Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14439715 08/04/22 08:13 PM
Gilly1991 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I just got back from fishing Katie's Woods on my lunch break. PLENTY of eater sized whites from the shore within casting distance. Be careful though, also a ton of gar mixed in with them. I lost 3 or 4 lures due to them in the 40 minutes I was there. And, yes. I noticed the same with the boats. As soon as a wake made it's into the cove, the boil would start immediately.

If you think you're the smartest man in the room, you're not. If you know you're the smartest man in the room, find a different room.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14440844 08/05/22 08:18 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
We targeted lmb today. Fished from 630am until noon.

We were fishing fast covering a lot of water throwing Square bills medium divers swim baits and my buddy threw a top water a good deal of the day.

All that stuff sucked lol. I had two bass on the swimbait. My buddy had two on his top water walking bait. The fish were all about 2lbs.

We did see a few Sandie boils but they looked small and not really what we were after. I did notice that the strong connection between the Wake boats and then the fish boiling right after they pass... well that wasn't working like it did yesterday. I did not see that happening today.

So we didn't get skunked. That was good! But it definitely was a tough day.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14441000 08/05/22 11:02 PM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Bass fishing is all about the rock piles, and planted brush on the lake. There are good spots that are always the best area to fish, then their is allot of dead water. But for me, Rock Piles.. Been targeting brush for crappie and seeing bass, but they don't want to play. But for bass I have been fishing early-8 in the 1-15ft range, and after 8am I am in 20+ looking for the big green fish. Don't get discouraged, as I have been practicing my casting allot lately. Thanks for the report, and keep it up.. Much appreciated.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14441486 08/06/22 04:01 PM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

We were fishing fast covering a lot of water throwing Square bills medium divers swim baits and my buddy threw a top water a good deal of the day.

All that stuff sucked lol. I had two bass on the swimbait. My buddy had two on his top water walking bait. The fish were all about 2lbs.

We did see a few Sandie boils but they looked small and not really what we were after. I did notice that the strong connection between the Wake boats and then the fish boiling right after they pass... well that wasn't working like it did yesterday. I did not see that happening today.

We were out there same time period yesterday with only 5 small bass on t-rig & Ned rig. Had about 25 whites with 1/2 keeper size (not kept) out on the lake side of sand bass point. Going to do a night trip next time, too hot. fish

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14441789 08/06/22 11:55 PM
gregd Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
What a great thread! I haven't been there in years. Are "the bubbles" still a thing?

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14442062 08/07/22 02:43 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by prosise
Bass fishing is all about the rock piles, and planted brush on the lake. There are good spots that are always the best area to fish, then their is allot of dead water. But for me, Rock Piles.. Been targeting brush for crappie and seeing bass, but they don't want to play. But for bass I have been fishing early-8 in the 1-15ft range, and after 8am I am in 20+ looking for the big green fish. Don't get discouraged, as I have been practicing my casting allot lately. Thanks for the report, and keep it up.. Much appreciated.

Right on thanks man. I really enjoy this thread and glad I have been able to get out a few times and contribute something.

Yesterday I went to Murrell with the fly rod and waded around catching some bluegills, couple of small bass and even a small channel cat! Nice to get out and just enjoy the summer even if the fishing is not lights out and I find myself down to chasing bluegills... still enjoy every moment of it.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: gregd] #14442064 08/07/22 02:44 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by gregd
What a great thread! I haven't been there in years. Are "the bubbles" still a thing?

Yes. So I have heard.

When I was out there they were not running. Someone who spends more time out there (esp from a boat and not the bank or yak like me) can probably give a full bubbles update lol.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: Scoundrel] #14442068 08/07/22 02:46 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by Scoundrel
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

We were out there same time period yesterday with only 5 small bass on t-rig & Ned rig. Had about 25 whites with 1/2 keeper size (not kept) out on the lake side of sand bass point. Going to do a night trip next time, too hot. fish

Makes sense to be all about the subtle plastics. Its the dog middle of the dog days of summer... in a summer that is one of and maybe is thee hottest summer in the last 20 years so... yeah. Small plastics

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14444745 08/10/22 11:46 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished all day yesterday, when the storms blew thru me and another guy hung around Silver lake Marina in case we needed some shelter from the rain. Got a sprinkle on me and the boat, and that was about it. Fishing turned on and Bass fishing was lights out, when I was wrapping up I stopped by the hump on the west side point at Scotts marina cove. Sandbags were stacked up on the hump, and on all sides. I fished this area for several hours earlier in the day but it was a ghost town. Lots of really small Sandies found on all the usual spots, stuck to the bottom. Also some wolf packs working silver lake Marina chasing the small ghost minnows. Most of the humps lately have been scarse of good sand Bass, but they were at sandbags point yesterday. Lake was so nice yesterday, and after the storm I had it pretty much all to myself for a couple hours. For some reason the bait is staying on the south side of the lake, even with the south wind we have had for over 2 weeks. Silver lake cove is completely empty of bait. In the early morning (4am-sunrise) the bait is all up on the top couple of feet of water. When the sun comes up, the bait assembles into larger schools and goes deep. Main lake still doesn't show a defined thermocline which is odd. Caught bass and Sandies down to 30 ft yesterday. Seeing fish deeper but not going deeper than this. Scottsb anding and Silver lake marina, and McPherson coves are stacked with bait. I saw allot of small sandbags schooling by the tires outside of Scotts landing when the sun came up, but they were small fish (@8 inches). Long day, but was really smiling when I left, 4am-830pm on the water was a good day. But to be honest it was casting practice for big bass until the storm rolled thru. After 8 am, I fished 20+ the rest of the day. If you want some fun for into Silver Lake and throw a small minnow swimbait (1.5"-2") into the boat stalls, and you will catch allot of small bass. Thank goodness for lithium batteries, really needed them running the mega 360, and livescope all day.

Picture of the moon in the evening when I was on the hump by sandbags point.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 08/10/22 11:59 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14450987 08/17/22 03:08 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I fished for the Green fish Sunday, and today. Sandbass are AWOL on the usual spots. I caught them at the dam discharge tower in the morning before sunrise but they were small. I checked Murrell point, the humps east of the island, and the humps north of the crusher and I didn't find any good ones. The bait is staying on the south side of the lake, all the coves on the south side have bait. If your looking for the green fish you need to be looking 20ft+ for good fish. Caught a really nice smallmouth today. Crappie are getting tougher to catch, every brush pile I can pick one fish then they all get lock jaw. Been spending allot of time covering areas of the lake for brush. Scanned the north bank from the dam to rock ledge and have over 30 pieces of cover with crappie on them. The smaller pieces don't hold the big crappie. Caught some small crappie just off the swim area of rock ledge, but it is nothing to spend any time on. The big sand bass I have caught lately have been consistently in the grapevine point area, but it is a situation of being in the right place at the right time. Take care all, water surface temp was 87 today, and bait was concentrated in the 15-18 foot range after the sun came up. Prob caught a limit of crappie, but they were harder to catch lately. I was using a 2" storm swim jig. If your going out for sandies, I would stay in the dove ramp area and settle for the smaller fish for fun. I can't say I am confident on the good ones right now. Take care all, and God Bless...

[Linked Image]

Smallie was 3.65 lb on a small 2" jig fishing brush for crappie. Was a surprise fish.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14456735 08/23/22 01:00 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Launched canoe from TC ramp and when I left at 4pm I had to drive my truck around to the canoe. Creek went up at least 10ft, wicked current. Saw some mega catfish in the grass along the bank when I was trying to get back to the park. I ain't kidding when I say the catfish are working the shallows. If you like catfish, you need to get your gear and wet a line in the TC park area, closest to the mouth of the lake.

Conditions changed drastically when the water started to flow.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14456740 08/23/22 01:11 AM
Bruce's Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
clap clap

Bruce's Sprinkler Repair
817-798-7246
52 years experience
State Licensed Irrigation
LI0017483

Fishing Texas lakes one at a time

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14457836 08/24/22 11:58 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Had the whole lake to myself most of the day, nothing better.

Fished yesterday from 345am-5pm. Didn't know what to expect out on the main lake, so I launched at Katy woods I guess my weather app didn't get the memo. WeatherBug said clouds all morning, and sunshine by 1pm. Instead I got steady mist at 630, and steady light drenching rain until 2pm. Really flushed out the boat good. I crossed paths with the Sandies at the dam, the small ones were working the light right before sunrise. Chased the green fish all day, and took breaks catching crappie. I'm beginning to really like crappie fishing. If you are on the fence about LiveScope, you can catch crappie all year long using LiveScope. I heard once that crappie is "redneck lobster", and I would agree. Caught some really nice crappie yesterday. If I would have caught some bait, it would have been a slaughter. Some of the brush I found recently are stacked with 20+ nice crappie. Some look like bass, but are just really big crappie. Water surface temp at 6am was 77.5 F, and was 83'ish when I left. Didn't see the bass move up into the shallows like I thought. Good "green fish" are still in the 20ft range. Wind changed about 2pm, and I started seeing some light surface feeding just east of twin coves point. I could see small packs of fish in the dozen range scouting, and I was able to pick up allot of 8-9" fish for about 45 minutes. Had to use the LiveScope for the surface packs. Scott's landing, silver lake, and dove ramp areas are still stacked with bait. Never went above twin coves, and I didn't see any debris, and water is clear green and really nice. Water is up about 1.5ft from the rain, and will likely go up another foot. There is allot of grass, and new vegetation in the water so you should be able to see some shallow action soon for the green fish. Lastly, police are ticketing parking lots in full force, if you don't have a trailer don't park in the long parking spaces. I launched the canoe, and made that mistake. Maybe I can ask for a second chance, as I was fishing and picking up trash on the north bank at that time. Dove ramp is a bad situation, the plastic floating dock they installed is in about 3ft, so raise your motor if you use it. The dock that is right next to the ramp, has been on land for a while. Take care all, had a good week cleaning out the beach. Found lots of junk, and filled up 5 recycle buckets with beer cans. Take care all, working next 4 days.

Caught so many nice crappie yesterday. Nothing kept..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Things I found at the beach before the water level went up. BTW, I was shoulder deep using Garrett at gold waterproof detector. Filled canoe up to the brim with beer cans.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 08/24/22 12:07 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14463163 08/30/22 04:17 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Lake is changing rapidly.. Did some metal detecting from 10am -230pm in meadomere. Sandbass all up and around the swim area at 10am, glass minnows on the run. Sandbass I saw were small, but they stayed in this area for over an hour. Water is getting cool, and bass doing some transitioning. I saw sandbass up in the extreme shallows chasing bait on both main points of meadomere cove. When I left, I was standing on the meadomere ramp and casting a dt8 out and reeling it back down the edges (rocks) and caught a sandbass that was a keeper. Caught a really nice bass in about 12ft of water fishing rock piles, and lost a really nice fish right at the boat that may have gone 8lbs. With any wind always keep an eye out for a white crane working the banks, points. Didn't see any surface action on the north side of the lake, but I saw some schools of bait on the surface showing signs of an attack by bigger fish up in the shallower areas of the points. Fished out of the canoe, and as always had a great time. Hopefully going out tomorrow for some more peace and quiet.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake 2022 [Re: prosise] #14463318 08/30/22 06:47 PM
S
Slacklinedime Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Saturday just after sunrise I got into a school of Sand bass that was epic, 90% were 11-14". They were just destroying the Pop-R for about 30min then they disappeared and i mean disappeared not a trace on the graph, anywhere in the cove! I am about 90% sure they were abducted by aliens....

Do something different, you will be surprised what happens.
2020 Xpress H20B
115 Yamaha SHO
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide