Print Thread
Fairfield - interesting observation #14503597 10/13/22 02:30 AM
B
Ben B Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Overall it was a slow day with 10 in the boat and another 5 or so missed. Fished 9-3 and tried the usual stuff…oddly enough the only thing I could get bit on was top water, however bites came all throughout the day.

I fished mainly around the grass which is almost totally dead at this point - which I hadn’t really planned but with the wind up a bit I decided the check out areas that might have bait fish pushed into them. Sure enough, just about every area I was in had bait in or around the dead grass. But like I said…the bass were hard to come by. I would have thought that was due to low oxygen with the dying grass - but wouldn’t that effect the shad too? I also noticed the ones I did catch were INCREDIBLY skinny. For instance, I caught one that was pushing 22” but weighed it - and it only went 3.27!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on this at all? Why there were bait fish in these areas but few bass? Why the bass looked like they were starving?

And by the way…the south ramp is horrible with the low water level right now. Haven’t been out there when it’s that low and I won’t launch there again until we get rain. Ramp is uneven and drops off - put on quite a show for the guys fishing at the dock before I was finally able to get the boat to sit right on the trailer…

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fairfield - interesting observation [Re: Ben B] #14503612 10/13/22 02:43 AM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Ain't gonna need to worry about any of that in a few months... She's closing down in December

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Fairfield - interesting observation [Re: dk2429] #14503620 10/13/22 02:50 AM
B
Ben B Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Originally Posted by dk2429
Ain't gonna need to worry about any of that in a few months... She's closing down in December

Not according to the people working there today. The ladies in the office as well as 2 employees down by the ramp said they haven’t been told anything about the state park closing and outside of the hunts over the holidays that they always close for - they would still be in business after the new year.

One lady said someone was spreading that rumor because they were doing a tournament out there and were probably trying to drum up more people for it under the guise that the lake wouldn’t be accessible after January 1.

I’m just telling you what they told me…but I’m a nobody.

Re: Fairfield - interesting observation [Re: Ben B] #14503779 10/13/22 12:57 PM
skeeterfan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I went last Wed and Thursday. Blue Bird skies and no wind. Caught 10 total on Wednesday. Thursday a.m. was a different day. Still blue bird and no wind but the fish were active. I caught 25 up to 6.5 lbs by 11:00 am. There was equipment on the shore mowing down the cattails and reeds. They were using a small excavator with a shredder attachment. I asked one of the ladies at the Ranger station who was doing that and she said it was the Power Company. I wondered why the Seller would be doing that at this point. Maybe the potential Buyer is getting “Cold Feet”? Anyway that is the first time in many years that I have seen the shoreline at FF.

Attached Files B897E3F7-BF6D-47FF-AD26-8E91931CB4AE.jpegCB03E578-977A-4034-9ACA-248D3B44DBAF.jpegC86033E4-8D00-4B2F-97CD-0FBA62E0EEE1.jpeg
Re: Fairfield - interesting observation [Re: Ben B] #14504528 10/13/22 11:52 PM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by Ben B

Not according to the people working there today. The ladies in the office as well as 2 employees down by the ramp said they haven’t been told anything about the state park closing and outside of the hunts over the holidays that they always close for - they would still be in business after the new year.

One lady said someone was spreading that rumor because they were doing a tournament out there and were probably trying to drum up more people for it under the guise that the lake wouldn’t be accessible after January 1.

Huh, interesting! Guys on here have been ranting on about how it's closing this December. That's good to hear!

Re: Fairfield - interesting observation [Re: Ben B] #14504554 10/14/22 12:13 AM
B
basscaster46 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Heard today in Fairfield Mark Cuban is the new owner going to develop it but lake will not be closed to public.
Also said the main boat ramp will be only ramp . Tpwd will still be there don’t know how big state park will be but hey could be worse

I got all day I’m retired
Re: Fairfield - interesting observation [Re: dk2429] #14504567 10/14/22 12:20 AM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D

Huh, interesting! Guys on here have been ranting on about how it's closing this December. That's good to hear!

Never listen to rumors

Re: Fairfield - interesting observation [Re: Dubee] #14504695 10/14/22 01:50 AM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by Dubee

Never listen to rumors

I've always been told everything on the internet is true.... Thanks for your advice though
cheers

Re: Fairfield - interesting observation [Re: basscaster46] #14504880 10/14/22 08:00 AM
M
Monty Wright Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted by basscaster46
Heard today in Fairfield Mark Cuban is the new owner going to develop it but lake will not be closed to public.
Also said the main boat ramp will be only ramp . Tpwd will still be there don’t know how big state park will be but hey could be worse

Cuban did buy the little town of Mustang, just south of Corsicana on I-45.

Daiwa biased

Half Past First Cast
^^^Worth a look^^^
Re: Fairfield - interesting observation [Re: Ben B] #14507013 10/16/22 08:52 PM
P
Phoenix 920 Pro xp Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Overall it was a slow day with 10 in the boat and another 5 or so missed. Fished 9-3 and tried the usual stuff…oddly enough the only thing I could get bit on was top water, however bites came all throughout the day.

I fished mainly around the grass which is almost totally dead at this point - which I hadn’t really planned but with the wind up a bit I decided the check out areas that might have bait fish pushed into them. Sure enough, just about every area I was in had bait in or around the dead grass. But like I said…the bass were hard to come by. I would have thought that was due to low oxygen with the dying grass - but wouldn’t that effect the shad too? I also noticed the ones I did catch were INCREDIBLY skinny. For instance, I caught one that was pushing 22” but weighed it - and it only went 3.27!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on this at all? Why there were bait fish in these areas but few bass? Why the bass looked like they were starving?

And by the way…the south ramp is horrible with the low water level right now. Haven’t been out there when it’s that low and I won’t launch there again until we get rain. Ramp is uneven and drops off - put on quite a show for the guys fishing at the dock before I was finally able to get the boat to sit right on the trailer…

i was out there thursday also and it sucked. grass is definitely dying off but i didnt have any trouble with the ramp

Re: Fairfield - interesting observation [Re: skeeterfan] #14507663 10/17/22 04:42 AM
R
RPD Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted by skeeterfan
I went last Wed and Thursday. Blue Bird skies and no wind. Caught 10 total on Wednesday. Thursday a.m. was a different day. Still blue bird and no wind but the fish were active. I caught 25 up to 6.5 lbs by 11:00 am. There was equipment on the shore mowing down the cattails and reeds. They were using a small excavator with a shredder attachment. I asked one of the ladies at the Ranger station who was doing that and she said it was the Power Company. I wondered why the Seller would be doing that at this point. Maybe the potential Buyer is getting “Cold Feet”? Anyway that is the first time in many years that I have seen the shoreline at FF.

I was out there as well and found it quiet interesting that the excavators were cutting the cattails and reeds. I don't believe the power company was doing it as I asked one of the guys on an excavator and he said they were hired to cut it down, yet he didn't know the company's name that hired them. One of the main lake points that was solid reeds and cattails is now completely bare. Not sure how long or how much cutting they are going to do, but they are giving Fairfield a makeover.

Re: Fairfield - interesting observation [Re: RPD] #14507876 10/17/22 02:26 PM
B
Ben B Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Originally Posted by RPD
Originally Posted by skeeterfan

I was out there as well and found it quiet interesting that the excavators were cutting the cattails and reeds. I don't believe the power company was doing it as I asked one of the guys on an excavator and he said they were hired to cut it down, yet he didn't know the company's name that hired them. One of the main lake points that was solid reeds and cattails is now completely bare. Not sure how long or how much cutting they are going to do, but they are giving Fairfield a makeover.

I observed this as well. Whatever is going on it does not appear to be a good sign for the future of fishing. I may ask the attendants at the front again about the landscaping that is going on next time I'm there.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide