Print Thread
What's your favorite on the water running light? #14603968 01/21/23 07:09 PM
C
Captain Cook Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
I like to fish at night occasionally and I have bought 4 different light setups for my pontoon to help illuminate what's out in front of me and so far I have been disappointed. So far all the ones I have tried have been LED lights and they just don't work well on the water but they do work great on my zero turn. Looking for something that will light up a decent distance out in front of the boat. I figured I would stop relying on the online reviews and ask the real fishermen from TFF.

I have posted this in the crappie, whites - hybrid - striper, and catfish sections. Just and FYI

Captain Cook
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: What's your favorite on the water running light? [Re: Captain Cook] #14604308 01/22/23 02:06 AM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I have been fishing at nite for years and the problem with trying to drive on the water at nite, the water absorbs the light itself. The single best thing I have seen was some airplane landing lights, they will require some rigging to make work but they do throw enough light with two pointed off the bow, in order to drive on the water. Now the led bulbs work great to flash the water in and around close to the boat, as well as the deck of your boat. They don't use all the amps required to drive the lake with.

They do get hot, like any type of spot light you would use for something like this. I have rigged two different customers boats with these and both were setup different, but you could see well enough with them to drive the lake at night. The bulbs on these run a higher voltage than our 12 volts on our boats, but they still worked.

The more simple and easiest thing I have used is these remote mounting spotlights that you operate them wirelessly, they do ok and you drive the direction of the light where you want to look. Now the important thing here I have seen you mount the lights out on the bow and as low as possible.

The absolute best setup was the second boat I rigged with the airplane landing lights, I cut and mounted those just under the rubrail in the bow, one on each side of the keel. You just need to do so and make accommodations for the heat so as not to burn anything. These lights you drive the lake with, require serious amps to run, something ob engines are limited at doing for any length of time. Not sure if you can use any of these, but that worked well enough to drive the lake with, that I have seen to date. The leds just not there yet for this, least that I have tried. Work great on mowers and tractors though lol.

Re: What's your favorite on the water running light? [Re: Captain Cook] #14604676 01/22/23 02:58 PM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Before installing lights on your boat you might want to take a look at Texas Parks and Wildlife reg on lights and lighting on boats.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide