Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Crappie, Experimental Rigs and Deep Sea Fishing #14464326 08/31/22 06:39 PM
Laner Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I hope everyone is having a good week so far. I got back from the Gulf last weekend, and have since been able to enjoy a few days on freshwater. I'll be heading back down for one more stint in the saltwater starting on 9/15, and look to be coming back home in early October. You know I'm not going to miss my favorite time of year to be a freshwater guide: FALL CRAPPIE FISHING! Below is a general idea of how we caught our crappie over the last week, plus a few pics from the deep blue sea just for grins.

Water Temps: 83-86
Water Conditions: Stained (incredibly thankful to see some rain around here)
Best Depth: 10-18ft
Favorite Rods: 8ft Epic and 9ft Hot Rod from Todd Huckabee Rods
Favorite Reel: Pflueger President and/or Shimano Sahara
Favorite Line: 8lb Wally Marshall HI-Vis mono
Best Bait Right Now: Live Minnows on a gold Aberdeen hook, roughly 18" above a Slab Syndicate Hand Tied Jig
Best Piece of Advice: Don't let big numbers of fish on your graph keep you in one spot for too long.

When you're making 30-40 mile runs across the Gulf, there is no shortage of time to think. On one of my latest voyages, I thought to myself "hey self, what if the next time you go crappie fishing, you put a hair jig at the bottom of the line, with a minnow above it. Just tie the jig at the bottom, and make a loop knot about 18" above the hand tie. Gold Aberdeen hook. You would eliminate the need for a split shot weight, and it would give the fish two completely different looks. It might not work out well in really heavy brush applications, but I bet that minnow would swim the jig around, might even stick a few doubles." After that, I probably saw a flying fish or a dolphin, and went on thinking about something else. Fast Forward to this past week, and I finally got to put this idea in action.

As I had hoped, this new rig put fish in the boat. I only had one customer stick a double, as most fish would choose either the tiny little hand tied option, or the live minnow. One thing I did like about it was that the minnow was always off the bottom, as the weight touched down first. This helped keep the minnows from getting hung up less, and eliminated the "how many turns up should we be" problem that sometime occurs with the split shot being above the minnow. I was also pleased with how the minnow made the jig "dance" on LiveScope. The customer would simply hold the rod dead still, and the minnow would do all the work. Although I've only had folks use this particular arrangement a few times now, I didn't see any difference in preference, when it came to the jigs and minnows. Half the fish ate the jig, while the other half preferred live bait.

The overall bite right now is consistent with what we usually see during the later parts of summer. The crappie are preferring a bait that's moving slow, or not moving at all. They have been hitting it when the angler is holding the rod completely still, or while lowering their bait at a painstakingly slow speed. I have not seen a crappie hit anything that has been pitched out; that will change as water temps start to drop. I am also seeing very large schools of fish, with only 1-3 aggressive fish wanting to play at each stop. It's hard not to take it personally when there's 50-60 fish on a pile, and only 3 come in the boat. Just move on. I see it every year around this time, and all I can say is just keep moving.

I have some weekday mornings left open in October, and RD has Saturday 8th and 29th if anyone wants to hop on those. The dude has absolutely been killing it this year, if you haven't seen our Facebook and Instagram accounts. You can call/text me directly at 817-266-9811, or simply visit us online at www.dfwoutdoors.com to book a trip with us. There is no such thing as self-made, and I wouldn't be where I am today without the TFF and these folks right here:

www.shut-up-and-fish.com
www.sscrappiejigs.com
www.toddhuckabeerods.com
www.bluewaveboats.com
Mad Crappie Jigs
www.constantpursuitoutfitters.com

Laugh all you want, but after spending two days with the Cobb family, that pink Zebco probably put double the amount of fish in the boat than anyone else.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That guy on the left is a hero. Ex Marine sniper who wanted to learn a few things about crappie fishing. It was an honor and a pleasure to have him on my boat.
[Linked Image]

I love fall colors.
[Linked Image]

And now, some deep sea fun.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And that one day we had off because it was storming too bad offshore, well, RD and I went fishing in the surf! That's my new personal best speckled trout.
[Linked Image]

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: Hey Friends - Crappie, Experimental Rigs and Deep Sea Fishing [Re: Laner] #14464531 08/31/22 09:36 PM
J
Jezreel Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
Holy Mackerel! ! ! That was a great report. And Fantastic pics.

Thanks Laner! ! !

Re: Hey Friends - Crappie, Experimental Rigs and Deep Sea Fishing [Re: Laner] #14464747 09/01/22 01:20 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Awesome snapper thumb

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Hey Friends - Crappie, Experimental Rigs and Deep Sea Fishing [Re: Laner] #14464810 09/01/22 03:00 AM
Whaler-170 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
As always a awesome report!!!

Re: Hey Friends - Crappie, Experimental Rigs and Deep Sea Fishing [Re: Laner] #14465152 09/01/22 03:48 PM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
That's good stuff buddy!!! I like them minnow and jig trick! thumb

I'm jealous of the snapper! We didn't get to the beach this year and I'm about out of last years snapper. Stocked up on some Chubbies from Frank at Lakeside Lure and Tackle earlier this week. White Hot has been getting it done lately on Palestine!

Safe travels!

Slew fish

Re: Hey Friends - Crappie, Experimental Rigs and Deep Sea Fishing [Re: Laner] #14468780 09/05/22 05:26 PM
C
Crappie Ford Man Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Enjoyed the report and especially the tips. I appreciate it.

Re: Hey Friends - Crappie, Experimental Rigs and Deep Sea Fishing [Re: Laner] #14468877 09/05/22 07:31 PM
F
F4 Gator Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Great report & pictures! thumb

[Linked Image]

Phormer Phantom Phlyer
Re: Hey Friends - Crappie, Experimental Rigs and Deep Sea Fishing [Re: Laner] #14468986 09/05/22 10:31 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Solid post and fish. Good job Sir! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Hey Friends - Crappie, Experimental Rigs and Deep Sea Fishing [Re: Laner] #14469027 09/05/22 11:25 PM
P
pop r Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
P
Solid post Lane! thumb

Re: Hey Friends - Crappie, Experimental Rigs and Deep Sea Fishing [Re: Laner] #14470975 09/08/22 02:13 AM
Laner Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Appreciate ya guys! I’ve got one more stint in the Gulf, then it’s full time crappie catching and deer hunting for this guy.

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: Hey Friends - Crappie, Experimental Rigs and Deep Sea Fishing [Re: Laner] #14471882 09/08/22 10:11 PM
J
Jig Man Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Love me some offshore stuff...

Life is Good..<><

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide