Print Thread
HB 360 #14478141 09/15/22 05:56 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
B
So I have an original 360 that has been used a handful of times due to my trolling motor choice not making it easily usable. It's been in the garage for a few tears and figured a way to mount it and after ordering parts, I took it to the lake at which time it decided to start leaking oil. Not sure where but think it is coming from the top and not the mid seal. My research shows it is a fairly common issue on the old ones. I was going to use it anyway this weekend but when I wired it back up you hear a hum for a second then it stops rotating.

I saw that the cost was $250 for the repair, cash up front. I am a little afraid to invest that much in such old technologyand get the unit back with the leak fixed but still not working and then have to ship back and pay more to fix whatever is wrong if it can be repaired.
The leak just started and it doesn't appear that very much oil has leaked out. Does anyone know how much oil is in them and if enough oil leaking out would prevent it from rotating? It sound like it starts rotating for half a second and a subtle click sound and stops.

Has anyone ever found out what kind of oil is inside and had any success in a DIY repair? I hate to put much money into it when that could go to a new FF and the live technology.

Thanks for any info.

Re: HB 360 [Re: Bobby Milam] #14485721 09/23/22 01:30 PM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam
So I have an original 360 that has been used a handful of times due to my trolling motor choice not making it easily usable. It's been in the garage for a few tears and figured a way to mount it and after ordering parts, I took it to the lake at which time it decided to start leaking oil. Not sure where but think it is coming from the top and not the mid seal. My research shows it is a fairly common issue on the old ones. I was going to use it anyway this weekend but when I wired it back up you hear a hum for a second then it stops rotating.

I saw that the cost was $250 for the repair, cash up front. I am a little afraid to invest that much in such old technologyand get the unit back with the leak fixed but still not working and then have to ship back and pay more to fix whatever is wrong if it can be repaired.
The leak just started and it doesn't appear that very much oil has leaked out. Does anyone know how much oil is in them and if enough oil leaking out would prevent it from rotating? It sound like it starts rotating for half a second and a subtle click sound and stops.

Has anyone ever found out what kind of oil is inside and had any success in a DIY repair? I hate to put much money into it when that could go to a new FF and the live technology.

Thanks for any info.

The pod is full of acoustic oil and has nothing to do with the piezo disk rotating. The oil is the liquid media that the sound pulses go through to the pod housing=same as the sound goes through water to measure distance.
What happens in your case is the seal in the top of the pod where the cables pass though has deteriorated. The one I had did that after about 6 years, I had given it away when I got the MEGA 360 and that person gave it to his brother after he got a MEGA 360. After it starting leaking, Humminbird replaced it with a MEGA 360 for a repair charge==it is still listed in the Repair Fee chart.
You can refill it if you want using Castor Oil or Mineral Oil--the media just has to be one that won't freeze or gel at freezing temps or will damage the electronic parts. Do not know of any successful resealing of the cable gasket has been done.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide