Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Josh Jones Fishing #14575124 12/25/22 05:30 AM
Gary Dobyns Offline OP
Sasquatch
OP Offline
Sasquatch
This will be long. Josh is a friend of mine so I’ll get this out, right off. I’ve also spent many days in the boat with him. I’ve learned a lot from him and he’s picked some things up from me as well. As of this morning he has booked over 60 trips at $2000 a day. Is this price crazy, I must say yes!! But he’ll get it and anyone that goes on a trip will learn a ton. He’ll be passing great fishing info all day. Does he always catch them? NO!! But he certainly catches more big fish than anyone else right now. If fact, he catches more big fish than anyone I’ve ever known about. The numbers of big fish he catches is crazy and this makes it hard for some to believe, but I’ve seen it so many times being in the boat with him. His clients have seen it even more. He also does it on camera and hides nothing.

The day he just had where he caught so many big ones was pure crazy. He had a great morning with a 13 lber and a couple of fish over 9 pounds. Then the wind died down and he was disgusted. He called and we shot the shi* for a while. He sent me a photo of O. H. Ivey being glass calm, and said he’s done. No wind at all and they won’t bite when it’s like this. This was his thoughts as well as mine. Then he calls about 40 min later and is so dang excited as he’d caught four 9’s and a 13 in the last 30 min. So much for what we know about calm water. Truthfully, this is the rule usually. But it’s fishing and the bass don’t always read the play book.

Here's a few points I’d like to touch on. I’m jealous of his ability and most of us are too. But, I’ll never be a hater because of it. If you’re damn good you’ll have haters, period. Josh treats people that approach him very well. He takes time and talks with anyone stopping him. He’s not an a$$ and does an especially good job with kids. He does NOT use any live bait for bass. In Crappie events where it’s always legal and most use minnows, he has for sure. I’ve crappie fished with him a bunch and we’ve not used minnows at all. If he was using live bluegill as some “believe” his thousands of clients would be raising all kinds of he!! about it. Josh tries to get his clients on big fish. It’s a lot harder than it looks. You must make pinpoint casts, watch your bait, and the fish. If the bait is not presented perfectly, you will rarely get one to bite, and in fact you’ll spook many of them. Most times these fish are on the move, so a perfect cast doesn’t even get down to them before they move in another direction. You must reel in FAST and cast again. You shotgunners know about “leading” your target, you must do the same with these fish. You must cast where they’re going to be by the time you bait gets down to them. Sounds easy, but it’s not. Josh has more experience at this than anyone else. I’d bet on it!! He definetly has a few tricks and I’ll give away a couple. How many of us throw a swim jig with no trailer? A bare jig!! Before I fished with Josh, I’d done this exactly ZERO times. Basically almost dead sticking a flutter spoon, an A-Rig, a swim jig!!! I can hear some of you already saying BS on dead sticking an A-Rig. I know I called BS, when he told me about it. The first time I shared a boat with him, he made me a believer quickly. I’ve won a number of large tournaments on an A-Rig and consider myself damn good with one, but I’ve never fished it like he does. On this same first trip, he told me that a bass on the screen was a 9 pounder. I caught it and he was wrong, it was 8lbs 15oz. No shi+. He done the same thing over and over on that day. He missed by ½ to ¾ of a pound at times but I was IMPRESSED. He’s guessing these on a screen and these fish are 25-30 feet deep. He guessing the size of these fish on a screen when 90% of anglers couldn’t guess that close holding them. Guys saying he’s snagging them. Get real, this is pure stupidity. His clients would be screaming if this was the case. I’ve met some really great people through Josh, and every one of them started as a client of his. These “clients” have seen Josh’s love of catching big bass, and his love of the outdoors. They’ve become friends of his and mine. He invites them fishing all the time too. If I dropped everything and went fishing every time he calls me, I’d never get anything done. Guiding is work and it’s hard because the fish don’t always cooperate, and the angler’s skills many times are not the greatest. Remember I’ve said pinpoint accuracy, leading the fish, watching them on the screen, and keeping your bait where it needs to be. It’s not as easy as Josh makes it look.

He's on the water in the nastiest conditions (which many times are the best big fish times) when most of us are sitting by a heater at home. I know I’ve declined invites telling him I don’t care how big those fish are, you’re crazy!! Josh spends the time on the water and chases big fish. There’s NO SHORTCUTS if you’re going to be the best. You simply must spend the time, period.

The reason for my long winded post here. HATERS!! These haters do bother Josh as he has a big heart. I tell him over and over that 95% of the guys on social media have his back. They know he works for it. The other 5% are jealous and can’t accept it. I openly admit I’m jealous of his ability but I’m really happy for him, and he’s making a living fishing and this is never easy. It takes a lot of work. I also tell him if you’re good you’re going to have haters. It means your successful. Be glad you have haters!!

Sorry for the long rant. I’ll always go to bat for a friend when I know he’s doing it the right way and treats people very good.

Some of you know I lost my father one week ago today. The man that started me fishing!!! We’re really here for a short time and the older you get, time seems to go faster. It’s Holiday Season so give hugs to all of your family and friends.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575131 12/25/22 06:08 AM
Rangerkev Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Gary thanks for the post. A number of us on here have been called numerous names for not necessarily defending Josh. But asking the ones accusing him of using live bait to show us proof that he did. I don't know Josh or you. But if anyone accused either of yall of doing something without proof I would stand up for yall. I will defend anyone that is accused or called out without proof. Luckily this forum has more stand up guys then the ones that are so jealous of Josh. I want to say so much more about them. But they don't deserve my time. I'm really curious to see if Jersey Dan and Slinkey and Barrett and the others have anything to say after your post.

Rangerkev
Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575132 12/25/22 06:21 AM
GROD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Video doesn’t lie… the man catches them! Flat and simple. Good read and good on you sir for standing up for what’s right and a friend. Sorry for your loss… but you’ll see him again when the good lord says it’s time. Have a blessed Christmas.

Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575137 12/25/22 08:13 AM
O
otay michael Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Well said Gary, glad you helped this guy out, felt so sorry for him with all the hate thrown his way, and as one can see from the videos he posts, HE'S THE REAL DEAL, God bless him (and you for stepping up).
Merry Christmas.

See Michael Seewald's latest series https://www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.

[Linked Image]
Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575150 12/25/22 10:27 AM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
I have never met him and probably never will get the chance (poor boy here) but I can tell from what has been posted that he is probably a great guide and person.
it is like you said, the more haters you have the better you are, people are people and some will just hate to compensate and make themselves feel better.

hope you, josh and even the haters have a very merry christmas and a great next year.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575157 12/25/22 11:07 AM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Sorry to hear about your Dad.. lost my old man two years ago, and it's going to be a blur for a while. Prayers for you and the family. Been allot of keyboard commandos really working hard on J lately. He is getting allot of exposure, and for some reason it's caused allot of negativity to surface. All I can say is God Bless anyone who can go out and do what they love to do. Take care...

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 12/25/22 02:31 PM.
Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575161 12/25/22 11:19 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Fair enough.👍

Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575169 12/25/22 11:32 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I met him this past summer at EV Spence when he pulled up and parked next to my rig. Friend of mine and I chatted with him for 10 minutes or so. Totally different in person then he is on social media, even shared a few tips without asking for them.

Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575197 12/25/22 12:13 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
My condolences goes out to you in the recent passing of your father.

Gary, I don’t know you but after reading your post, it’s not hard to figure out what kinda person you are. All most of us on this forum can do is form an opinion of an individual by his or her posting content. You seem to be as honest and level headed, educated and compassionate as anyone on this site. Not to get into all the hoopla because I’ve said enough, but thank you for clarifying some of what you know about JJ. I hope and pray that some on here will realize just what you said…..life is just too short for haters!

On Christmas Day, I ask that us all, whether blue, black, red, or left……try to institute the 4 C’s in our lives. Consideration, compassion, commitment, and consistency…..if we all would try to immulate these traits, we would ax out the word “haters” altogether.

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, Gary, and I sure appreciate you writing this long post. It was a great read!

Okie fish

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575200 12/25/22 12:30 PM
T Bird Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I think your post was a real "stand up" kinda thing too do Gary. Many in your position would just bury their head in the sand waiting for the storm to blow over.

Good on you sir! thumb

Imagine Josh really appreciates knowing you have his back.

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575260 12/25/22 01:38 PM
C
Cuervo Jones Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Nice to hear from somebody who’s actually knows and has fished with JJ. Regardless of where he lives, how long his hair is, and all the other stuff people have been talking smack about, the guy catches lots of big fish on public lakes that I can go try my hand at too. He’s therefore inspiring (to me at least). And I hope he and all the rest of us have a merry Christmas Day and a happy and safe holiday season and 2023 in general.
Peace on earth and good will toward all, everyone!

Last edited by Cuervo Jones; 12/25/22 01:39 PM.

“Slide”
Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575263 12/25/22 01:42 PM
Tiltman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Sorry for your loss , hard to have a “merry” Christmas after that but I do wish one for you.

Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575268 12/25/22 01:47 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Thanks for the post and the clarification Gary.
I've seen this fish behavior before watching them from my uncle's front yard over looking the Ouachita River at home in Louisiana. His place over looks about a 1 acre cove that has various kinds of cover in it. Lay downs, stumps, vegetation, etc. The water is clear enough in the summer months that you can see nearly to the bottom anywhere you look in this cove and you are observing it from probably 10 feet up or better, it was like looking into an aquarium. This is where I learned that fish don't pull up and park on anything. They are like packs of wolves constantly hunting and on the move. Most schools of bass would come through that cove only staying a few minutes working the cover for something to eat swimming into the current and pass on through, and yes I've even seen crappie do this. This is also why I'm not against fishing used water and will go back to places I've already fished some days. It's like you said, you've got to cross paths with them and with the right presentation. Josh has obviously mastered this with the big ones.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575289 12/25/22 02:16 PM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
I rode with Patrick Walters on day 1 of the Bassfest on Fork the year he won it with Livescope catching them off trees in 25 to 35 feet of water. They were about 4 to 6ft down right tight to the tree. There might be 3 to 5 on a tree by Livescope. He caught them with a Vision 110+1. Three different colors but all pretty similar. He could tell what the biggest one was and focused on catching that one. It was pretty amazing what it took to get one to bite. First the bait had to come within 6” of the tree to get any interest. A foot away forget about it. Tough with the wind. It might take several times by to get interest. 95% of what he caught followed the bait 20 Ft or more before they bit. Maybe 3 all day bit at the tree. Some times it took 3 more more follows out before the fish bit. Some fish never bit even though they followed it out 10 times. He would vary the cadence according to how the fish was acting on Livescope. He did it all day long with zero breaks other than when looking for the next ones or changing locations. I mean all day long. He fished 3 locations all day. After a while I could tell about when he was going to catch one by how he was working the bait.

Also the guy I drew the next day fished the same trees in the top of the water column. Just throwing at them. Zero bites doing it. Zero.

Super nice guy. Extremely talented. He will perennially be in the top 1/3rd of the Elite Series with his skill and ability to fish at a ridiculous pace all,day. I have rode with quite a few over they years and he definitely has what it takes.At the weigh in I talked to his dad who fishes Opens. He said .”yeah Patrick loves that Livescope , I just can’t bring myself to do it, it’s too intense all the time. Not my style ”. I agreed no way I could do it. Maybe In my 20’s.

Last edited by Fishspanker; 12/25/22 02:19 PM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Josh Jones Fishing [Re: Gary Dobyns] #14575358 12/25/22 03:48 PM
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Gary sorry about the loss of your dad. My mom passed away almost 2 years ago and it's never easy. Thank you for the write up. I have fished most of my life and I catch fish when I go but no way I could do what Josh is doing. I have livescope and have had some success using but nothing over 8 lbs. It is something that you have to learn because you can see the fish but getting them to bite is a whole thing. He has mastered it and done well at it. My son will be good at it one day because he will try and try and try. I am not that patient and give up and move on. The one good thing about America is Josh can Charge what her wants too. It is what makes America great. I can't afford it with 5 kids but someone will pay it. I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and remember that Jesus is the reason why we celebrate today.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide