Possum Kingdom Striper Recommendations #14484288 09/21/22 07:58 PM
D
dth01a Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Hey folks -

My son has asked to fish Possum Kingdom for striper for his birthday. I’m a largemouth guy and don’t really know what I’m doing. Thinking we’re going to try and catch some live bait and drop on top of fish we graph. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to hunt striper at PK this weekend? Thanks for any help in advance.

Re: Possum Kingdom Striper Recommendations [Re: dth01a] #14484380 09/21/22 09:36 PM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Tree tops

Re: Possum Kingdom Striper Recommendations [Re: dth01a] #14484506 09/21/22 11:47 PM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
This time of year try from the peanut patch, and then back around to Broadway, watch for the birds, troll with some deep diving red fins, back and forth, when you find them drop some spoons. And keep a top water ready and on stand by.

Re: Possum Kingdom Striper Recommendations [Re: dth01a] #14484807 09/22/22 12:47 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Not knowing the lake is a huge caveat .The anglers catching any fish now are trolling and trolling early in the southern most areas of the lake. Live bait can be difficult to find and the areas to set up change often. Some top water activity at the dam is sporadic, Zara spooks have produced along with Red fins. Flutter spoons are deadly over tree tops to around 9:30 am. Get on line and down load the PK map from navionics.com and learn the break lines in the Johnson Bend areas south.

Re: Possum Kingdom Striper Recommendations [Re: dth01a] #14485100 09/22/22 05:09 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Don't listen to that fellow talking about trolling lures unless you plan on leaving a whole lot of them at PK. The cedar trees in that lake are everywhere and will not give your lure back. lake is down a bit and they are going to be in the way of trolling. I used to troll PK, as that was a great way to catch stripers at Texoma. PK is not like Texoma. if you are going to troll, you best drive over the area first and make sure it's clear of trees.

I have not been catching many stripers at PK recently. The ones I have been catching have not been keepers. Even the green lights on gains bend have been devoid of them. Been catching mostly LM Bass and Big perch, on shiners and perch I catch in the lake. if you want to catch perch look for the Hydrilla patches in the coves by the dam. Those are chock full of 2-4 inch perch perfect for bait.

I live above neely slough and there has been no morning or evening white bass activity on the point by the gibsons. This is probably because there's no threadfins in the slough. The bait in the lake have not recovered from the cold that killed the threads. We have gobs of nice gizzard shad and in the past those were excellent bait but the stripers we have now are usually not large enough to take a 8-10 inch gizzard.

Best of luck to you on your fishing trip. If it were me, I would just get a guide that fishes the lake all the time. If you don't fish that lake every day you'll have a hard time figuring it out in a day trip.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Possum Kingdom Striper Recommendations [Re: PKfishin] #14485986 09/23/22 04:41 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by PKfishin
Don't listen to that fellow talking about trolling lures unless you plan on leaving a whole lot of them at PK. The cedar trees in that lake are everywhere and will not give your lure back. lake is down a bit and they are going to be in the way of trolling. I used to troll PK, as that was a great way to catch stripers at Texoma. PK is not like Texoma. if you are going to troll, you best drive over the area first and make sure it's clear of trees.

I have not been catching many stripers at PK recently. The ones I have been catching have not been keepers. Even the green lights on gains bend have been devoid of them. Been catching mostly LM Bass and Big perch, on shiners and perch I catch in the lake. if you want to catch perch look for the Hydrilla patches in the coves by the dam. Those are chock full of 2-4 inch perch perfect for bait.

I live above neely slough and there has been no morning or evening white bass activity on the point by the gibsons. This is probably because there's no threadfins in the slough. The bait in the lake have not recovered from the cold that killed the threads. We have gobs of nice gizzard shad and in the past those were excellent bait but the stripers we have now are usually not large enough to take a 8-10 inch gizzard.

Best of luck to you on your fishing trip. If it were me, I would just get a guide that fishes the lake all the time. If you don't fish that lake every day you'll have a hard time figuring it out in a day trip.

Why are you trying to insult this mans intelligence ? The intel from me is from striper guides making their living on PK. You obviously know nothing with reference to fish being boat spooked ,driving over them twice makes it worse. However, you want someone total your advice, advise from a perch fisherman that can see every area of the dam from his back porch.

WOW!

Re: Possum Kingdom Striper Recommendations [Re: dth01a] #14486548 09/24/22 03:56 AM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I’ve trolled almost the entire lake in different seasons. Yes there are trees everywhere. Most of them top out about 30 ft below the surface unless you get up on shallow flats. Some of those have trees that top out much shallower. If you are pretty certain how deep your lures will run you can usually be able to catch some fish without losing your lures. My last few trips were closer to the dam. We used flutter spoons with great success and captain Mack’s umbrella rigs.
Find a school by trolling single 2 oz jigs or umbrella rigs then spot lock on them and drop flutter spoons to them. Power reel to the surface and be ready for a strike all the way to the surface. Drop and repeat. Good luck sir!

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide