Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lets be honest #14587911 01/06/23 04:37 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
D
So for the world to know, how is the fishing really on Ivie?

I lived the heydays of Fork, it was stupid crowded but most people caught fish. I personally had many days for 20-30 4+ pound fish. Had many days of 200+ fish days and like I said it was crowded as heck.

I got to fish Falcon durring it's last really hot run, it was stupid good. But, not too complicated to have success.

So all these people are flocking to OH Ivie to try and replicate what some of the best sonar guys there in the world are there doing. At least in the Fork heyday you could throw a trap, spinnerbait and a jig and have a chance. Falcon you could ether drag and deep crank or power fish bushes and brush.

Seems many of these "hot lake" chasers are wasting time and money on pure hopium at Ivie.

So how are the "average Joes" doing when the venture out west?

#MFGA
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lets be honest [Re: Douglas J] #14587938 01/06/23 04:51 PM
J
J.H.S. Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Honestly it isn't great. You're seeing a few instances of some big fish but Social Media lies. I know guys who are struggling to get bit who know the lake well. If you come and put your trolling motor down and look at your LS all day could you catch a big one? Absolutely. There are a ton of guys doing it who are not catching any or many, though. If you come out here right now you will find it difficult to catch fish. Fork is absolutely still king. Falcon is also better overall. Don't let social media fool you.

Last edited by J.H.S.; 01/06/23 04:51 PM.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Lets be honest [Re: Douglas J] #14587961 01/06/23 05:05 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
I was out there last week Thursday and Friday. Thursday was by myself Friday I was with a guide. Previously I've fished with several of the best LS guys out there (including JJ), so I feel like I know what I'm doing and know a variety of decent spots on the lake. Thursday I caught 5 fish, the biggest 4lbs. Friday with a guide I caught 2 fish the biggest being 5.03. Both days I probably saw and casted at a dozen fish that were over 10lbs. Most of them I had good casts at. Each day only one of those fish even responded to the lure and neither response resulted in a hooked fish.

So here's my personal assessment for whatever it's worth. If you want to chase sub 5lb fish over the salt cedars you can probably go out there and catch a fair number. If you are targeting trophy fish it's going to be a much steeper hill to climb. When the water is below 50 degrees those fish don't have to eat every day. When the water gets below 40 they may only need to eat once or twice a week. Add to that these fish are highly pressured now, you are really hoping for the stars to align. You need to be on a big fish when a short feeding window opens for that specific fish. Otherwise, you are just casting at big blobs that couldn't care less about your lure. If you are great with LS and out there every day you've got a really solid chance at a DD as you can see every day on social media. If you are an average guy out there for a day or two unless you hit a perfect window it's likely to be tough unless you want to target smaller fish.

All that said, is there another lake in the world producing more 12lb+ fish right now? Not that I know of.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Lets be honest [Re: Douglas J] #14587964 01/06/23 05:06 PM
T
thediscochef Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
it'll pick back up after its next major pool gain like it did this time around. it's been on a steady drop all year and even the world class sonar guys aren't seeing what they were a year or two ago. after witnessing the amount of boats there's probably some human elements to it too. I'm not seeing many worthwhile reports from anyone who doesn't want to sell you something.

Last edited by thediscochef; 01/06/23 05:07 PM.

Was Hee-Haw on? Was Hee-Haw on, for you?
Re: Lets be honest [Re: thediscochef] #14587992 01/06/23 05:24 PM
J
J.H.S. Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by thediscochef
it'll pick back up after its next major pool gain like it did this time around. it's been on a steady drop all year and even the world class sonar guys aren't seeing what they were a year or two ago. after witnessing the amount of boats there's probably some human elements to it too. I'm not seeing many worthwhile reports from anyone who doesn't want to sell you something.

Out here the next major pool gain could be in 10 years. We don't get the rain out here. Ivie was super low for a long time, and it is getting back that way. It gets tougher the lower it gets.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Lets be honest [Re: Douglas J] #14588475 01/07/23 12:06 AM
Minner Bucket Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Social media and drought are our 2 worst enemies!

Re: Lets be honest [Re: Douglas J] #14588485 01/07/23 12:27 AM
D
Duke 22 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
I took the kid out there a couple of weeks ago, it was meh... We caught nine fish with the largest being 7.25#, which isn't bad at all but it's a far cry from being "hot".

Re: Lets be honest [Re: Douglas J] #14588520 01/07/23 01:09 AM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
People go to a Ivie to catch a giant and it is probably the best lake in Texas to that at right now. It doesn’t matter the lake if you are fishing for a huge fish the odds are low to begin with. That said if you are looking to catch a giant Ivie is still an odds on favorite but if your looking for a trip to catch numbers at all Ivie isn’t the best choice.
Giant bass take lots of casts.

Re: Lets be honest [Re: 9094] #14588618 01/07/23 02:29 AM
D
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by 9094
People go to a Ivie to catch a giant and it is probably the best lake in Texas to that at right now. It doesn’t matter the lake if you are fishing for a huge fish the odds are low to begin with. That said if you are looking to catch a giant Ivie is still an odds on favorite but if your looking for a trip to catch numbers at all Ivie isn’t the best choice.

The BassChamps championship there a couple years ago disproves this theory. Lots of very good teams and lots of fish caught.

Most caught them practicing really well and the amount of just fishing pressure as well as the number of teams fishing made it tougher for size.

#MFGA
Re: Lets be honest [Re: Jpurdue] #14588632 01/07/23 02:44 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I was out there last week Thursday and Friday. Thursday was by myself Friday I was with a guide. Previously I've fished with several of the best LS guys out there (including JJ), so I feel like I know what I'm doing and know a variety of decent spots on the lake. Thursday I caught 5 fish, the biggest 4lbs. Friday with a guide I caught 2 fish the biggest being 5.03. Both days I probably saw and casted at a dozen fish that were over 10lbs. Most of them I had good casts at. Each day only one of those fish even responded to the lure and neither response resulted in a hooked fish.

So here's my personal assessment for whatever it's worth. If you want to chase sub 5lb fish over the salt cedars you can probably go out there and catch a fair number. If you are targeting trophy fish it's going to be a much steeper hill to climb. When the water is below 50 degrees those fish don't have to eat every day. When the water gets below 40 they may only need to eat once or twice a week. Add to that these fish are highly pressured now, you are really hoping for the stars to align. You need to be on a big fish when a short feeding window opens for that specific fish. Otherwise, you are just casting at big blobs that couldn't care less about your lure. If you are great with LS and out there every day you've got a really solid chance at a DD as you can see every day on social media. If you are an average guy out there for a day or two unless you hit a perfect window it's likely to be tough unless you want to target smaller fish.

All that said, is there another lake in the world producing more 12lb+ fish right now? Not that I know of.

I was out there last Thursday as well. From the grumbling at the ramp it seemed to be a tough day. I caught over two dozen with the biggest being only 5.65 and had 5 overs. Funny thing is every one of them came in a 2 hour window. Before and after that window I didn’t have a single bite. Guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Re: Lets be honest [Re: Douglas J] #14588651 01/07/23 03:07 AM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Douglas J

The BassChamps championship there a couple years ago disproves this theory. Lots of very good teams and lots of fish caught.

Most caught them practicing really well and the amount of just fishing pressure as well as the number of teams fishing made it tougher for size.

I am not arguing about that, heck we had some mongo stringers last spring there. I’m talking about the people out to catch a giant.
It is amazing how many can’t wait to rush on here and tell people they are wrong.
I am also talking about fishing right now, not the fall or spring.

Re: Lets be honest [Re: 9094] #14588664 01/07/23 03:23 AM
D
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Douglas J

I am not arguing about that, heck we had some mongo stringers last spring there. I’m talking about the people out to catch a giant.
It is amazing how many can’t wait to rush on here and tell people they are wrong.
I am also talking about fishing right now, not the fall or spring.

My bad, I thought you meant overall.

It seems like too many people go there with a lot of hope and leave with a story of many miles driven and few fish caught.

#MFGA
Re: Lets be honest [Re: Douglas J] #14588681 01/07/23 03:49 AM
K
ko bass attack 27 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
We used to go several times a year from about 07 up until 2012. Caught 30-40 a day on Hags tornados with an occasional DD. Stayed at Elm Creek and during the week we would fish all day and maybe see 2 other boats.

Re: Lets be honest [Re: ko bass attack 27] #14588727 01/07/23 05:54 AM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
We used to go several times a year from about 07 up until 2012. Caught 30-40 a day on Hags tornados with an occasional DD. Stayed at Elm Creek and during the week we would fish all day and maybe see 2 other boats.

Those were the good days Before the fan boys and when people fished instead of looking at screens and started looking for one fish and then go to butthurt when it didn’t bit

Been fishing the lake since 05 First 5 trips down there I caught 7 fish total. ( trips not days). It made me go deeper and fish smarter Yea had phenomenal days there with. 37 lb sack n a tournament in 2 hours

But I’ve learned the lake and seen the highs and lows With water and fishing

Would I rather go there than fork or falcon? Hell yes right now

Last edited by Fish Killer; 01/07/23 05:55 AM.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Lets be honest [Re: Jpurdue] #14588790 01/07/23 12:49 PM
M
mossyback75 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
You need to be on a big fish when a short feeding window opens for that specific fish. Otherwise, you are just casting at big blobs that couldn't care less about your lure. If you are great with LS and out there every day you've got a really solid chance at a DD

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide