Page 1 of 2 1 2
What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? #14517230 10/27/22 12:27 PM
G
Gerald Mactee Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G

Had 29,5 yesterday. Low! I figured it wouldn’t be a great day. And it wasn’t. What do you find you do best in? Rising barometer? Falling barometer? No pressure? High pressure? Steady barometer?

Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14517285 10/27/22 01:20 PM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Personally, I never look at the barometer. I just go fish when I can and let the fish tell me if they want to bite. roflmao That being said, you can always find interesting trends by associating data to any event. You may get some interesting comments on the thread.

Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14517322 10/27/22 01:36 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
I kept a fishing journal for a year; fishing mostly for large mouth bass.

Cloud cover was the primary independent meteorological variable on overall likelihood of fish biting. The more cloud cover, the better.

For example, yesterday we had low air pressure, but hardly a cloud in the sky.

In general, fish like stable conditions. If the water level, the water clarity, and the air pressure have been stable for four days or more, the fishing will tend to be good.

I don't fish in lightning or thunderstorms; but I did notice a trend of really good fishing the 4-5 hours just before a front approaches as the cloud cover increases. If the front is extreme, the more likelihood of bigger fish being triggered to bite.

With that being said, there are more important variables than weather conditions.
Confidence. Having faith that you are throwing the correct lure in the right location.
Certain times of the year can be very good; in particular a 2-3 week window in the post spawn late May/early June.
Fishing pressure. Weekday fishing will tend to be better than the weekends
Night fishing can be very good, especially in the summer.

[Linked Image]
Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14517425 10/27/22 02:41 PM
O
outdoor-addict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
"90% of the fish are in 10% of the lake"

Fishing can be as simple or as complicated as one wants to make it.

Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14517465 10/27/22 03:18 PM
A
avid_basser Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
A
I'm a firm believer in the barometer pressure...when fishing for giant northerns / muskies.

My grandpa had it down to a science. We wouldn't walk out to the boat if the pressure wasn't right. I would be allowed to fish the docks and banks. Did I catch fish, sure, but they weren't big. When the pressure was right, we'd hop in the boat and start casting. He and I boated many nice sized northerns and muskies together.

As for bass, they're a different breed. They like things stable as stated above. They seem to like the cloud cover as it allows them to be more "covered" and stealthy.

Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14517563 10/27/22 05:15 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Bluebird skies and high pressure make it tough.

Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14517593 10/27/22 05:36 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
There are some on here that will not go fishing if it is between a certain number or falling or rising too fast. That is not me. I NEVER pay attention to the barometer. It is directly related to the weather conditions but not related to whether fish bite or not IMO. For example, low pressure = rain, clouds and wind which equals fish roaming and more of a chance for schooling fish (whitebass and bass) with low light conditions. High pressure = no clouds, sun and no wind and so fish are generally not schooling as much and hugging bottom and cover. I prefer high pressure most of the time because it puts the fish in the cover where I am looking and they aren't roaming all over the place.

Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: CCTX] #14535417 11/14/22 07:14 PM
Collindave Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by CCTX
I kept a fishing journal for a year; fishing mostly for large mouth bass.

Cloud cover was the primary independent meteorological variable on overall likelihood of fish biting. The more cloud cover, the better.

For example, yesterday we had low air pressure, but hardly a cloud in the sky.

In general, fish like stable conditions. If the water level, the water clarity, and the air pressure have been stable for four days or more, the fishing will tend to be good.

I don't fish in lightning or thunderstorms; but I did notice a trend of really good fishing the 4-5 hours just before a front approaches as the cloud cover increases. If the front is extreme, the more likelihood of bigger fish being triggered to bite.

With that being said, there are more important variables than weather conditions.
Confidence. Having faith that you are throwing the correct lure in the right location.
Certain times of the year can be very good; in particular a 2-3 week window in the post spawn late May/early June.
Fishing pressure. Weekday fishing will tend to be better than the weekends
Night fishing can be very good, especially in the summer.

true that!
90% fish in 10% of the water. or, they are always biting somewhere and someone will figure them out. I go when I can and we can usually find something. I like the comment above by CCTX

Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14536037 11/15/22 01:05 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Gerald Mactee

Had 29,5 yesterday. Low! I figured it wouldn’t be a great day. And it wasn’t. What do you find you do best in? Rising barometer? Falling barometer? No pressure? High pressure? Steady barometer?

Steady barometer ! Big swings affect a fish's swim bladder, once it stabilizes , normally ok to find and catch fish. Boyles Law has some applications with regard to swim bladders.

Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14537293 11/16/22 02:36 PM
C
cajuncountryman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Being an older bass guy- when the winds turn from the east, I put it on the trailer !

Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14540478 11/19/22 01:17 PM
S
SenkoSam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S

Agree fully!
I wrote a post about lure types, namely lures that flaunt their stuff like large spoons, wide lip crankbaits, noisy surface lures and large blade spinnerbaits to more subtle moving/acting lures such 7" T-rigged worms, drop shot, Carolina rig and small soft plastics on light jigheads.
The correct lure in the right location involves choosing the right action and presentation for current conditions including weather conditions and time of year. What you cast and how lures are worked make all the difference IMO, barometric pressure (change) notwithstanding.

Besides that, I can't build a fish location pattern based on BP.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 11/19/22 01:22 PM.
Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14540494 11/19/22 01:28 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
If I have the luxury of choosing when to fish, I'll go when the barometric pressure is falling, which often happens shortly before a storm. Some of my most amazing fishing days have been in such conditions. Likewise, I'll avoid fishing if the barometric pressure is rising. Big puffy cloud days seem to be better than 'bluebird sky' days.

But, more and more I find that I don't get the luxury of picking and choosing my fishing days any more. Most of this summer was just too hot for me to take the boat out at all, so barometric pressure was irrelevant for me. Nowadays, my kids school schedule seems to determine my fishing days juggle

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14549134 11/29/22 02:26 AM
R
Rube G. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Rising barometer for me.

Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Osbornfishing] #14549438 11/29/22 02:02 PM
C
COWBOYSFAN008 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Personally, I never look at the barometer. I just go fish when I can and let the fish tell me if they want to bite. roflmao That being said, you can always find interesting trends by associating data to any event. You may get some interesting comments on the thread.

THIS!

"On the 8th day, God created the DALLAS COWBOYS"
Real men love Jesus, don't wear scarves, pop their gum, or use an umbrella....IMO

<*\\\><
PHIL 4:13
Re: What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing? [Re: Gerald Mactee] #14556665 12/06/22 01:19 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Yes it does effect the fish. I can tell you as well as my customers when I call it when we catch them.

A moving barometric pressure is ok but if you can catch it between 29.50 - 29.90 and 30.00 being the very top you will be catching them. If you are around them and have a productive bait.

I have watched cows for years and point this out to the customers many times. Cows are up very good chance you catch some fish. Cows laying down .... Well you best just go mow the yard. IMO

Just a couple of months ago had one of my lady customers and we had scratched out a few and I told her the Barometric press was killing us cause it was high.

She had heard me say this before. I said if it starts to drop and we get under 30 we will catch them. A hour or so later it dropped 6 points and got us at 29.98 and she hit 6 fish in 10 cast with big fish of the day.

It continued to drop to 29.93 and we had more fish in that hour than all day.

If you are not watching it you are missing a key to catching. I check it several times a day even when I hunt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide