texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: Ben B] #14472387 09/09/22 01:30 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
The irony is that the TPWD private Lake X and their main hatchery lake Athens are full of it.
They know it’s good for water quality and the ecosystem.

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: CCTX] #14472477 09/09/22 02:32 PM
R
RedRaider3933 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted by CCTX
The irony is that the TPWD private Lake X and their main hatchery lake Athens are full of it.
They know it’s good for water quality and the ecosystem.

Yep but the fat checks from HOA's to spray everything in sight are more gooder.

Go Tech
Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: wh2004] #14472508 09/09/22 02:52 PM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by wh2004
Originally Posted by David Burton
Here are some of the lesser-known ones that I am aware of with fishable hydrilla.
Bridgeport, Martin Creek, PK (SOMEWHERE, or so we are told), Brownwood, Ray Hubbard, Athens

Obvious Ones:
Welsh
Davy Crockett
Monticello (good luck getting to it)

Possible hit-or-miss:
Ray Hubbard (yeah, on two lists - it's all about LOCATION)
Fork
Bob Sandlin

AND SO ON...

Never seen It in Bridgeport or PK. If someone knows where it’s at and wants to help a poor soul out please pm me.

It was above (or is that below) the bridge. Some in the south marina at one point too. It has, however, been a few years since I fished above/below the bridge, so it could be gone. But it was pretty down there and in those artificial cuts!

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: Ben B] #14472513 09/09/22 02:58 PM
B
Ben B Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
I'm not that educated on matters like this...but I don't understand how an HOA can legally spray grass - or touch anything really - that is in a public body of water. Or pay for this to be done. We say all the time to dock owners that harass us fishing around their dock "you don't own the water" - so how is it they can do this and not face serious legal consequences?

Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: Ben B] #14472535 09/09/22 03:26 PM
ssmith Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
when you spend a ton of money on a lakefront home an spend more money on a nice dock you would not want it to be covered up water weeds the folks wit the investment win this battle.

Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: David Burton] #14472550 09/09/22 03:41 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by wh2004
Here are some of the lesser-known ones that I am aware of with fishable hydrilla.
Bridgeport, Martin Creek, PK (SOMEWHERE, or so we are told), Brownwood, Ray Hubbard, Athens

Obvious Ones:
Welsh
Davy Crockett
Monticello (good luck getting to it)

Possible hit-or-miss:
Ray Hubbard (yeah, on two lists - it's all about LOCATION)
Fork
Bob Sandlin

AND SO ON...

Never seen It in Bridgeport or PK. If someone knows where it’s at and wants to help a poor soul out please pm me.

It was above (or is that below) the bridge. Some in the south marina at one point too. It has, however, been a few years since I fished above/below the bridge, so it could be gone. But it was pretty down there and in those artificial cuts!

Oh yeah, I actually do remember It in the Marina at runaway bay. It’s long gone.

Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: Ben B] #14472554 09/09/22 03:44 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
I believe they first have to acquire a permit from TPWD to do so.

TPWD’s own literature and resources repeatedly discuss a healthy balance and consistently point to a 30-35% water coverage of hydrilla as ideal in most lakes.

However, the underestimation of grass carp appetite and carpet bombing by outsourced third parties often results in not just near complete loss of hydrilla, but near complete loss of native vegetation (pond weed, Texas wild rice, stargrass, etc). When a lake loses its vegetation, the shoreline soil erosion and degradation of water quality are devastating. What happened to Conroe in the 80s, Purtis Creek in the 90s, and Murvaul in the 2000s were environmental tragedies.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: ssmith] #14472586 09/09/22 04:20 PM
B
Ben B Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Originally Posted by ssmith
when you spend a ton of money on a lakefront home an spend more money on a nice dock you would not want it to be covered up water weeds the folks wit the investment win this battle.

I hear what you're saying...but by that logic the fishing community could make the argument that the investments we have made in our equipment - as well as the natural resources that our funds go towards managing - are no different. I realize the price of a lakefront home vs a boat/tackle is drastically different - but if we are talking about rights here, I don't understand how homeowners' rights take priority.

But I get what you're saying - money talks. And that's the problem...

Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: CCTX] #14472589 09/09/22 04:23 PM
B
Ben B Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B

TPWD’s own literature and resources repeatedly discuss a healthy balance and consistently point to a 30-35% water coverage of hydrilla as ideal in most lakes.

However, the underestimation of grass carp appetite and carpet bombing by outsourced third parties often results in not just near complete loss of hydrilla, but near complete loss of native vegetation (pond weed, Texas wild rice, stargrass, etc). When a lake loses its vegetation, the shoreline soil erosion and degradation of water quality are devastating. What happened to Conroe in the 80s, Purtis Creek in the 90s, and Murvaul in the 2000s were environmental tragedies.

If the TPWD is handing out permits for the express purpose of removing native vegetation from our lakes...I can't think of a more antithetical action an organization could do. It's like a prison handing out permits to allow crimes to be committed. The irony...

Last edited by Ben B; 09/09/22 04:24 PM.
Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: Ben B] #14472603 09/09/22 04:37 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
[Linked Image]

They cut it instead of poisoning it up north on the Mississippi... saw this guy cutting a swath to main boat channel. Seems like the way to make everyone happy unless the cost is prohibitive. Does anyone do that around here? Cost? Downside?

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: Ben B] #14472606 09/09/22 04:39 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Ben B

If the TPWD is handing out permits for the express purpose of removing native vegetation from our lakes...I can't think of a more antithetical action an organization could do. It's like a prison handing out permits to allow crimes to be committed. The irony...

They're not "handing out permits for the express purpose of removing native vegetation" . The extinguishment of native vegetation is a by-product of the eradication of the invasive, non-native hydrilla. It is collateral damage from a bad educated guess on grass carp stocking and/or spraying. Sucks, but that is the way it works.

Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: Walls] #14472608 09/09/22 04:42 PM
B
Ben B Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Originally Posted by Walls
Originally Posted by Ben B

They're not "handing out permits for the express purpose of removing native vegetation" . The extinguishment of native vegetation is a by-product of the eradication of the invasive, non-native hydrilla. It is collateral damage from a bad educated guess on grass carp stocking and/or spraying. Sucks, but that is the way it works.

I believe it...

Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: lconn4] #14472615 09/09/22 04:49 PM
H
Hookem Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
Originally Posted by lconn4
[Linked Image]

They cut it instead of poisoning it up north on the Mississippi... saw this guy cutting a swath to main boat channel. Seems like the way to make everyone happy unless the cost is prohibitive. Does anyone do that around here? Cost? Downside?

That is what they used to use quite a few years ago on Bastrop. Piled up the cut stuff on shore. Stunk.
Now, they spray.

Thankfully, Austin looks like it may have some grass growing in places.

Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: barryfish] #14472827 09/09/22 07:27 PM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by barryfish
Ray Hubbard? Lol I think alot of people get coontail and milfoil confused with hydrilla

Yes they do. Some call all submerged veg Hydrilla as well. There was some mixed in, but you're right most of the submerged is coontail up the river!

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Hydrilla lakes [Re: coachallentca] #14473148 09/10/22 01:37 AM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by barryfish
Lost creek
Hubbard creek
Fairfield

Originally Posted by coachallentca
Originally Posted by Poodle
Not in Hubbard Creek TPW took care of that.

is there still some in hubbard creek.. You just have to find it.

Not sure the last time you were there. It is still disappearing and the places that had quite a bit in July now have very little.
The spot that had the most on the lake then about all gone. I guess whatever they sprayed keeps working for a long time.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide