Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Jimbo] #14445789 08/11/22 12:45 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Seems in my area the lightning storms are more intense and frequent than years ago!

Some might say the cause is "climate change" (formerly known as global warming and prior to that as global cooling).

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Stump jumper] #14445797 08/11/22 12:56 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
S
I have a buddy that was fishing with his dad along the bluffs on Texoma. Lightning struck the bluff and then hit him in the knee. Fortunately the charge was fairly weak after hitting the bluff.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Stump jumper] #14445802 08/11/22 01:04 PM
D
DillonCan'tFish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I have watched two houses on my block burn due to lightning strikes. One happened 2 years ago and the other earlier this year. One was completely gutted and re-done. Nice new fence, two new vehicles, the whole deal. The other is still sitting with tarps stretched over where the roof used to be. I'll see if I can find the pictures.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DillonCan'tFish; 08/11/22 01:09 PM.
Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Stump jumper] #14445805 08/11/22 01:06 PM
P
PondFish Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
P
When I was five or six a tree across the street got hit.

In college there was a strike real close to the house I was living in about 3:00 in the morning. The static discharge turned on the fluorescent desk lamp in my room

Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Stump jumper] #14445816 08/11/22 01:24 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Check these out.

Formation of Gigantic Jet Over Oklahoma
This image series, taken from a video, shows the formation of a gigantic jet over Oklahoma in May 2018.

The gigantic jet moved an estimated 300 coulombs of electrical charge from the thunderstorm into the ionosphere – the lower edge of space. Typical lightning bolts carry less than five coulombs between the cloud and ground or within clouds. The upward discharge included relatively cool (approximately 400 degrees Fahrenheit / 200 degrees Celsius) streamers of plasma. However, it also included structures called leaders that are very hot – more than 8,000 degrees Fahrenheit (~4,400 degrees Celsius).

[Linked Image]

https://scitechdaily.com/unraveling...g-bursts-that-reach-50-miles-into-space/

Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: ReelBusy] #14445835 08/11/22 01:52 PM
BlueNitro Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ReelBusy
Check these out.

Formation of Gigantic Jet Over Oklahoma
This image series, taken from a video, shows the formation of a gigantic jet over Oklahoma in May 2018.

The gigantic jet moved an estimated 300 coulombs of electrical charge from the thunderstorm into the ionosphere – the lower edge of space. Typical lightning bolts carry less than five coulombs between the cloud and ground or within clouds. The upward discharge included relatively cool (approximately 400 degrees Fahrenheit / 200 degrees Celsius) streamers of plasma. However, it also included structures called leaders that are very hot – more than 8,000 degrees Fahrenheit (~4,400 degrees Celsius).

[Linked Image]

https://scitechdaily.com/unraveling...g-bursts-that-reach-50-miles-into-space/

That's some real life 'Big Bang Theory' kinda stuff right there.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Stump jumper] #14445839 08/11/22 01:57 PM
BlueNitro Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
My parent's house got hit when we lived in Duncanville back in the early 80's. If I recall correctly, we only had the tv fried because they had some lightning rods installed.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Stump jumper] #14445889 08/11/22 02:27 PM
H
Hookem Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
A tree at our place in CP got zapped. I was at work and got a call from the wife and said we were hit. She went outside with a friend who was staying with us and as she was smoking a cig, she told me she smelled something rotten. I asked if she was smoking, relied yes and I told her to move away quickly. The tree rocked enough to puncture the nat gas line. Yipee! Had the tree removed and line fixed. Zapped our micrwave, living room TV, a TV upstairs, coffee pot and her laptop. It was the same tree that blew down during the tornado that hit the house in 1997. Same storm that spawned the Jarrell tornado.

In 2006, saw a strike hit a neighbor's two way radio antenna. Scared the hell out of me as I was sitting in the garage watching the storm.

Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Stump jumper] #14445890 08/11/22 02:29 PM
Mark C Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I was trying to sneak in the house quietly one night after I stayed too long at a buds house playing pool and drinking beer. It was drizzling when I pulled into the driveway and the instant my foot hit the ground getting out of my truck, lightning hit the power pole behind my house about 60' from me. It blew the top insulator off the pole and the top transmission line fell onto the two transmission lines beneath it. The combination of arcing between the three lines and the wet pole created this crazy super bright multi-colored light show that would make you think He was making his return. This lasted a few minutes and it was loud, amazing, and scary all at the same time. Worst part was that it woke the wife (and the rest of the street) and she got all pizzed off because she thought I caused all that by being drunk and screwing around with something in the garage. It's always my fault. roflmao

Originally Posted by TexasBlonde
You are not a good or nice person.

Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Mark C] #14445905 08/11/22 02:41 PM
N
Nickbyrd Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
N
Originally Posted by Mark C
I was trying to sneak in the house quietly one night after I stayed too long at a buds house playing pool and drinking beer. It was drizzling when I pulled into the driveway and the instant my foot hit the ground getting out of my truck, lightning hit the power pole behind my house about 60' from me. It blew the top insulator off the pole and the top transmission line fell onto the two transmission lines beneath it. The combination of arcing between the three lines and the wet pole created this crazy super bright multi-colored light show that would make you think He was making his return. This lasted a few minutes and it was loud, amazing, and scary all at the same time. Worst part was that it woke the wife (and the rest of the street) and she got all pizzed off because she thought I caused all that by being drunk and screwing around with something in the garage. It's always my fault. roflmao

Yup sounds about right . Mine would have been in the front door way tapping her foot , arms cross , with “the look “ on her face and first words out of her mouth would be “ WHAT DID YOU DO !?†🤣🤣🤣🤣

Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Stump jumper] #14445912 08/11/22 02:49 PM
N
Nickbyrd Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
N
Lighting stikes are funny as is electricity in general. They exit randomly it seems . In the garage door biz ( mostly in metal buildings , shops , barndos, ect..) the structure will get hit and might burn up a operator and the one next to it be fine or it might get all of them . They will do strange things after the fact due too the fried circuit board and/or not work at all and you’ll find nothing but black soot when you pop the cover . Or some how it will seem to travel thru the op and smoke the wall control and the operator will be just fine . It’s a common occurrence to get a tidal wave of service calls after a good thunder storm . Seen some weird stuff .

Last edited by Nickbyrd; 08/11/22 02:50 PM.
Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Stump jumper] #14445926 08/11/22 03:01 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Got hit right on the peak of our roof in my old house. Blew a hole through two sheets of roof decking, so 16 feet long. Yard and attic looked like a war zone with bits of shingles and plywood particles blown everywhere. Knocked out a bunch of electronics, but it was totally random. TV and dvd player were knocked out but cable box would be fine on one circuit. On another the cable box was fried, but xbox and TV were fine. Also killed the water heater in the attic, and fried all three AC units and one thermostat.

Dealing with State Farm was a kick in the nuts. They made us right in the end, but it took a tremendous amount of effort on my part to get there.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: RayBob] #14445958 08/11/22 03:24 PM
U
uncle_bagster Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
U
Originally Posted by RayBob
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Seems in my area the lightning storms are more intense and frequent than years ago!

Some might say the cause is "climate change" (formerly known as global warming and prior to that as global cooling).

Some lightning strikes are caused by cursing. During the 1800, cattle-drive days, no cowboy worth his salt would cuss during a thunderstorm.

Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: COFF] #14446002 08/11/22 04:25 PM
N
Nickbyrd Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
N
Originally Posted by COFF
Got hit right on the peak of our roof in my old house. Blew a hole through two sheets of roof decking, so 16 feet long. Yard and attic looked like a war zone with bits of shingles and plywood particles blown everywhere. Knocked out a bunch of electronics, but it was totally random. TV and dvd player were knocked out but cable box would be fine on one circuit. On another the cable box was fried, but xbox and TV were fine. Also killed the water heater in the attic, and fried all three AC units and one thermostat.

Dealing with State Farm was a kick in the nuts. They made us right in the end, but it took a tremendous amount of effort on my part to get there.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dang that looks like a major pain in the [censored]

Re: Lightning strikes on house [Re: Stump jumper] #14446013 08/11/22 04:36 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
S
Not lightning but an earlier post reminded me of something. Growing up our yard backed up to Canyon Creek golf course and the power poles were between our yard and the course. One of the neighbor kids threw an iron up and the head contacted the top wire while the shaft hit a bottom wire. The shaft exploded and some of the pieces hit my brother in the back. The head of the club was forever welded to the wire.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide