Print Thread
What should I have done ? #14488842 09/26/22 06:54 PM
M
Mo Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
M
On my last trip , on several of my spots , I had schools of fish suspended over my brushpiles. 3-4 ft above. I pitched to them over and over,
caught one nice one and one throwback. When I first saw them, I had suspected I was seeing yellow bass , but I did catch the two crappie out of the schools I was seeing.

I tried several colors and a couple of sized ( medium and small) . Usually when I see fish over the piles , they are active and aggressive,
Not on this trip.

Ideas ?

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: What should I have done ? [Re: Mo] #14488888 09/26/22 07:21 PM
R
Ron Douthit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I've seen this several times this year and with a couple of exceptions they turned out to be either undersized crappie or brim like the one below ... no way to know for sure without finding a way to catch them. What should you do ? In my opinion, just move on to another spot after concluding that they weren't consistently biting what you were offering. BUT, that's just my opinion. That's what I concluded after air hook setting so many time that my shoulder got sore until I snagged the brim smile
[Linked Image]

Re: What should I have done ? [Re: Mo] #14489322 09/27/22 01:09 AM
C
CoachTod Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Mo, one thought ... I would see this situation throughout the Summer. Since I started using Livescope, I would back off from the pile and take my dock shooting rod that had a 1/32 oz jig on and shoot to the fish. Using Livescope, I could hop it right across the top and the fish would hammer it. Usually, it school of smaller black crappie that I was seeing.

Hope this helps!

Re: What should I have done ? [Re: Mo] #14489459 09/27/22 02:42 AM
N
NTX Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
I have seen the same. In my case it's perch and small bass. Mixed with small crappie and a few sandbass. I never really try to catch them. They will grab my bait from time to time on the way down.

Re: What should I have done ? [Re: Mo] #14489626 09/27/22 01:02 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Mo
On my last trip , on several of my spots , I had schools of fish suspended over my brushpiles. 3-4 ft above. I pitched to them over and over,
caught one nice one and one throwback. When I first saw them, I had suspected I was seeing yellow bass , but I did catch the two crappie out of the schools I was seeing.

I tried several colors and a couple of sized ( medium and small) . Usually when I see fish over the piles , they are active and aggressive,
Not on this trip.

Ideas ?

MO

Live bait will turn them around quickly if available .

Re: What should I have done ? [Re: Mo] #14489636 09/27/22 01:12 PM
Laner Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
In a situation like that, I usually just leave to go find more aggressive fish. Today’s electronics can make fishing incredibly frustrating, as we can now see exactly what we’re missing. Should I stick around, and all I have on the boat are jigs, I’ll use the smallest I can find. If I have minnows, I might cut one up in small pieces, and sprinkle the pieces over the school. More times than not though, I’ll just pick off the 1-2 aggressive fish, and move on down the road.

It’s not uncommon for me to swing back by that same spot later in the day to see if they have a change in their attitude.

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: What should I have done ? [Re: Mo] #14490450 09/28/22 09:17 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Agree with moving on. Either the entire school gets turned on by the first fish caught or they stay inactive and suspended.

Of course in the case of vertical jigging, it would have to be in deeper water so as to not spook the fish. Casting small finesse lures on light jigheads iMO can make a difference such as wacky-rigged mini sticks for example which are as finesse as you can get when used with a 1/24 oz jig. Drop it, pause it, and drop it again with rod-tip twitches in between.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Thin tail grubs also have a quivering tail that irritates fish into striking.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SenkoSam; 09/28/22 09:32 AM.
Re: What should I have done ? [Re: Laner] #14490598 09/28/22 01:22 PM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by CoachTod
Mo, one thought ... I would see this situation throughout the Summer. Since I started using Livescope, I would back off from the pile and take my dock shooting rod that had a 1/32 oz jig on and shoot to the fish. Using Livescope, I could hop it right across the top and the fish would hammer it. Usually, it school of smaller black crappie that I was seeing.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by Laner
In a situation like that, I usually just leave to go find more aggressive fish. Today’s electronics can make fishing incredibly frustrating, as we can now see exactly what we’re missing. Should I stick around, and all I have on the boat are jigs, I’ll use the smallest I can find. If I have minnows, I might cut one up in small pieces, and sprinkle the pieces over the school. More times than not though, I’ll just pick off the 1-2 aggressive fish, and move on down the road.

It’s not uncommon for me to swing back by that same spot later in the day to see if they have a change in their attitude.

I like both of those answers!! I'm typically going to keep moving to find aggressive fish but we've had good luck staying off the fish and casting to them as well. Seems like when you get right over them, black crappie especially, they quit biting.
thumb

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide