Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. #14530726 11/10/22 01:07 AM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
My pal said we should try to catch some carp down at the river after seeing a bunch in the shallows. I am not much of a carp fisherman but said sure, you guys always make it look fun. So we are going tomorrow after work. I made dough bait off a recipe online.
My bass rods and reels will be fine?
Is it better to use braid or mono for carp?
Are carp line shy?
Is a Carolina rig OK?
How much weight in current?
What size hook?
Tight line like catfish?

Any tips would be nice for this and future attempts.

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14530757 11/10/22 01:37 AM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Bass tackle should be fine. I would fish a carolina style rig with a slip sinker. I have found that carp are not especially line shy. Braid or mono should work. If your bait will hold on a single hook, I would use a size 6. If you have to use a treble I would use a size 8. Make sure you use strong hooks. Carp are scrappers.

You might take some bread for bait too. Pack a bread ball around a single hook pretty tightly. Leave the tip of the hook exposed slightly. Also consider taking some canned or frozen corn. Bait the area with the corn and fish the baited area with some corn on a single hook. Watch your rods. Carp have been known to pull them into the water with little to no warning. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14531219 11/10/22 02:59 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Go get em! hooked

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14532039 11/11/22 01:16 AM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
We just got back. We got a bunch of I guess bites. We would feel bumps like a 7" bass was trying to get a 8" worm all in it's mouth We would feel and see em and we would set the hook and they were gone. Swing and a miss, over and over. I got a nickle sized scale skewered on the tip of my hook once when I got it in. But we never caught one. We could see them in the water. We would feel a take but I guess they never had it in their mouths. If we left it for them to run with it they would just take our bait They would be on it many times within a minute.

We used a small single hook. To get the dough to stay in the current we sacrificed an ink pen for it's spring. I cut the spring with my pliers and threaded it on the hook. Dough stayed after that. I do not think the spring interfered as the gap was wide open and the point still exposed. I would throw out little dough balls and you could sometimes see them eat those as the water was real clear. We were befuddled, they just would not take our baits all the way. Also hard to see a real take, the current bowed the line downstream and the wind made it flutter. Carp everywhere. Many times we would cast out and land on top of one and it would race off like a rocket.

Still a fun time. We both had a blast even though we caught nothing. For sure gonna try again. they like the dough I made for sure.

Will try the corn next time.

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14532078 11/11/22 01:51 AM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Keep at it. The current can make things difficult. Good luck.

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14532972 11/11/22 09:37 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
I sent you a PM.

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14533138 11/12/22 12:36 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Try using range cubes as bait.

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14533434 11/12/22 03:14 PM
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Yup, some kind of a hair rig, like Osbornfishing is showing, will help with the hookups.

1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14536153 11/15/22 02:30 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Osborn runs the line through the eye of the hook wrong from everything I was ever shown. You always put the line through the eye of the hook of the point side first to start any knot. Doesn't matter what knot your using either.

This way once the knot is finished, the point of the hook is naturally canted upward and not away from the main line. It just places the hook in a better angle for the Hookset at the bite or taking of the bait.

Just my take on the tying of hooks to line anyway. Not trying to disrespect anyone here at all either. Just pointing out what he has done there and that by tying the hook that way you have the hook canted away from the main line... Not the best presentation for a hook set...

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14536858 11/15/22 11:49 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Thanks fellas, got a bunch of hair rig vids lined up to watch.

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: Rowdy] #14538032 11/17/22 01:04 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Rowdy
Osborn runs the line through the eye of the hook wrong from everything I was ever shown. You always put the line through the eye of the hook of the point side first to start any knot. Doesn't matter what knot your using either.

This way once the knot is finished, the point of the hook is naturally canted upward and not away from the main line. It just places the hook in a better angle for the Hookset at the bite or taking of the bait.

Just my take on the tying of hooks to line anyway. Not trying to disrespect anyone here at all either. Just pointing out what he has done there and that by tying the hook that way you have the hook canted away from the main line... Not the best presentation for a hook set...

Thanks for the comment. I always enjoy differing opinions about my posts. The reason I go through the top of the hook is because when the hook is pulled tight to the cube, I want the hook to kick out away from the line. I just like the way it sets next to the cube. I have gone through the hook the other way and I did not see a difference in the hook-up rate, so if you prefer that, it should work. I have caught hundreds of carp and buffalo with the range cube rig and I have had many anglers indicate they have been successful with the rig. I am interested in testing different techniques, but my final methods are usually based on the technique that catches me the most fish. roflmao

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14540530 11/19/22 02:17 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Nice, have not had a chance to go back out but gonna try in the marina by the boat slip. Questions if there are carps sucking the bottom of the docks will they be on the bottom too? I figure it will be way easier to catch them fishing straight down and no current.

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14540559 11/19/22 02:56 PM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by jippedgenes
Nice, have not had a chance to go back out but gonna try in the marina by the boat slip. Questions if there are carps sucking the bottom of the docks will they be on the bottom too? I figure it will be way easier to catch them fishing straight down and no current.

If you are seeing carp on the surface around a marina it often indicates someone is feeding them and you have a good option of catching them on top or bottom. If you want to see the quality of fish you have in the area throw out some floating dog food and see what type of action you get. If they are on top, I like to catch them with a fly. However, floating a hook in a piece of bread or a bobber with corn under it can be very effect. If carp are in the area you should be able to catch some nice fish on the bottom. Chumming with range cubes will really concentrate them at this time of year. It looks like you are set up for some successful fishing. Oh and make sure if you are fishing straight down your rods are secured. Even a small carp can easily pull a rod off a dock. I can’t wait to see your pictures. popcorn

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14540764 11/19/22 06:43 PM
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
What about the ducks? Any ideas on how to avoid a duck-hookup, other than go somewhere else?

1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: Osbornfishing] #14541084 11/20/22 01:01 AM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Originally Posted by jippedgenes

If you are seeing carp on the surface around a marina it often indicates someone is feeding them and you have a good option of catching them on top or bottom. If you want to see the quality of fish you have in the area throw out some floating dog food and see what type of action you get. If they are on top, I like to catch them with a fly. However, floating a hook in a piece of bread or a bobber with corn under it can be very effect. If carp are in the area you should be able to catch some nice fish on the bottom. Chumming with range cubes will really concentrate them at this time of year. It looks like you are set up for some successful fishing. Oh and make sure if you are fishing straight down your rods are secured. Even a small carp can easily pull a rod off a dock. I can’t wait to see your pictures. popcorn

Great info! I trained today and felt like being on the couch with icepacks but tomorrow before football...I will see how I feel. My pal says the carp I see on top are sucking the algae off the boatlift pontoons. Makes a popping noise.

I will try some bread by one of the lift edges and some wadded up bread with goldfish food mixed in for the bottom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide