Print Thread
Fines #14527938 11/07/22 06:12 PM
F
flashman252 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Interesting read on the polygraph on the other thread. Got me thinking, supposedly some big wigs are failing the polygraphs and paying out fines. Many members have stated that there is that gray area of cheating and just paying the fine to win 100k or stay honest and maybe never compete with the guys doing it. I know it would look bad if MLF or BASS posted it, but it should be posted the amount guys are paying in fines, year to year, if this is really going on. Wonder if anyone has any knowledge on who is paying fines consistently and how much. I would be curious. Thoughts boys?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fines [Re: flashman252] #14528009 11/07/22 07:10 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Agree, but it doesn’t affect me and if the other anglers are cool with it, so be it.

Re: Fines [Re: flashman252] #14528432 11/08/22 01:35 AM
S
SK1 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Polygraph test have been proven time and time again to be not accurate and easily manipulated by people who know how too control their emotions and breathing regardless of questions whether the response is true or not. Don't even know why these organizations still use this outdated technology. Passing or failing a Polygraph proves absolutely nothing. If a guy is nervous or has anxiety or guilty conscious about something else, he could easily fail a Polygraph even if someone saw him catch his fish. This policy always has been garbage and has never done anything to address cheating. Like putting a bandaid on cancer.On the surface it looks good but doesn't really do anything.

Re: Fines [Re: SK1] #14528490 11/08/22 02:42 AM
L
leethefishking Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
L
Originally Posted by SK1
Polygraph test have been proven time and time again to be not accurate and easily manipulated by people who know how too control their emotions and breathing regardless of questions whether the response is true or not. Don't even know why these organizations still use this outdated technology. Passing or failing a Polygraph proves absolutely nothing. If a guy is nervous or has anxiety or guilty conscious about something else, he could easily fail a Polygraph even if someone saw him catch his fish. This policy always has been garbage and has never done anything to address cheating. Like putting a bandaid on cancer.On the surface it looks good but doesn't really do anything.
Now I can’t speak to quickie polys done in a van at the lake although I’ve taken quite a few but I will tell you that they are far from junk science. A good criminal polygrapher that’s done hundreds of criminal and pre employement polys will be impossible to beat on a break down test in a controlled environment. Go ahead and think what you want or listen to some good old boys that couldn’t pass and spouted that [censored] but they definitely have their place. A guy isn’t failing a poly because the polygrapher is trying to or set out to bust him. He is failing a poly because he is indicating on an area of the test that would disqualify him or he is not able to maintain a baseline due to stimulants or a medical condition.

Re: Fines [Re: flashman252] #14528642 11/08/22 01:18 PM
S
SK1 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
To date ,has a Polygraph test given after a bassfishing tournament ever proved or disproved a fisherman's guilt or innocence? Or do the rules clearly state that if you fail the Polygraph you only pay a fine? If Polygraph test were really fool proof,they would be used by the criminal justice system too prove or disprove guilt or innocence in a court of law.
Test results can be admitted into court documents but cannot be used to convict someone of a crime because the test is not accurate.

Re: Fines [Re: SK1] #14528646 11/08/22 01:21 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by SK1
To date ,has a Polygraph test given after a bassfishing tournament ever proved or disproved a fisherman's guilt or innocence? Or do the rules clearly state that if you fail the Polygraph you only pay a fine? If Polygraph test were really fool proof,they would be used by the criminal justice system too prove or disprove guilt or innocence in a court of law.
Test results can be admitted into court documents but cannot be used to convict someone of a crime because the test is not accurate.

MLF anglers are the only ones getting fined.

Re: Fines [Re: grout-scout] #14528694 11/08/22 02:21 PM
F
furim2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Which pro circuit is even getting polygraphed? I'm calling BS on this one.

Re: Fines [Re: flashman252] #14528821 11/08/22 03:45 PM
F
flashman252 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Personally I cannot speak to the science of a polygraph test but lots of youtube videos out of anglers going in and doing them. Lots of guys admitting to having to take them. The sprague incident brought to light there is this fine balance of guys who might stay honest and maybe win by a chance or luck or skill, but if you are going to win 100k and pay a fine, but still be classified as a winner and just pay a fine, then more guys will be likely to get crooked. I just would like to know who is paying fines on a regular basis and what the amounts are. Might make us look at some of these anglers in different ways. Also, wondering if this was public knowledge, if less anglers would want to be deemed as one of those "crooked" anglers to try and get a win.

Re: Fines [Re: flashman252] #14529395 11/09/22 12:08 AM
S
SK1 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
On that level where you have a judge and camera man in the boat watching your every move, if a guy is clever enough and gutsy enough to pull it with a judge and cameraman in the boat,what makes you think that this guy or guys wouldn't be savvy enough to cheat a Polygraph, just doesn't make sense. If the Polygraph doesn't prove anything and all the tournament directors are going to do is fine an angler for failing one and give him his check and trophy, what's the use?

Am I the only one here that see's how wrong this is? How many pro anglers do you think would gladly pay a fine to collect 100k,a trophy bragging rights and 5min of fame?

Re: Fines [Re: SK1] #14530537 11/09/22 10:56 PM
F
flashman252 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Originally Posted by SK1
On that level where you have a judge and camera man in the boat watching your every move, if a guy is clever enough and gutsy enough to pull it with a judge and cameraman in the boat,what makes you think that this guy or guys wouldn't be savvy enough to cheat a Polygraph, just doesn't make sense. If the Polygraph doesn't prove anything and all the tournament directors are going to do is fine an angler for failing one and give him his check and trophy, what's the use?

Am I the only one here that see's how wrong this is? How many pro anglers do you think would gladly pay a fine to collect 100k,a trophy bragging rights and 5min of fame?

I dont think the cheating necessarily happens in the boat with a judge present. I think it is more along the lines of receiving information or watching live feed when anglers are not supposed to. It is the cheating outside the boat that is being polygraphed. And honestly, if I had to pay a 20k fine to receive 100k.... seems like a pretty damn good investment to me. Especially if the organization is going to hide these fines or these wrong doings to protect the "integrity" of the league.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide