texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Half Past First Cast, JRB1129, russellslure, Kins.G, croppiepredater
117619 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 110,982
hopalong 108,611
Bigbob_FTW 84,623
John175☮ 83,072
Pilothawk 82,435
Derek 🐝 67,858
JDavis7873 67,414
Mark Perry 67,140
Bob Davis 61,168
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics1,146,079
Posts15,634,210
Members142,619
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? #14490454 09/28/22 09:34 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 629
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 629
I always wonder when I see those two individual categories also not included with white and yellow perch. I use the same lures and presentations for all of them.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 09/28/22 09:38 AM.
Re: Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? [Re: SenkoSam] #14490726 09/28/22 02:51 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,335
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
G
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,335
I do too!


https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? [Re: SenkoSam] #14490861 09/28/22 05:01 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,204
CHAMPION FISH Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,204
I would think so



" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Re: Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? [Re: gar1970] #14490907 09/28/22 05:34 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,877
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,877
Originally Posted by gar1970
I do too!


You always use the same lures,..!!
woot

Re: Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? [Re: JIM SR.] #14490945 09/28/22 06:29 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,335
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
G
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,335
Originally Posted by JIM SR.
Originally Posted by gar1970
I do too!


You always use the same lures,..!!
woot

I use JIGLYF jigs because they catch anything that swims hooked 36 different species of fish caught using them https://www.jiglyf.com/species-caught-1


Last edited by gar1970; 09/28/22 06:38 PM.

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? [Re: SenkoSam] #14492368 09/30/22 02:14 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 629
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 629
Quote
I use JIGLYF jigs because they catch anything that swims


That's key to good lure design: that lures with the right combination of size and action are struck by many species. The lures I post on TF.comn have that ability, catching 7.5 lb catfish down to the smallest 5" bass.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 09/30/22 02:16 PM.
Re: Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? [Re: SenkoSam] #14492476 09/30/22 03:50 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,046
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
M
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,046
We don’t have white and yellow perch here in texas, probably why you don’t see anything mentioned about it.

Re: Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #14493330 10/01/22 06:38 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,708
J
Jon Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,708
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
We don’t have white and yellow perch here in texas, probably why you don’t see anything mentioned about it.



Originally Posted by GoldenEye
Originally Posted by Smithaven

[Linked Image]
Does anyone know of a lake in Texas where one can catch yellow perch?

I mean true perch, not sunfish.

TPWD last stocked yellow perch in 1997, and I wonder if any of the lakes reached sustainable populations.


I wish we had them down here as well. The Yellow Perch that were stocked in Texas years ago were the northern strain of Yellow Perch stocked by the TPWD in a few of the panhandle lakes. It's my understanding that very few still remain in these lakes.

There is a southern strain of Yellow Perch that exist in the Carolina's, Georgia, Alabama, and even in the Chipola River and Dead Lakes of Florida that is more tolerant of warmer waters. Who knows why TPWD hasn't experimented with this strain of Yellow Perch? I know there are plenty of lakes in Texas that are deep enough to provide cooler water for this strain of Yellow Perch to exist, persist, and possibly even thrive through the warmer summer months.These fish might provide a great winter time fishery here in Texas.

If they did ever establish a reproducing population of Yellow Perch in Texas, what would Texans call them? Hmmm? I know, maybe Sunfish? LOl!


I sure wish we did have yellow perch. I first caught and ate them at Eagle Nest, NM a few years ago and those things are tasty!!
To my taste, they are better than bluegill, and equal or better than crappie. They are in my top 3 for sure for being tasty.
I'm going to take a stab at getting TPWD to consider trying a stocking of that southern strain that GoldenEye posted about years ago.

Re: Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? [Re: SenkoSam] #14493974 10/02/22 07:14 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 629
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 629
Quote
To my taste, they are better than bluegill, and equal or better than crappie. They are in my top 3 for sure for being tasty.


How do they compare to bass and catfish.? The cats I caught in the waters around Wichita Fall, TX were excellent eating! Wasn't too impressed with LM...

Re: Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? [Re: SenkoSam] #14494227 10/03/22 12:36 AM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,758
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
G
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,758
I have always heard yellow perch were good eating. Walleye are great also.

Re: Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? [Re: SenkoSam] #14496267 10/05/22 03:18 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,579
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,579
Originally Posted by SenkoSam
Quote
To my taste, they are better than bluegill, and equal or better than crappie. They are in my top 3 for sure for being tasty.


How do they compare to bass and catfish.? The cats I caught in the waters around Wichita Fall, TX were excellent eating! Wasn't too impressed with LM...

There is no Comparison in my opinion. Their meat is firm,flaky & Sweet tasting! [Linked Image]This is a TRUE "PERCH"!! Blue Gills,Red ears,Greenies & even BASS are SUNFISH! Any Questions?

Last edited by Fishbonz; 10/05/22 02:44 PM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Don't crappie and other panfish fish the same?? [Re: Jon] #14496308 10/05/22 06:00 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,046
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
M
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,046
Originally Posted by Jon
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
We don’t have white and yellow perch here in texas, probably why you don’t see anything mentioned about it.



Originally Posted by GoldenEye
Originally Posted by Smithaven

[Linked Image]
Does anyone know of a lake in Texas where one can catch yellow perch?

I mean true perch, not sunfish.

TPWD last stocked yellow perch in 1997, and I wonder if any of the lakes reached sustainable populations.


I wish we had them down here as well. The Yellow Perch that were stocked in Texas years ago were the northern strain of Yellow Perch stocked by the TPWD in a few of the panhandle lakes. It's my understanding that very few still remain in these lakes.

There is a southern strain of Yellow Perch that exist in the Carolina's, Georgia, Alabama, and even in the Chipola River and Dead Lakes of Florida that is more tolerant of warmer waters. Who knows why TPWD hasn't experimented with this strain of Yellow Perch? I know there are plenty of lakes in Texas that are deep enough to provide cooler water for this strain of Yellow Perch to exist, persist, and possibly even thrive through the warmer summer months.These fish might provide a great winter time fishery here in Texas.

If they did ever establish a reproducing population of Yellow Perch in Texas, what would Texans call them? Hmmm? I know, maybe Sunfish? LOl!


I sure wish we did have yellow perch. I first caught and ate them at Eagle Nest, NM a few years ago and those things are tasty!!
To my taste, they are better than bluegill, and equal or better than crappie. They are in my top 3 for sure for being tasty.
I'm going to take a stab at getting TPWD to consider trying a stocking of that southern strain that GoldenEye posted about years ago.

I think Meredith had them until it got incredibly low, at least it shows in the record books. I can imagine they’re better than crappie, I know walleye, sauger, and saugeye are from personal experience and they’re all true perch.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3