fly fishing for carp #14542945 11/22/22 02:06 AM
D
danial S Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
hey all!

Grabbed myself a nice 8wt fly fishing rod to expand my library in fishing. Mainly got it for salmon fishing in canada trips and for gar, but i entirely skimped over the idea of fly fishing for carp. Would love some insight on where to head out to for some carp fishing in the dallas area, what baits and rigs, etc. looks like im in time for "carp season" as many of these posts suggest.

Re: fly fishing for carp [Re: danial S] #14543457 11/22/22 05:47 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Joe Poole lake has many that need to be exercised at the dock, the public feeds them popcorn from the dock there and anything you can just roll cast around there will more than get their attention...

I just saw on our classified section a nice 8/9 wt rod and reel setups for a good buy for anyone interested in one that would have the backbone for carp and the like. It's a 4 piece rod has the case that you can keep the reel in also. Shave on money buying all setup and ready to fish. Here is a hyperlink to the ad

8/9 wt flyrod combo

I want to add here, if you have not fished for these on the fly and even just half interested in the idea, proceed carefully as it's very addictive and good for our soul lol. The freshwater bullreds (carp/Buffalo) will flat out show off big time on the fly.

Last edited by Rowdy; 11/22/22 06:00 PM.
Re: fly fishing for carp [Re: danial S] #14543523 11/22/22 06:36 PM
D
danial S Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Man, I sure missed out. That fly outfit looks awfully nice for 80$. I did some more research on my end to find some flats. Seems to be a nice one on Lewisville Old Dam on the west side. Might have to check that out in unison with Joe Pool. What dock exactly are you mentioning? I've never fished Joe pool, so I'm not very familiar with the lake.

On a side note, what do the carp feed on in these Texas reservoirs? My current arsenal of flies is fixing to be a couple San Juan worms in red and pink, wolly buggers in black and olive, and some of those roe flies in yellow. might try my hand at a bit of float fishing like I did for salmon and see if that produces, but right now it seems the most effective method is "drag and drop."

Re: fly fishing for carp [Re: danial S] #14543894 11/23/22 12:54 AM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Lynn Creek Marina,

There I just used anything that floats once they have been worked up by the public feeding them popcorn and bread, so naturally if you have anything in a white color that floats, they will be all over that lol. Trick there is to feed them something that floats if the public is not there.

Any cheap dry dog food floats and they love that as well... You get them worked up anywhere though with range cubes in a few hours, then fling out some dry dog food if you want to mess with them on the fly. Above all, the way most are caught is with a bottom rig and dough bait, but when you get them in an area all concentrated they like to roll around on the top and eat any and everything. They are a blast to fish for. Be sure to have a long set of Hemostats to remove the flies the get deep or just cut them off and let them spit them out on their own later. I have a pair of 12" hemostats that works great and easy on the fish...

Then if the water is clear and clean enough and you see them, to site fish for them is a hoot with the fly. I have a small crayfish pattern that has really did well. A spyder pattern would do well around the docks and you most likely catch all sorts of fish in and around the docks. Just short roll casts to fish you see and they will be all over it. So, you have some options imo if your going after them on the fly. Just work them up if you don't already see them, they like to feed lol.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide