Print Thread
Bass 101- Top Five Reasons to Troll for Bass #14452237 08/18/22 12:28 PM
M
MathGeek Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Do you eschew this legal and effective method?

�Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?" - The Messiah
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass 101- Top Five Reasons to Troll for Bass [Re: MathGeek] #14454286 08/20/22 12:59 PM
M
MathGeek Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Bass 101- Top Five Reasons to Troll for Bass
If you appreciate American ideals of liberty and embrace a live and let live attitude, then you resist the temptation to judge others who fish differently from you, and you realize that you might even learn something. Here are my top five reasons for trolling for bass.
5) Most of my guests are far less experienced than I am. They want a fun day on the water without needing to buy specialized equipment, and they want to catch some fish. They're less interested in learning cast and retrieve skills that they'll only use a few times a year. Trolling is a laid back and effective approach that allows for success and a good time within these constraints.
4) In many lakes, once the sun is high, most bass suspend in the same deeper water as the schools of bait in the summer months. Pulling a spread of lures through the bait balls is a path to success without expensive equipment or electronics.
3) I'm not alone among bass anglers in that age has brought some limitations that prevent me from casting hundreds of times a day. When casting is difficult or painful, the most effective methods are using bait and trolling. Effective use of bait is much more expensive and requires locating the bass. Trolling is more effective when bass are suspended and chasing deep bait balls that move around the lake. Cast and retrieve is more like day of work to me. Trolling is more like a day of rest.
2) I'm competing against the fish, not against other anglers. Consequently, I don't need some imposed set of rules or someone else's ethics to say I'm better than them. Most states already impose enough silly rules on their citizens, and I don't impose many more on myself or my guests. I prefer to send them home with dinner and a smile.
1) Trolling is effective and a great way to learn new areas quickly by riding around at 2-3 MPH and watching the sonar. Most of the time, I'm not thinking about bass any more than the bass are thinking about me. I'm thinking about the bait, because the bass are thinking about the bait too. To get inside the mind of a bass, you have to think about the bait, and spending my hours on the lake watching for the bait balls on the sonar is the way to study bait. I'm honest enough to realize I can't tell the difference between bass, catfish, crappie, carp, and turtles on the sonar. But I know a bait ball when I see one, and that's where the bass will be.

�Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?" - The Messiah
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide