texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,030
TexDawg 119,792
Bigbob_FTW 95,334
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,490
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,919
Posts13,955,360
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
A little circle hook hooky #14491012 09/28/22 08:03 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
We are getting super busy at work. I have been starting to travel more again. Not like pre-covid but more than I'd like. Anyway. I had a day today without any calls or meetings so I went to the lake. No bait in the marina had to go looking for it. Found some by the island point first throw was pretty good, second throw... the net didn't come back. If you had a crappie condo down there is has a new dress on...

Anyway, I had 4 skipjack and 5 big gizzards. Time to go fishing. Started east side, no bueno. Spot number 1 was no good, spot number 2, looked okay. But the dinks were shredding baits again. Left that spot for spot 3. Scanned it, nothing worth throwing baits at. Spot 4, suspended over some marks with spot lock, couple nibbles and that was it. Spot 5, caught a couple dinks and one eater. Spot 6, finally found some fish that would eat. Ran that drift from South to North and had 2 good fish right off the bat. one about 10 and one about 15. Few minutes later a 25. Couple more teeners after that and then a 20 and a 15 for a double to finish the drift and the day. It is a stick and move pattern. When I got into the active fish, they were aggressively biting. Turned out to be a decent day. Ended up with just shy of 120 pounds. Tough bite most of the morning but once I found them, it was on.

God Bless and Tight Lines

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: A little circle hook hooky [Re: Catfish Tim] #14491070 09/28/22 08:56 PM
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
thumb sounds like a solid day

1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: A little circle hook hooky [Re: Catfish Tim] #14491120 09/28/22 10:01 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Sounds like a good day to me.

Hopefully the bite will warm up when the RAIN comes....

"If you had a crappie condo down there is has a new dress on..." That's funny, but the $$$$ lost on another net, not so much.

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 09/28/22 10:02 PM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: A little circle hook hooky [Re: Catfish Tim] #14491349 09/29/22 02:13 AM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I am quite fond of my cast net, I do have that fear of loosing mine. I have talked to some that have. Stick ups are the worse, then some areas with rocks. Touchy-feely thing we play there. I bought my net at Boca Grande, Florida years ago and it's a really great net that these guys make there. Boca Grande pass is one of my all time favorite places to fish, I am sure lots of that area is blown away now after the Ian storm has ripped through there...

Tim, those guys I bought my net from there, told me that they sold one to one of the local guides and he had waited a long time to be able to buy one of their nets, as they are not cheap. All the best bait spots there are out by certain
channel markers, they have smooth bottoms and not so much rock and sticks to foil up the nets.

This guy throwing his net for bait early one morning with clients on his boat, seems if Dolphin like the bait spots also, that guide got his cast net over one and it went nuts. It was a heck of a story of how the guides customers picked him up with his on boat once he got his hand free of the net.

They replaced the net for free of course, I bet that guy was snatched off the bow of his boat so fast he didn't even get a gasp of air, it was probably more like Bob calls it potty mouth stuff coming out and lots of Charlotte's harbor water going in every Orifice hole in his body. It's a wonder that Dolphin didn't take his arm off at the shoulder. They told me they do have that happen several times a year with the Dolphin and Manatees down there. They said the Manatee are just the right place, wrong time, they are not after the bait.

They do have some serious bait there though, you do need to know where and when but they are beautiful bait and the pelagic's, they are awesome and all have teeth, except for the Tarpon. You sure just don't lip those fish in the boat lol.

So , I just thought I would share that to make you feel better about losing the net. They told me that, I am certain to help me with the time frame I had to wait to get one of their nets and the customer support they do provide on the product. Didn't really matter so much for me since I live here in Texas, just knew I wanted one of their hand made nets. Sure sounded to me that guide must swim really good, or walk on water, to have been able to live through that one. Those Dolphin are smart and nothing but strong swimmers. LOL

Re: A little circle hook hooky [Re: Catfish Tim] #14491466 09/29/22 11:11 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Rowdy, I have a cast net curse or something. I lose at least a couple a year. And it's not like I'm throwing them on rocks or anything. Yesterday, I was in what I thought was open water with a flat sandy bottom. I chalk it up to the price of doing business...

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: A little circle hook hooky [Re: Catfish Tim] #14491476 09/29/22 11:30 AM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Well, that is a good way to see it Tim. Makes the rest of that day better also... I have seen some new nets that have the chain around it for the lead weights, you try/use one of these? I have only seen them online, never talked to anyone that has thrown one.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide