Print Thread
Testing new drift weights #14554587 12/04/22 01:39 AM
D
Drs1310 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Made my own drift weights today. Going to take them out tomorrow and see how they do. Were very easy and cheap to make but time consuming. Basically hand fed 1 bb at a time. I will write a review tomorrow.

Attached Files 043D1724-651B-4B40-9311-4F51C144BFC2.jpeg17A3AAB3-B09B-4A45-B961-0BDE0ED6B32D.jpeg
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Testing new drift weights [Re: Drs1310] #14554712 12/04/22 10:34 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I hope they work for you. I've been making my own as well but I broke down and bought some Carolina Lake Weights. They look really nice. I have seen these do very very well on some stumpy bottoms. They will get snagged but they always seem to come free on their own. You're right, they can be time consuming to make but I enjoy making them. Let us know how it goes!

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Re: Testing new drift weights [Re: Drs1310] #14555306 12/04/22 10:52 PM
D
Drs1310 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Hit Ray Hubbard up in 20 feet of water. Was a really slow day. The wind just wouldnโ€™t blow at all. Had maybe a 3-4 mph first thing then nothing. Used the trolling motor to move around. Weights worked well, never got hung up. Caught this one that was right at 20lbs which made the trip worth it. Also caught about a 20 inch gar.

Attached Files DD88B31C-107E-4C8D-A794-48FA972523DA.jpeg
Last edited by Drs1310; 12/04/22 10:52 PM.
Re: Testing new drift weights [Re: Drs1310] #14555930 12/05/22 04:46 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
This is a great topic. I make all of my own weights and have for years. I have a really nice selection of molds and one of the Lee production pots. Heck I even a several caliber bullet molds and pour those that I like to shoot so much that makes that easier to shoot and have fun doing so. I don't hunt anymore and have not done that in 20 years lol...

So, let's get all into these drifting weights. You guys like the weights longer? Or do they just end up longer to get the weight you need? I have made several different ones, I used heat shrink tubing on a couple different sizes and one I made with some nylon braid tubing, that just squeezes tight as it's pulled from the ends. I made these all really neat to look at, like the fish care duh, but my OCD gets me trapped into stuff so many times lol...

One thing I did notice with my nice pretty weights, was they needed to dry out if they were going back in the weight organization box. Them going in wet would just fog up the entire box and make everything in there damp. If I use just a lead weight, that not such an issue as it dries off quickly.

Point above: being I am thinking I want one solid lead weight, regardless of its diameter or length. This will allow it to dry off quickly and take up less room in the weight box. So, even more to visit about with this also lol. I have already in my mind of making a mold to even pour these if I can come up with a good diameter, length and weight to just start with. But honestly here guys I just like building things lol. I just already know I am not fond of my lead shot in shrink tubing or the nylon-a-braid tubing stuff...

They take forever to dry and I know if I had one long poured stick weight I get a better size to weight ratio and I could even put a slight bend in it that might even help the weight up and over stuff, but it would surely help keep the weight from twisting up the leader it's tied to.

So, what say you, longer better to get them to drag through stuff or is that length only really long to get the weight needed. What sort of size you guys like, and let visit not only about the length here, let's visit what diameter for the weight and how much weight...

Now, the size of bait has lots to do with all this and how deep your drifting and sure the speed your drifting will also if your intending to stay in contact with the bottom. So we are getting already several variables lol. But I want to add even one more question for you guys also.

I like to rig all this up with a weight leader of such small enough size, when the weight snags up, I try to save everything but the weight and just pull it off. I want my fluorocarbon leader and hook back, least this is how I have been doing things. Heck everyone here on this forum catches way way more and much bigger fish than I do, so I am really curious as to what you guys use, want and/or need here.

Re: Testing new drift weights [Re: Drs1310] #14556305 12/05/22 10:58 PM
D
Drs1310 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
I think having the weight longer and skinner definitely reduces the likely hood of snagging. I donโ€™t know this for sure but I just feel like it gives a little action to the bait. With that being said I have them made that way out of convenience. All I had to buy was the snap swivel. Had the copper bbโ€™s and paracord at the house. Thatโ€™s the maximum length for me. Each is 1 ounce so I had to put two on each swivel to get me to 2 ounces. I never really complained about my old sinker weights, just wanted to try something new.

I typically donโ€™t fish much deeper than 30 feet, so 2 ounces is perfect for me. I also donโ€™t use gigantic tackle. Just 6โ€™6 medium heavy rods and 30lbs mono. If I was to go heavier Iโ€™d probably like a heavier weight. All I care about is being able to have a nice tight line while dragging.

Re: Testing new drift weights [Re: Drs1310] #14556340 12/05/22 11:31 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Dr's,

I am thinking like you, the smaller diameter should come through some stuff better, least my thinking. I don't think it will come through everything though and why I am really curious to see what all the fish catching guys here have to say, I certainly need all the help I can get.

Re: Testing new drift weights [Re: Drs1310] #14558522 12/08/22 11:32 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Rowdy, I use #8 shot for my homemade weights. I use the expandable nylon tubing and I also use the heat shrink to make the ends look a little cleaner. I crimp on a spade lug with a hole in it for the snap to hold it on with. So if it snags the crimp will pull off and like you said, I will get most of my rig back. I just bought some Carolina Lake Weights and they are very nice compared to my homemade ones and honestly by the time I pay for the lead, the nylon and the heat shrink, the cost is not that much different.

I don't like the solid ones. I think the flexibility that I get from using the small shot for weight makes them better at what I use them for and that is dragging over the sticks and rocks on the bottom without getting stuck.

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide