New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! #14587170 01/05/23 11:39 PM
N
NTX Angler Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
N
First off HAPPY NEW YEAR!

A lot of you know me and have used my reel cleaning services. Appreciate all the customers who have used me in my fIrst year. Its been fun and exciting to get to know you, share some fishing stories, and do business with you.
Thank you!

This post is about some things I am seeing in newer reels that just shock me.
Today I was servicing a reel and removed the line guide pawl and noticed it was made of plastic. Never seen one that was plastic. Also found the main shaft end bearing to be completely plastic on a reel I did awhile back.
Sad to see the lack of quality going aside for the greed of maintaining a bottom line.
I fear it will only get worse!

Anyone noticed any quality issues on newer well respected reel manufacturers?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: NTX Angler] #14587240 01/06/23 12:49 AM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Care to mention the brand and model of the one with plastic pawl and one with plastic bearing? My reel guy said to stay away from Quantum, he didn't like their quality.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 01/06/23 12:50 AM.
Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: NTX Angler] #14587287 01/06/23 01:30 AM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I will throw in 13 fishing having junk gears…. Have to sent it back to them to repair and the gears are expensive. quantum Reels have junk inside of them… when it breaks you can’t replace it because they don’t make replacement parts, but great news they will give you 15% off another reel with the same issues lol

Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: NTX Angler] #14587308 01/06/23 01:40 AM
N
NTX Angler Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
N
Lol Im afraid to say but I guess you need to know.

Shimano Chronarch!

I can't remember on the plastic gear. It was a shocker to me but at least it won't rust lol.

Last edited by NTX Angler; 01/06/23 01:43 AM.
Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: NTX Angler] #14587337 01/06/23 02:04 AM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by NTX Angler

A lot of you know me and have used my reel cleaning services. Appreciate all the customers who have used me in my fIrst year. Its been fun and exciting to get to know you, share some fishing stories, and do business with you.
Thank you!

Today I was servicing a reel and removed the line guide pawl and noticed it was made of plastic. Never seen one that was plastic. Also found the main shaft end bearing to be completely plastic on a reel I did awhile back.
Sad to see the lack of quality going aside for the greed of maintaining a bottom line.

yep.. on shimano stradic drags.. not smooth at all, bought a second one just to see if I had a bad one and it was just as bad.. haven't noticed the parts as they were both brand new...

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: lconn4] #14587398 01/06/23 03:01 AM
N
NTX Angler Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
N
Originally Posted by lconn4

Thank you!

yep.. on shimano stradic drags.. not smooth at all, bought a second one just to see if I had a bad one and it was just as bad.. haven't noticed the parts as they were both brand new...

I don't know what they are using on the new ones. Shimano drags are not the best for sure however if you upgrade to carbon fiber it makes a huge difference. I would say most bass fisherman just crank it all the way down and don't look back. Most I see are stuck and have never been slipped. I try to make sure my Shimanos are slipped frequent as I use braid and do use the drag. So far never had one that was all that bad.

Last edited by NTX Angler; 01/06/23 03:03 AM.
Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: NTX Angler] #14587432 01/06/23 03:37 AM
F
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by lconn4

Thank you!

I don't know what they are using on the new ones. Shimano drags are not the best for sure however if you upgrade to carbon fiber it makes a huge difference. I would say most bass fisherman just crank it all the way down and don't look back. Most I see are stuck and have never been slipped. I try to make sure my Shimanos are slipped frequent as I use braid and do use the drag. So far never had one that was all that bad.

+1

Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King] #14587473 01/06/23 05:00 AM
N
NTX Angler Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
N
Originally Posted by Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King
I will throw in 13 fishing having junk gears…. Have to sent it back to them to repair and the gears are expensive. quantum Reels have junk inside of them… when it breaks you can’t replace it because they don’t make replacement parts, but great news they will give you 15% off another reel with the same issues lol

That sounds about right these days bang

Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: NTX Angler] #14587511 01/06/23 11:50 AM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I’ve absolutely destroyed the anti reverse in 3 Shimano SLX reels in less than a year. The plastic “collar” that holds the “pins” just doesn’t hold up. Switched my heavy shock application rigs (braid and t rig rods) to Lews Superduty, I know the SLX is far from the top of the line, but expected much better from shimano. I still have Citicas and old school green curados that are going strong 10+ years later.

Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: buda13] #14587526 01/06/23 12:32 PM
N
NTX Angler Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
N
Originally Posted by buda13
I’ve absolutely destroyed the anti reverse in 3 Shimano SLX reels in less than a year. The plastic “collar” that holds the “pins” just doesn’t hold up. Switched my heavy shock application rigs (braid and t rig rods) to Lews Superduty, I know the SLX is far from the top of the line, but expected much better from shimano. I still have Citicas and old school green curados that are going strong 10+ years later.

As far as I know that anti reverse is the same on SLX as the others you mentioned. Only time I have seen them fail is when/ after they rust out. A couple have failed if the plastic that holds the pin gets damaged. I like the newer ones it has more pins and a better cage. Some of the older Shimano models have back up anti reverses. A new anti reverse with the blue cage is about $25. All my 20 year old Chronarchs still have the originals in them.

Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: NTX Angler] #14587555 01/06/23 01:18 PM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
The older Shimano reels are built like a tank, I also saw some parts that were scaled back in materials. That's why I still using many chhronarch's from the 90's, and many reels in-between this era and today. Haven't damaged any new reels, but time will tell.

Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: NTX Angler] #14587975 01/06/23 05:16 PM
N
NTX Angler Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
N
[Linked Image]

Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: NTX Angler] #14588007 01/06/23 05:37 PM
N
NateRich5797 Offline
Angler
Angler
N
NTX Angler, which reel manufacturer is the best bang for your buck in your opinion? I've been switching my arsenal over to Daiwa, and I'm loving everything about it. I have two Quantum KVD Smoke S3 reels that are just awesome in my opinion. I've had them for 3-4 years now, and they're just as smooth as the day I bought them. I know Quantum gets a lot of hate, but I plan to hold onto these until they just fall apart, if they ever do.

Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: NTX Angler] #14588480 01/07/23 12:18 AM
F
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I’ve cleaned reels for around 10 years and clean/service around 2500 a year. If you were wise I’d stick with shimano, daiwa, and abu.

Re: New reels and plastic parts replacing steel! [Re: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King] #14588703 01/07/23 04:45 AM
N
NTX Angler Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
N
Originally Posted by Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King
I’ve cleaned reels for around 10 years and clean/service around 2500 a year. If you were wise I’d stick with shimano, daiwa, and abu.

+1 ☝️☝️☝️

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide