the trolling motor and come out a port built into the trolling motor pedal, very nicely and neatly wired.

It is a min kota trolling motor (the link i provided above is the actual boat/model/year and shows the trolling motor, and two stock units)

I hope this information helps and sorry again - thanks for helping me learn this new hobby. Lets not focus on my [censored] none sense and maybe i just ask a question.

As a guy just starting to learn how to bass fish and is on a budget, what do you recommend i get that connects to the cables i pictures that is plug and play, will help me see some bass and not squint at my current split screen.

Last edited by shanetx; 08/29/23 02:36 AM.
Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: shanetx] #14825749 08/29/23 02:34 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Post a photo of the Minn Kota motor housing. I am baffled by the "two transducers" statement when you only have one known transducer connector for the back of a Lowrance unit. Some MK motors have an optional transducer built it, but it will not do downscan, so many don't use it - instead they add a Lowrance 2D/downscan transducer to the motor housing with a pipe clamp. Photos will help us a lot.

Page 116 of 118 1 2 114 115 116 117 118
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide