Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
All Work and No Play #14510776 10/20/22 01:43 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
For the last several years I have not missed fishing more than a couple weekends all year long. In fact, some weeks I would get 2 or even the occasional 3 trips in a week. I think COVID might have had something to do with that because I was not traveling and work was a little slow. I was blessed that it was just a little slow and I didn't lose my job like so many did. So, I am not complaining here. But...
Work has come full circle and I'm crazy busy, I'm at my desk 12 hours a day most days and spend a good about of time here on the weekends too. We have a submission going in on a project middle of next month. There are only 2 teams proposing so we have a 50/50 chance of a win. The construction cost of the project is between 2 and 3 Billion dollars. The design fees for my team will be in the 5 Million dollar range. I have a lot of mouths to feed so this is a big big deal.

Fishing, sadly has had to take a back seat. Now, I know all of you are or have been (for my retired friends) hard working people dedicated to your craft and to providing for your families like I am. I have become more and more obsessed with chasing these Bluecats here in North Texas and elsewhere. I absolutely love the time I get to spend on the Tennessee River in North Alabama and next winter, we are planning a trip to the mighty James river in Virginia. I will figure out what other bucket list catfish destinations there are to experience after that. But, as I say, fishing has been knocked down a rung or two on my priority ladder.

I will still find a way to scratch the itch when I can...

Case in point, I was able to clear my calendar yesterday and I met an old friend at the marina to spend the day on the water. In fact, this is the guy who is mostly responsible for my obsession as he introduced me to bluecat fishing shortly after I moved to Texas. We had a great day sitting in the boat catching up on family stuff, what our kids are doing, our newest tattoos and everything else under the sun. It was a beautiful cool fall day. The fishing was tough. I was on the water at 6:00 am to get bait. With the cool temps I expected the marina to be void of bait and it was. I headed out to see if they had gone deep and they really hadn't I found them on the windward side of the island, which really isn't an island anymore. It's a peninsula. Another note about the low water. It has gotten to the point that they had to relocate the restaurant because there wasn't enough water under it to float it anymore. Really sad, keep praying for rain.

Anyway, I had some rigs to fix so I put the bait on ice and did the repairs I needed to on the rigs and when I was done my friend showed up and we went fishing. Started on the East side. Got a 6 pounder within the first 25 or 20 minutes. That always makes you think the bite is on. Well, it wasn't. we ran that drift for almost 3 hours and only managed one more eater. After that I decided it was time to look around some more. I probably went through $75 worth of gas looking for fish. We looked EVERYWHERE! From brockdale to the 380 flats. Nothing. By now it's 1:30 and I said there is one more place I wanna look and it it's empty we are gonna call no joy and head for the barn. So we went to the last place. IT was not a place to drift. It was a spot lock and suspend place. So we set up and waited. 20 minutes in we got what we were looking for. 31.5 pounds and a great tussle. Love the fight when you have them on a short leash!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So, we pulled out a win in the 9th inning. Or more appropriately, we got a goal in the final minutes of the third period! (Stars are 3 and 0 y'all, just sayin). It was a really good day and time well spent even if I should have been at work.

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: All Work and No Play [Re: Catfish Tim] #14510911 10/20/22 04:06 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Nice Tim... What lake are you fishing anyway.

Your project you are getting a proposal for sounds like a really big deal with those size of funds involved, really big. Good luck with landing that catch as well man...

Re: All Work and No Play [Re: Catfish Tim] #14511408 10/21/22 12:19 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
As always, time on the water and patience won the day.

That's a great looking fish and I bet it pulled that rod over double on a short lead. Awesome!

Good luck with the big bid. Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

Retirement has been such a blessing for me I have to pinch myself sometimes.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: All Work and No Play [Re: Catfish Tim] #14511604 10/21/22 11:20 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Rowdy, I fish Lavon. And you are right about the project. One of the biggest in the US right now and I've had a hand in 3 of the last 4 biggest projects in the US in my field. It would be great to get this one...

Catfish Tim

Re: All Work and No Play [Re: Catfish Tim] #14511652 10/21/22 12:33 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Solid post and fish. Good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: All Work and No Play [Re: Catfish Tim] #14512847 10/22/22 07:12 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Good luck with the bid Tim!

Nice work on the fish... and a little blood just for good measure!

I understand the work/family over fishing and hunting. Had a couple of family health things lately, and this is silly season for whiskey making/sales. Glad I can be there for family and blessed to have a good job... but I am sure missing the boat and hunting blinds right now. Need a little more of it just for my sanity. Got a few more weeks of packed schedule, then hoping it eases up a little.

But boat is still hanging over dry ground. I am planning to get the duck boat out and play a little... better than nothing!

Will try to catch up with you soon.

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: All Work and No Play [Re: Catfish Tim] #14512870 10/22/22 07:59 PM
S
Skeeter Temp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Good luck and great pic bud!

Rip some LIPS!!!

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for his friends
Re: All Work and No Play [Re: Catfish Tim] #14513157 10/23/22 09:30 AM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Man, great job finding a brute on a really tough bite!

We'll say a prayer for you and the family today for the project. It's truly a blessing to be able to make those deals and the good Lord above has a say in every one of them! I was recently reminded of that with a suggestion to read Deuteronomy 8:18. I don't usually quote scripture but it's very fitting to this conversation. Congrats to you Tim. Usually the amount of success you have directly correlates to the amount of blood, sweat and tears you have invested and I can imagine there's a LOT of that on a deal that big!

I have been able to get out and fish recently but I've been fulfilling my wife's wishes for some fall crappie action! You know, happy wife, happy life! We've been smacking the slabs too. She doesn't have even the slightest desire to get on some good ole whiskerfish. I don't get it, but she also doesn't like to fish when it's below 80 degrees so, come November/December it's on baby!

Hope the rain comes tomorrow for everyone's sake. If we don't get some soon, we're gonna be in for a tough winter season.

Oh, and Tim, I bet that was a really satisfying day on the water. There's something about fishing with an old friend that's like icing on a cake! Or, if you're anything like me, gravy on the potatoes LOL! Good times for sure.

texas

Re: All Work and No Play [Re: Catfish Tim] #14513160 10/23/22 10:19 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Geno, It is surely He who gives the ability to create wealth! He daily richly blesses us with everything we need to support this body and life. He has given me responsibility for many and he continues to give me all I need to provide for them all. Amen!
This project would be a pinnacle for my career as it and it's sister that we start chasing next month will likely take me all the way to retirement. Great blessings for sure and still challenging at the same time. God is good.

It seems that the fish are getting fewer and bigger this time of year, which is kinda what I expect. As the water cools off and the winter pattern sets in, I expect the numbers to go back up. Lavon turned over and this wind should cleanse the remnants of that. Be good to get that behind us. My brother is coming down to fish a couple days first of November and I am hoping Lady Lavon shows out for him. It was great catching up with my old buddy. He was is a good friend and was a great help to me when I first moved to Texas. It was a good-for-my-soul kind of day...

God Bless and Tight Lines y'all...

Catfish Tim

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide