Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,208
Posts13,961,020
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Buddies Since They Were Babies -- 40 Fish, Mepps MAL Dense, 20 Sep. #14483476 09/21/22 12:16 AM
Holding The Line Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
WHO I FISHED WITH: This morning, Tuesday, September 20th, I fished with first time guests Brent Makovy and BJ Brown of Robinson, Texas. The two have been buddies since they were six years old (in Robinson, TX).

BJ retired early, and Brent works for Oncor energy company. The two booked with me on short notice early Monday morning when I had an unexpected opening.

In addition to the fishing, the men were very keen on observing the use of marine electronics (sonar and trolling motor) in the fish-finding process. Rumor has it that following the trip, BJ went out and got him a self-deploying Minn Kota Ulterra trolling motor!!!

We pursued white bass on a shortened morning trip on Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir.

Here is how the fishing went …

[Linked Image]

PHOTO CAPTION: From left: Brent Makovy and BJ Brown with two of the forty fish they took prior to our early wrap up at 10A. We took 31 fish on MAL Dense Lures, and the balance on downrigged Pet Spoons.

[Linked Image]

PHOTO CAPTION: The MAL Dense Lure is tough to beat for this deep water fishing. The only other thing I even have tied on right now are Pet Spoons on a pair of downrigger rods. This lure used with the sawtooth method (see video link below) put most of our fish in the boat today. Find them here: https://whitebasstools.com/

WHERE WE FISHED: Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir

WHEN WE FISHED: Tuesday, 20 September 2022

HOW WE FISHED:

With high pressure weather causing a second summer, today’s conditions were clear, fairly calm, and hot. Although it is a bit uncomfortable to fish in such conditions, these conditions make the fishing very predictable as the fish do the same things at the same times and in the same places so long as the weather holds.

We fished a shortened trip this morning as BJ had limited heat tolerance (and it was plenty hot!). We met at 7:30, got lines in the water by around 7:50, fished until 10A, and still caught 40 fish as they were quite cooperative today.

We fished only one area of perhaps 150 yards in diameter this morning. We started out Spot-Locked on a school of fish, fished them vertically with the MAL Dense Lures until they lost interest and then began casting horizontally using the sawtooth method. We did that until it got uncomfortably hot with about 31 fish landed, and then, to create our own breeze, we wrapped up the trip with a final 25 minutes of downrigging. The downrigging yielded one triple, two doubles, and two singles — 9 fish in all on the ‘riggers.

The ‘riggers were equipped with 3-armed umbrella rigs and #12 Pet Spoons.

TUTORIAL SMOKING VIDEO (Vertical):

TUTORIAL SAWTOOTH VIDEO (Horizontal):

Our tally of 40 fish catch consisted of 1 short white, and 39 legal white bass.

TALLY: 40 fish caught and released

OBSERVATIONS: High pressure is firmly in control of the weather and is forecast to be until at least Sunday (4 more days).

WEATHER DATA:

Start Time: 7:30A

End Time: 10A

Air Temp. @ Trip’s Start: 75F

Elevation: 9.18 feet low, 0.04′ fall in last 24 hours, 1 CFS flow

Water Surface Temp: 82.1F

Wind Speed & Direction: Light SE ripple all morning

Sky Condition: <10% white clouds on a blue sky

Moon Phase: Waning crescent moon at 26% illumination.

GT = 75

Wx SNAPSHOT:

[Linked Image]

AREAS FISHED WITH SUCCESS:

Area vic 1134 – all 40 fish taken w/in ~150 yard diameter area

Area 1425 – scouting after clients’ departure also produced well here

Bob Maindelle

Full-time, Professional Fishing Guide and Owner of Holding the Line Guide Service

Belton Lake Fishing Guide, Stillhouse Hollow Fishing Guide

254.368.7411 (call or text)

E-mail: Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/bobmaindelle

Twitter: www.twitter.com/bobmaindelle

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: Buddies Since They Were Babies -- 40 Fish, Mepps MAL Dense, 20 Sep. [Re: Holding The Line] #14483516 09/21/22 12:53 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Good times! Solid post, good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide