Forums59
Topics1,039,150
Posts13,960,045
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What line,size and knots, hooks also [Re: Rowdy] #14484606 09/22/22 01:49 AM
R
Rowdy Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Tim,

I do hope to learn what knot it is you use, I have been going to mention that and get all chatty-kathy on all these topics... Glad you did. Now I have used that spay on line conditioner back when I use to spool my reels all the way out with mono and then later when the fluorocarbon hit the screen, it did help with the memory, but I don't know anything about this stuff your talking about. I hope it does help with the pulling dig down as your better off to throw your line out and then pull that out to at least what you cast to.

Now if your trolling or drifting, it not such the problem. But now it really torques me off to throw my bait off like that cause I know better lol. You also touched on something I didn't above, that's the Santee Copper rig with the peg float. I love that idea to help keep my bait up off the bottom. I have had my live bait just literally drown from the weight of the hook dragging them through the sand and mud. I have been using my old and beat up Zara Spook top water baits, which does help and does have a rattle and some of the painted finish still on them if that would help the whiskers on the prey we seek find my morsel of protein for them lol. When I use the bigger hooks with bigger bait I have had to use two of these together to keep the bait up.

I do have some cone shaped peg floats and I thing maybe those put on backwards with the smaller end up might be much better than my spooks with all the hooks removed. I really do look forward to trying it and thanks for sharing that. You also mentioned the sinker protection, I have some of the small yellow knot protectors that I use if the sinker is rigged where it slides up and down the line any.

Now we're at that freaking knot your using, A few days ago I posted a app that has all sorts of knots you scroll drown from the categories of fishing styles and you will come to an area of quite a few listed by name knots. You click on these of course and first it shows you the diagram or road map if how that knot stacks out, scroll down a little more and it's got the automated view with the stack out of the knot running. I have yet to hear of any knot that is not there.

Did you try that app? I really get into the knots, one for instance I like when I go saltwater fishing is the FG knot. It is mainly for splice to lines together, I have tried it with casting and pitching artificial baits and it starts to unravel itself somewhat. I like it because it's a longer wrapped line to line splice, Offshore its not really a problem., but then what I usually do anymore is use a blood knot and do about double the stacked loops on each side to make it longer. Goes through the rod guides better for me like that. Problem is when you start to pull all these stacks up and the standing line. It is a pita, but if you spit on it first then as you pull on it you start rolling between your thumb and index finger and keep doing that till you get each side of the blood knot just snug. Then I use my hammer handle to pull the knot tight and then cut the tag ends off . I do cut these tag ends close since they go through the rod guides...

Anyway you have got to search through those knots on that app to see if your knot is there. Now there are more than a few knots that do have different names and are exactly the same knot. You will see those if you look through the stack out of each of the knots. Man I am going to hang this out here, you have got to find this knot, it's going to be huge lol...

Now everyone here needs to know I at times just sit around tying and testing the different knots and with mono vs the fluorocarbon since it's a more robust line with its attributes. Plus the fluorocarbon is harder to tie usually, most often it's the right end or ends you use to pull the knot up with and to make sure you spit on it.

But really I have tied or tried to tie every knot on this app.

fishing knots

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: What line,size and knots, hooks also [Re: Rowdy] #14484610 09/22/22 01:54 AM
R
Rowdy Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Hookatoad what do you mean by Bob being wrong? You want to flame, or you don't like to fish lol all kidding aside, what's up man Hang it out please sir

Re: What line,size and knots, hooks also [Re: Rowdy] #14484711 09/22/22 04:55 AM
H
HookaToad Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
H
Originally Posted by Rowdy
Hookatoad what do you mean by Bob being wrong? You want to flame, or you don't like to fish lol all kidding aside, what's up man Hang it out please sir

Geez it was just a little tongue in cheek.....lighten up....maybe you have tied too many knots....

Good Fishing and God Bless

โ€œIโ€™d rather be a failure at something I enjoy than to be a success at something I hateโ€

Re: What line,size and knots, hooks also [Re: Rowdy] #14484729 09/22/22 08:48 AM
R
Rowdy Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Oh, I have tied way way to many man lol. Now just the mentioning of knots, I wanted to try something here and see how or if I can get this on here. This first knot is what I tend to use more than not on my mono and fluorocarbon. I really like the double wrap of the line through whatever eye your tying on or tying to. Now this being on line weight to 30#...
Rule of thumb I have come into the smaller the line the more wraps to a point anyway. The larger line you will need to use less wraps to just get the knot to snug up and then be able to work the bigger line to tighten up completely. This knot calls for 5 to 6 wraps around the standing line. I have been messing with more wraps here lately, I am not fishing with these yet, just messing around at the house with these and then pulling them to see how and where they break is all.
Fishing this knot goes down just like on this hyperlink.

Trilene knot

This next knot I wanted to tack up here is one of the line to line splice knots I use, it's not the only one, just one I prefer for most line to line ties. One thing that really does need to be considered is if the two lines are more than a little different in line diameter. Some of the line splice knots are better than others for bigger swing in the different diameters. You get way off from one side of the splice to the other there are those knots that make those splices much better. Here is the blood knot

blood knot

This next line to line splice knot is the one I throw on when the actual line diameters are not close at all. The blood knot, heck I use it on 30# or less fluorocarbon to 50# braid or smaller. Now I get out any fluorocarbon out larger than 30# and I need to splice it to my main line braid which is always smaller, the Albright knot is where I turn to. It's relatively easy to tie. It's a rock star when trying to get two lines of vast unequal diameters spliced together.

Albright knot

Last edited by Rowdy; 09/22/22 10:36 AM.
Re: What line,size and knots, hooks also [Re: Rowdy] #14484755 09/22/22 11:19 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Rowdy, the closest I can find in the list is the Centauri knot. I tie it exactly the same as the knot shown with one exception, I only do two loops. The diagram shows four. It has never let me down. I have looked and looked for this knot. I went back and watched all the Catfish and Carp knot tying videos and couldn't find it. Watch Steve Douglas videos from way back when and nothing. The Cetauri in the link you shared is the same method just more loops. So I'm gonna name it the Catfish Tim Modified Centauri Knot!

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Re: What line,size and knots, hooks also [Re: Rowdy] #14484790 09/22/22 12:18 PM
R
Rowdy Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Tim,
Alrighty now we are cooking lol. I like that knot, I will admit I will be messing around with it some. By that I mean I want to try running the line through the eye twice and then make this knot. The big thing I have ran into trying to put two wraps through the eye comes in when you go to pull the knot snug. Right there is where I have a hard time with just about any knot that I want to double the line through the hook eye or swivel.

Sure there are several knots that double the line through the eye, I use some of them, there is just something I like the looks of better than others that doesn't have the line doubled through the knot. If you haven't figured it out I have this thing about the eye getting double line through the eye lol.
Man I got several books with knots in them, I will look through some of those and see if I see anything like this with just a couple of wraps around the standing line. But regardless the Catfish Tim Centauri version knot sounds awesome to me.

Re: What line,size and knots, hooks also [Re: Rowdy] #14484969 09/22/22 03:06 PM
H
HookaToad Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
H
Okay this thread has convinced me that I need to tie a hangmans noose... hung

Good Fishing and God Bless

โ€œIโ€™d rather be a failure at something I enjoy than to be a success at something I hateโ€

Re: What line,size and knots, hooks also [Re: Rowdy] #14485119 09/22/22 05:42 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
roflmao

Yeah, I laughed out loud when you said 'you are wrong'.

Love it!

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 09/22/22 05:44 PM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: What line,size and knots, hooks also [Re: Rowdy] #14485277 09/22/22 08:55 PM
R
Rowdy Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Bob, I just thought he really didn't like fishing lol.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide