Page 1 of 2 1 2
FYI Tradinghouse reservoir #14599392 01/17/23 02:11 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
there are dump truck loads of sand in front of both boat ramps. dont know if they blocked the ramps because the lake is low or they are doing some projects but theres no place to launch. will try to find out why they blocked the ramps.. from my understanding the city of Waco took over the lake from TP&L recently so not sure who to contact.
Have seen ramps blocked on several lakes at different parks. not sure who decides when water level is too low to launch. many people have tilt trailers and smaller boats that can be safely launched or you could put a little flatboat or canoe in at the ramp instead of driving onto the field area to launch possibly sticking your truck.
blocking the ramps with truckloads of sand could actually cost someone thier life, because if someone is in a small boat and gets in a bad situation, like heart attack , capsize, ect.. nobody can launch a boat to come help them..
and last but not least its [censored] that I couldnt fish the lake today.. soap

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: leanin post] #14606325 01/23/23 06:22 PM
D
daddyflea Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Are you sure they actually dumped the sand?

Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: leanin post] #14606441 01/23/23 08:08 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Doesn't make any sense, it is obvious by looking if the water is too low to launch, no need for the sand.

Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: rickt300] #14607296 01/24/23 04:35 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by rickt300
Doesn't make any sense, it is obvious by looking if the water is too low to launch, no need for the sand.

well "the water is too low to launch" is a relative term..
maybe there is a big drop off at the end of the ramp, and someones truck floated off? maybe theres some kind of pipes in the lake they are afraid someone will hit that were part of the power plants infastructure?
theres no signs at the ramps or park entrance saying it is closed or why.
City of Waco took over this lake from TP&L not too long ago, some nice improvements have been made and they are trying to make the lake more attractive to visitors, as it is a very underutilized lake and park.
come springtime, people will launch small boats wherever they can and there will be tire ruts all along the banklines from 4X4 vehicles if the water table doesnt rise by then.
I have never seen boat ramps blocked in this manner in 30 years of fishing texas lakes.
another consideration.,,. lets say we get alot of rain and the water rises quickly . how are they going to deal with a big wet pile of sandy muck once its covered with water? the sand is near the waters edge.. abt 2 dumptruck loads on each ramp.. are they going to just push as much as they can into the water, making a big hump where your boat is supposed to be floating?
A simple bellhop chain with a sign saying "ramp closed" would have sufficed.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: daddyflea] #14607304 01/24/23 04:41 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by daddyflea
Are you sure they actually dumped the sand?

someone had to. its clean , fine sand, not like it was dug out of the lake
each pile is uniform and abt 8 feet high by 8 feet wide. .
with 2 piles side by side on each ramp.

Last edited by leanin post; 01/24/23 04:42 PM.

Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: leanin post] #14608452 01/25/23 05:02 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
They did this same thing a few years back.

[Linked Image]

Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: leanin post] #14615261 01/31/23 05:00 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
did some research and the best that I can tell is TP&L still controls the lake,, city of waco says they dont manage it , corps of engineers says they dont manage it. Ft.Worth corps of engineers says they never heard of it., (yet theres a corps of engineers sign in the parking lot).. ha they likely dug the lake out many years ago as a project and left thier sign?
its confusing because a couple years back I read that city of waco took over the lake, and built the upper parking area and the restrooms.
the phone for TP&L is perpetually busy . so cant get any info out of them.
There used to be a guy from mclennan county that would go out there, and check on things, but he retired.

Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: leanin post] #14615429 01/31/23 06:11 PM
S
Shank Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
The south side of the Tradinghouse is a McLennan County park. Seems too far out for Waco to have any control. I assume that the county is responsible for the boat ramps within the park as well. If someone, lives in the area, you might ask your County Commissioner. He can probably give more facts.

Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: leanin post] #14615693 01/31/23 09:31 PM
machinist Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
Actually there has been no TP&L since the late 80’s early 90’s. TP&L, DP&L and Texas Electric Company all combined to make TXU. It was sold and renamed Luminant. That went bankrupt and when they came out of bankruptcy the company is now named Vistra Energy. So you might not be calling the right company/pho. #

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: leanin post] #14616049 02/01/23 04:00 AM
P
Phoenix 920 Pro xp Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
i work for the county. city of waco has never owned or managed any part of the lake same with cor of engineers.
luminant still owns the water and manages the lake level. luminant gave the county all the land on the south side of the lake (the parks). the county got grants a few years back to redo the ramps, parks and restrooms...the sand was placed in front of the ramps because the water got too low and people were getting stuck on the end of the ramps

Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: Phoenix 920 Pro xp] #14616545 02/01/23 04:43 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Phoenix 920 Pro xp
i work for the county. city of waco has never owned or managed any part of the lake same with cor of engineers.
luminant still owns the water and manages the lake level. luminant gave the county all the land on the south side of the lake (the parks). the county got grants a few years back to redo the ramps, parks and restrooms...the sand was placed in front of the ramps because the water got too low and people were getting stuck on the end of the ramps

thats a unique arrangement,, smart of luminant,. they dont have to take care of the land anymore, but still control the lake. Luminant is likely not paying tax on the place anymore, because you cannot legally own a body of water, there fore you cant be taxed on it.. It would cost a fortune to remove all of the infastructure they built, so they are just sitting on it for now..
Its a fun little hole to fish and hopefully it stays open for many years to come.
one of the few lakes in central texas that have primarily black crappie and alot of huge whitebass in it.
also a good option some years when waco is trashed or too low.

Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: leanin post] #14616824 02/01/23 08:11 PM
M
marcus254 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
i live on battle lake road i fish traiding house weekly the ramps have been blocked with dirt piles for a while, there is no work going on other than they been putting up small covered camp sites off willbanks road down the lake side. the dirt is to stop people from using ramps. people still try to launch with no ramps, they make big ruts and cause problems when people keep doing it ang get stuck. the piles have been there since mid summer and are still there now. the powerplant still has employees at it but i think thats just the purposes of keeping people out they still lots of equipment and im sure some value in assets there.

Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: marcus254] #14617637 02/02/23 03:09 PM
R
RussellWayne Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by marcus254
i live on battle lake road i fish traiding house weekly the ramps have been blocked with dirt piles for a while, there is no work going on other than they been putting up small covered camp sites off willbanks road down the lake side. the dirt is to stop people from using ramps. people still try to launch with no ramps, they make big ruts and cause problems when people keep doing it ang get stuck. the piles have been there since mid summer and are still there now. the powerplant still has employees at it but i think thats just the purposes of keeping people out they still lots of equipment and im sure some value in assets there.

Where ae you putting in at?

Life journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved state.
But rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy carp what a ride!"
Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: marcus254] #14617717 02/02/23 03:54 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L

Is the tailrace area behind the dam accessible by road or foot and have you ever fished back there?

Re: FYI Tradinghouse reservoir [Re: RussellWayne] #14619554 02/03/23 09:19 PM
M
marcus254 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by RussellWayne

Where ae you putting in at?

no ramps are usable i been using my 14' flat bottom i can drag off the trailor to the water and slap on my 9.9hp only way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide