Print Thread
Young dominating with Livescope #14592696 01/10/23 04:41 PM
S
Snowman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I thought it was interesting to hear Kevin Rogers say that neither he or Capps and Coleman will ever win another tournament because the crop of young guys are a step ahead in their mastery of Livescope.
He wasn’t bashing in any way but just pointed out, how Hayden Jeffries wins almost every tournament he enters.

Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: Snowman] #14592869 01/10/23 07:51 PM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Young people hand/eye coordination is much better than ours. Watching how fast they text is mouth dropping to me. Young folks know electronics like the back of their hand.

Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: Snowman] #14592918 01/10/23 09:08 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
I agree, they are not thinking about seasonal patterns, baitfish location, bottom topography, bird presence, or make use of instinctual decision making based on gut feeling. ( the subconscious mind forwarding information to the conscious mind to make decisions)..
it is just a body of water, that have fish in it, and they locate them and catch them like they are sitting in the living room playing a video game.
The younger generation almost instantly memorizes the menu and options in the sonar settings after using it only once or twice. you would think they have been using it for years.
heres an example.. on my garmin 1222 to switch between Gain,. forward range, and depth. you can just push the control button on the top, and turn the knob to make adjustments..
my son does not push the button to switch between Gain, forward range and bottom depth, he goes into the main menu and selects.. after watching him do this many times, I asked, why ont you just push the round button to switch between the functions., so finally he told me, if you push the button, it will switch between the 3 different adjustment option but it will onyy allow you to make bulk setting adjustments like 10, 20, 30, 40.. if you select thru the main menu, it will let u make fine adjustments like 20, 21,22,23, percent.. now how the heck he knew this without reading any manuals or spending much time with the unit just baffles me.
we have both spent around the same amount of time with the unit and he knows it alot better than I do.
anyone over 50 years old, the digital world is not natural to us. we spent most of our lives in a simple analog world. the younger generation is almost in a hybrid existence with todays digital technology.

Last edited by leanin post; 01/10/23 09:10 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: Snowman] #14592936 01/10/23 09:30 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Love the livescope, maybe though it shouldn't be used in tournaments?

Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: Snowman] #14592991 01/10/23 10:35 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
This is a big reason why MLF changed their format. The young guys were dominating with FFS and the older guys simply cannot compete. I don't understand that whole deal honestly. Coordination is one thing, but you can learn anything if you are willing to put the time in and focus on it.

Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: rickt300] #14592995 01/10/23 10:37 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted by rickt300
Love the livescope, maybe though it shouldn't be used in tournaments?

Might as well take away spot lock trolling motors, 2d, down imaging, side imaging, electronic paddles to slow you down, power poles, and so on.

Where do you stop if you eliminate livescope from the tourney scene?

Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: Snowman] #14593034 01/10/23 11:23 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Maybe an old guy crappie tournament trail will start up...Sign me up scotty. cheers

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #14593269 01/11/23 03:04 AM
S
SimilarWeather Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

Maybe an old guy crappie tournament trail will start up...Sign me up scotty. cheers

I've long had this idea for a multi-day tournament with varying rules each day to find the REAL best fisherman.
If I ever win the powerball yall get ready for some crazy tournaments with big payouts!

Each leg of the tournament points are given out based on position for that leg, with the overall winner after all days.

* Day-1: 5hp motor jon boat + paddle + single pole (no electronics, tournament-supplied jon boats)

* Day-2: Everything allowed (like tournaments today)

* Night-2: Dusk-to-Midnight, Everything allowed except sonar limited to 2D/Chirp only, use of lights allowed

* Day-3: 5hp motor jon boat + low-tech trolling motor + single pole + Any Sonar

Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: leanin post] #14593391 01/11/23 11:21 AM
R
Ron Douthit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by leanin post
I agree, they are not thinking about seasonal patterns, baitfish location, bottom topography, bird presence, or make use of instinctual decision making based on gut feeling. ( the subconscious mind forwarding information to the conscious mind to make decisions)..
it is just a body of water, that have fish in it, and they locate them and catch them like they are sitting in the living room playing a video game.

I don't think you can be successful with livescope without still understanding seasonal patterns, baitfish location, bottom topography etc.... You can't just launch your boat in a 30,000 sq foot lake and just start livescoping at random locations and beat everyone else in the field just because you know how to use the buttons to get a crystal clear image.

Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: Ron Douthit] #14593544 01/11/23 02:33 PM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by Ron Douthit

I don't think you can be successful with livescope without still understanding seasonal patterns, baitfish location, bottom topography etc.... You can't just launch your boat in a 30,000 sq foot lake and just start livescoping at random locations and beat everyone else in the field just because you know how to use the buttons to get a crystal clear image.

This!! Hayden, Matthew, JJ and several others fish all the time!! They think like a fish. They also cover ALOT of water! Hayden can cover 3x as much water as Clay and I can running 2 livescopes at the same time. He’s a well oiled machine. A lot of the young guys are. It’s raising the bar for crappie fishing for sure and I like that! thumb

Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: Ron Douthit] #14593628 01/11/23 03:43 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by leanin post

Ron from what im learning about the young top guns, covering as much water as possible , as quickly as possible is the name of the game. trolling motor on max, scanning 60 feet out and dipping bait in front of crappie with a 16 to 18 ft rod. If a desirable fish is observed, they will chase them around the lake for up to an hour sometimes.
I watched an interview with ronnie capps, and he said,, "well I guess we will have to relearn how to crappie fish again". (refering to his team).
the bottom line is,,, crappie are where you find them, and they can be almost anywhere at anytime.
most folks who prefish for tournaments find that the fish they found prefishing, are no longer where they found them,. and have moved, so the search starts all over again. on tournament day
in retrospect I think that having preconceived notions as to where we believe fish should be, due to topography, enviormental conditions, historical successes ,ect, can sometimes turn out to work against us.
those of us who have done things the same way for 20, 30, 50 years are set in our ways to a point.,
not so for the newcomers.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: Slewfoot] #14593656 01/11/23 04:04 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Slewfoot

This!! Hayden, Matthew, JJ and several others fish all the time!! They think like a fish. They also cover ALOT of water! Hayden can cover 3x as much water as Clay and I can running 2 livescopes at the same time. He’s a well

oiled machine. A lot of the young guys are. It’s raising the bar for crappie fishing for sure and I like that! thumb

from the interviews ive watched, Hayden has mostly crappie fished one lake, for about 4 years. now his team is travelling all over the country fishing different lakes of different sizes and depths. he seems very intelligent and mature for 22 years. hes fishing against many veterans who have fished these same lakes, countless times, and he is winning consistently.. his learned ability to cover water 3 times faster than almost everybody else, using livescope is his ace in the hole. as well as using an 18 foot pole to minimize spooking them. hes developed a system of targeting crappie that everyone else is trying to mimic. pretty amazing for being 22 years old.

Re: Young dominating with Livescope [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #14593658 01/11/23 04:06 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

can u get me some ink for my old paper graph?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide