Page 1 of 2 1 2
This time of year... #14606191 01/23/23 04:28 PM
D
Dogfish_Jones Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
... I am going through all my tackle and going over what I will keep of give away. I also take stock in those lures that I did catch fish on and make sure the hooks are sharp and they are ready to be thrown. All my reels get the line stripped off and put new line on and the eyelets on my rods are cleaned.
I go over my graphs and look at the transducers to see if they are in the right position and still attached strongly to the boat.
Of course the engine has the oil changed, new oil filter, new gas filter, lower unit has new grease put in it and every other year new spark plugs. The prop is taken off and looked at to see if any line has wrapped around it.
I clean out my live wells and make sure they are clean and free of any cleaning residue. All my batteries are re-greased around the post and reattached and make sure they are good and tight.
I make sure my Lithium booster is fully charged if needed for myself of friends who batteries have died.
I check my canisters on all my life fest and make sure they are still in the green (good). I check my fire extinguisher and make sure it is good.
Check all my bolts on my trailer, the wiring and lights are working. I make sure the brake pads are still good , if not I change them out. The spare tire in inflated to the right pressure along with the 4 tires on the trailer.
I check my hitch on the truck to make sure it has no play in it and the ball is still attached tight.
I grease all my grease fitting on the engine, trailer.
Last thing I do is wait until we have a nice day in the upper 70's or higher and I will wash it, shampoo the carpet and wax it for the upcoming year.
I will repair any scratches or nicks that have been added from last year.
Then she will look showroom ready for hopefully another great year of fishing.
All this may take a few weeks but I enjoy doing it as I get ready to hit the lake in February. All I have left is to re-spool my reels and wash/wax and shampoo the boat carpet.

What kind of system to any of have or do before the pre-spawn hits? I have about 3 or 4 weeks and it should be in full swing.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: This time of year... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14606389 01/23/23 07:28 PM
G
Grasshopperglock Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
I'm picturing you hanging one of those pine tree air fresheners somewhere on the boat. Doesn't matter if it works or not. It's there.

Folks are getting restless. Had a guy stop in front of the house, A few minutes ago. Seeing me practicing different casts. He's been going everyday but to the federal lake behind the Temple VA. He spoke of the fish even hitting on spinners. Not big but aggressive.

I've sorted all my lures. Packed up the soft baits. All that's left is a re-spool on a couple poles.

I'm with you. February needs to show up.

Last edited by Grasshopperglock; 01/23/23 07:30 PM.
Re: This time of year... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14606399 01/23/23 07:38 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
All that stuff gets done throughout the year.
There is no down time, boat is on the water 12 months a year.

Re: This time of year... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14606401 01/23/23 07:39 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Man, I got tired just reading all that. I am the worst at staying on top of all that stuff.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: This time of year... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14606409 01/23/23 07:45 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones
... I am going through all my tackle and going over what I will keep of give away. I also take stock in those lures that I did catch fish on and make sure the hooks are sharp and they are ready to be thrown. All my reels get the line stripped off and put new line on and the eyelets on my rods are cleaned.
I go over my graphs and look at the transducers to see if they are in the right position and still attached strongly to the boat.
Of course the engine has the oil changed, new oil filter, new gas filter, lower unit has new grease put in it and every other year new spark plugs. The prop is taken off and looked at to see if any line has wrapped around it.
I clean out my live wells and make sure they are clean and free of any cleaning residue. All my batteries are re-greased around the post and reattached and make sure they are good and tight.
I make sure my Lithium booster is fully charged if needed for myself of friends who batteries have died.
I check my canisters on all my life fest and make sure they are still in the green (good). I check my fire extinguisher and make sure it is good.
Check all my bolts on my trailer, the wiring and lights are working. I make sure the brake pads are still good , if not I change them out. The spare tire in inflated to the right pressure along with the 4 tires on the trailer.
I check my hitch on the truck to make sure it has no play in it and the ball is still attached tight.
I grease all my grease fitting on the engine, trailer.
Last thing I do is wait until we have a nice day in the upper 70's or higher and I will wash it, shampoo the carpet and wax it for the upcoming year.
I will repair any scratches or nicks that have been added from last year.
Then she will look showroom ready for hopefully another great year of fishing.
All this may take a few weeks but I enjoy doing it as I get ready to hit the lake in February. All I have left is to re-spool my reels and wash/wax and shampoo the boat carpet.

What kind of system to any of have or do before the pre-spawn hits? I have about 3 or 4 weeks and it should be in full swing.

I go fishing every weekend. When something needs attention, I give it. Other than that, I’m on the water. No routine.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: This time of year... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14606422 01/23/23 07:54 PM
fivebites Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Some of us are a little more anal about stuff. Generally, I'm not. But I did this year. Not sure why. Cleaned, waxed, and interior full cleaning on all 4 toys (3 cars and a boat) in two days. I do most of everything on your list during the year, but rarely all at once. But, that's a GOOD list Dogfish. I don't fish nearly as much as I used and since I'm retired (you'd think I'd fish more) I do have more time to do more maintainence stuff. Getting it all out of the way early in the year is not too shabby of an idea!

Last edited by fivebites; 01/23/23 07:54 PM.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: This time of year... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14606426 01/23/23 07:58 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
While sick the week after Christmas I cleaned and lubed all my reels and went through tackle, because I couldn’t fish. Everything else is done throughout the year. Typically on the water 2 days a week minimum in the winter months, so the boat and all visual parts are inspected weekly. I usually do gear lube and water pump in October every year.

Re: This time of year... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14606694 01/24/23 12:35 AM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
I made about a 60 yard cast with a trap today and the line broke, I think it's still going bang

#MFGA
Re: This time of year... [Re: Douglas J] #14606701 01/24/23 12:43 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Douglas J
I made about a 60 yard cast with a trap today and the line broke, I think it's still going bang

roflmao

Did you know a weightless senko can go about 200 yards when it flies off the hook?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: This time of year... [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14606722 01/24/23 01:03 AM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

roflmao

Did you know a weightless senko can go about 200 yards when it flies off the hook?

I throw the 7 inch ones in the summer occasionally and they will go a long way when they come unhooked being launched with a 7'6" rod

#MFGA
Re: This time of year... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14606744 01/24/23 01:27 AM
D
Dan21XRS Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Dang that's a lot... I'm fishing year round and never have time to do that... Dan fish

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: This time of year... [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14606795 01/24/23 02:17 AM
O
outfishdya Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
O
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

roflmao

The birds nest can also be 200 yards

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: This time of year... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14606869 01/24/23 03:39 AM
D
Dogfish_Jones Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
I guess for me it is enjoyable to do all this. I still have some fun memories every time I go to culling out my lures.
I fished every month but January it seems. Now I do not get on the water every weekend during the winter but I try to go twice maybe three times during December at least. November is hit and Miss, if I have been in some tournaments trails they usually have their year end tournament in November. This year I only had two tournaments to fish in for November.
I spent the day after Christmas and New Years Eve and Jan 2nd on the water so I have fished 1 day this month and year.
I do a lot of my routine maintenance year round but to do all of them in a two or three week span usually comes in January.
Could be “cabin fever” syndrome but knowing pre-spawn is just a few weeks away, I want to hit the water running and gunning.

P.S. with me having my prostate surgery on the 17th, the doctor told me no wave action for 4 weeks. That has made me decide to do other projects getting ready for 2023. The good thing this coming year I am not getting into any clubs or tournament trails. I may fish a benefit tournament here or there but not even marking them down in my calendar. This year I am just going fishing and enjoying the sunrises and sunsets.

Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 01/24/23 03:42 AM.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Re: This time of year... [Re: Txduckhunter] #14607330 01/24/23 05:09 PM
B
Basscat8263 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
All that stuff gets done throughout the year.
There is no down time, boat is on the water 12 months a year.

+1

Tony

Re: This time of year... [Re: Basscat8263] #14607354 01/24/23 05:20 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I have been going through some of my stuff, had several rods repaired, spooling new line, rearranging tackle, trying to get rid of a lot of stuff that just takes up room. My boat has been put up since Oct, taking it out this coming weekend which is about a month early for me, I like when seasons change, hunting to fishing, fishing to hunting.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide