Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. #14463831 08/31/22 11:36 AM
L
Let’s Go Brandon Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
My grandkids are getting old enough that they want to go fishing with grandpa. I’m not comfortable with them on my Basscat and I’m thinking of getting a bay boat for my local lakes. Never owned a bay boat so I’m not sure what brands are good or not. I looked on Boat Trader and was shocked how many used ones were out there and all the brands. I’m looking at getting one around 22ft and spending a max of 50k. Not to many for sale up in Arkansas where I’m at, but there is a large amount along the coast from TX to the east coast. Any suggestions from folks who have owned one before or know about them?

Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Let’s Go Brandon] #14463841 08/31/22 11:57 AM
J
Jman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I’m in the same boat as you lol_2 Not only for the grand kids but also for my back.

I’m looking at something in the 24’ range. But sticking to a budget is the hard part. 3-4 yr old boats are going for what you could’ve bought one new just a couple years ago.

The Triton 240 or 260 is what I e been trying to find as they have one of the largest front decks that are flat.

A lot of them cut the center out for a step which worries me falling into that thing.

Jim Featherston
Mortgage Loan Officer - NMLS 2509901
Red Diamond Home Loans
PH 972-890-3114
Apply at: RDHLoans.com/Jim
Licensed to Serve Clients in Texas and Florida
Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Let’s Go Brandon] #14463865 08/31/22 12:37 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
I had a Wellcraft CC for many years. Sold it because I couldn't put a Ultrexx tm on it without cutting the rails. I still see it running up and down Wheeler Lake.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Let’s Go Brandon] #14463880 08/31/22 12:55 PM
B
bigrebar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Couple questions for you.

Are you looking for a smooth ride in open water without shallow water capabilities? This cuts most bay boats choices in half, as half of them are for skinny water,

Do you want a capped boat or spatter gel coated deck? This cuts the remaining boats in half, as half are capped, half are rolled edge splatter gel coated decks. The latter are mostly Texas made and customizable, a capped boat is less customizable.

Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Let’s Go Brandon] #14463926 08/31/22 01:18 PM
W
Wool E. Booger Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
W
I have an express 20ft bay. It’s plenty big enough for us with grandson. I have never used it in the bays and never plan too. Perfect for bass, crappie and catfish on Texas lakes. Serves my purposes well without being too big. It is aluminum so it is an easy tow behind my truck. My 2cents

Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: bigrebar] #14463944 08/31/22 01:29 PM
L
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted by bigrebar

Are you looking for a smooth ride in open water without shallow water capabilities? This cuts most bay boats choices in half, as half of them are for skinny water,

Do you want a capped boat or spatter gel coated deck? This cuts the remaining boats in half, as half are capped, half are rolled edge splatter gel coated decks. The latter are mostly Texas made and customizable, a capped boat is less customizable.

I plan on only using it for big inland lakes around me like Norfork. I’m actually going to have a slip with a lift for it. I might occasionally take it for trips to other lakes in AR. I will be fishing some shallow areas and that’s why I felt a Bay Boat would be fine. Most the ones I’ve seen so far all look to have similar layouts. Some names I remember looking at online were, Blue Wave, Nautic Star, Pathfinder, Skeeter, Ranger. All had similar layouts. So I’m assuming those were Capped?

Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Wool E. Booger] #14463945 08/31/22 01:32 PM
L
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted by Wool E. Booger
I have an express 20ft bay. It’s plenty big enough for us with grandson. I have never used it in the bays and never plan too. Perfect for bass, crappie and catfish on Texas lakes. Serves my purposes well without being too big. It is aluminum so it is an easy tow behind my truck. My 2cents

Planning on sticking to Fiberglass. I had an Aluminum boat a long time ago and it just blew around to much for me. I’m not to concerned with towing and weight since I’ll be keeping in a slip.

Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Let’s Go Brandon] #14463957 08/31/22 01:40 PM
M
Mo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
M
My bluewave is rolled , but it is a 2000 model, still going strong and does what I need it to do.
I believe most of their new models are capped .
good luck on your search

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Let’s Go Brandon] #14463958 08/31/22 01:41 PM
T
TXanalogkd Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I highly recommend a bay boat. I own an 18 ft Kenner, and I take this boat everywhere; fresh and saltwater. My only recommendation is to buy one big enough to fish the family. I usually fish solo, so going in debt for a few more feet is not justified for me. Plenty of used boats out there, be patient, do not be afraid to travel out of the area, and ask for a test ride.

Good luck!!

Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Let’s Go Brandon] #14463976 08/31/22 01:53 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I liked my Ranger 375V. I ordered it from the factory and had it almost 35 years. Switching to a bay boat was the best thing I ever did. I primarily fish open water. I was a little concerned about getting back in shallow water during the crappie spawn but so far no problems. I really like the Champ especially the model I have. Not sure what year they went to all composite but I do know the 2002s had wood. I have 2 neighbors that owned them. One had problems but not well maintained. I was loading up at the ramp on Lavon once and a guy in a Skeeter backed down and said "I sure wish I had a Champ". I wanted to get off the ramp so I did not get to ask him why. I think all the boats you mentioned are good. Add Triton to your list. I am partial to my Champ but they are tough to find. I had to drive 300 miles when I bought mine 5 years ago. You might check the LA fishing forum.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Let’s Go Brandon] #14463987 08/31/22 02:02 PM
G
grandbassslayer Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Let’s Go Brandon
Originally Posted by bigrebar

I plan on only using it for big inland lakes around me like Norfork. I’m actually going to have a slip with a lift for it. I might occasionally take it for trips to other lakes in AR. I will be fishing some shallow areas and that’s why I felt a Bay Boat would be fine. Most the ones I’ve seen so far all look to have similar layouts. Some names I remember looking at online were, Blue Wave, Nautic Star, Pathfinder, Skeeter, Ranger. All had similar layouts. So I’m assuming those were Capped?

Yea you want capped, those are all capped. I’ve been looking at the nauticstar and mainly for the 3 across individual flip up seats, no one else has that layout. The Yamaha 210fsh is the only outlier I’ve looked at. It has a wide open back deck because of the twin jet drives. My budget is 50-52k but I need a folding t-top.

Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Let’s Go Brandon] #14463988 08/31/22 02:04 PM
W
Wool E. Booger Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by Let’s Go Brandon
Originally Posted by Wool E. Booger

Planning on sticking to Fiberglass. I had an Aluminum boat a long time ago and it just blew around to much for me. I’m not to concerned with towing and weight since I’ll be keeping in a slip.

thumb no problem. Had a fiberglass bay for years before the aluminum. Good luck.

Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Let’s Go Brandon] #14463991 08/31/22 02:07 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
There's literally a thousand choices.
So, when you understand whatever *I'VE* got is the BEST EVER, you're going to get a lot of different opinions, none of which are directed at what you want and need.

There's a lot of fluff on a boat, looks great on a showroom, utter fails on the water. The main attraction of a CC design is simplicity, and ability to move around with a full crew on board, keep those in mind, and your choices get easier.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Fishin' Nut] #14464067 08/31/22 02:54 PM
Z71 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
I had a Wellcraft CC for many years. Sold it because I couldn't put a Ultrexx tm on it without cutting the rails. I still see it running up and down Wheeler Lake.

I cut the rails and never will regret it

John Z71

[Linked Image]
Re: Thinking of getting a Bay Boat. [Re: Let’s Go Brandon] #14464111 08/31/22 03:24 PM
S
sprigsss Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
I have a Skeeter SX220. I love my boat. Primarily bass fish in it.

I went the CC route for hauling around my wife, 2 kids, and 2 dogs. Plenty of room for ice chests and other gear and easy to move around with everyone in it.

I Fish with 2 bass clubs and I yet to fail to get anywhere I wanted to fish. I have no regrets.

Can comfortably sit 6-8 people when we just go out to the lake for a cruise or to go swimming. There isn't anything I can think of that I cannot do in my boat, that I would be able to do in a bass boat other than run 70 mph.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide