Page 22 of 56 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 55 56
Re: Climate change [Re: YEE_YEE] #14440404 08/05/22 03:28 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted by YEE_YEE
Just wondering why anyone cares what taxes people pay ?
I pay mine I'm not rich

Taxes fund research for research sake. Taxes are supposed to be applied to infrastructure maintenance and upgrades. Taxes are supposed to fund educating the populous beyond just a bare minimum able to hold a job. We should have been funding research since the 80s into new ideas for energy and teaching the kids to be smart enough to figure out the problem. It pulls the profits out of the super large corporations that are run by investors, and at least in theory redirects into employing the people in making things better. Theoretically. In a dream world where everything is cheese.

We knew all the way back in the 70s that we were having an effect on climate systems. We didn't quite understand what those effects were, but we were trying to figure them out. So over the decades, more people have collected more data and gone "Hey, there's something seriously wrong here. We may want to slow down until we can figure it out." But companies want to make their profits and we don't do anything to slow them down as they turn into giants. But all of us have seen the changes in the landscape over time.

The world that we have now isn't working and we all know it. And we're seeing the fallout from the inaction all around us. Kentucky floods, yes. But not back to back. You'll get one bad flood and then it's done. But now you have storms training up over the same area with repeated flood events in short time periods. One flood doesn't make too much of a difference. It's repeated events that's the problem. Multiple data points.
Texas has hot summers, but good lord this is too much. I've gotten 5" of rain this year total. Jacob's well stopped flowing for the 4th time in recorded history.

I keep having to answer the phone and losing my train of thought.

Re: Climate change [Re: The Searchers] #14440408 08/05/22 03:32 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by The Searchers

You seem to have been brainwashed. Type // if you have been kidnapped and were raised by jimmy carter.

People who have made a lifetime of bad decisions always want a new system.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Climate change [Re: bloo_rainger] #14440452 08/05/22 04:10 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Changed here....getting a little rain finally

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Climate change [Re: V-Bottom] #14440469 08/05/22 04:17 PM
B
bloo_rainger Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted by V-Bottom

looks like the TAX increase is paying off..................

Re: Climate change [Re: bloo_rainger] #14440503 08/05/22 04:27 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by bloo_rainger

Will more taxes make it stay in the 70's all summer?

Re: Climate change [Re: John175☮] #14440512 08/05/22 04:29 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by John175☮

what time of day are we talking?

Re: Climate change [Re: hopalong] #14440517 08/05/22 04:31 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by hopalong

what time of day are we talking?

Well I assume the more we pay the more choice we have in the climate. Surely we will get results we can measure.

Re: Climate change [Re: John175☮] #14440532 08/05/22 04:39 PM
R
ReelBusy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R

This may be why taxes are higher as you go to a higher latitude.

Re: Climate change [Re: John175☮] #14440539 08/05/22 04:44 PM
B
bloo_rainger Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B

i'm thinking a tax rate of about 50% would get us close to those temp's.
if it's going to save the world we need to do it.

Re: Climate change [Re: bloo_rainger] #14440541 08/05/22 04:45 PM
K
kennerdude Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
K
So after I’m taxed into oblivion to make the climate cooler and it fails (which it will) will the gubment refund all the money back to me, to us? Will china, India or any other massive polluting country participate in this this colossal goat fornication? Will their citizens pay their “fair share” to make Tx summers cooler?

NIL CARBORUNDUM
Re: Climate change [Re: bloo_rainger] #14440549 08/05/22 04:55 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
To paraphrase, people (I'll say "people" instead of all of us because I am not included in the population described in this revisionist narrative) back in the 70s realized "hey, something is wrong so maybe we need to pause things." Pause what? Stop driving to and from work, or on vacations, or to to check on mom and dad in Wichita Falls, or anywhere else for that matter? Quit generating electricity to heat and cool or homes? What were we supposed to pause, and considering the 70s were five decades ago and we're all still alive and breathing air and drinking water, just how urgent was this problem that caused the allegedly needed pause?

"The world isn't working and we all know it." I'm sorry, I hate to be rude, but this is idiotic gibberish. What isn't working, and what makes you think that "we all" agree that it's not working? I live eight miles as the crow flies from a refinery and if I started early I could walk to the site of the Daisy Bradford well that brought in the East Texas Oil Field almost 100 years ago. My mom could walk outside her door and see the smokestack from a lignite power plant. My wife's mom and stepdad live across town and have lived near power plants, oil fields, and other "fossil fuels" facilities most of their lives. She is 89 and he is 96. There are millions of East Texans, Americans across the country for that matter, who could say the same. None of us have a third eye growing, and none of us glow in the dark. I fish almost every weekend, frequently in the cooling lakes alongside power plants, and it's amazing. There are plants like hydrilla and water lilies growing all over the place, there are bass and other fish that appear to be perfectly healthy swimming in the water...along with the entire ecosystem that keeps them and everything else alive..., there are deer all around as well as doves and frogs and lizards and raccoons and baby rabbits...and of course people.

In what make believe world do some of you people live, a world where problems abound everywhere and life is dying or disappearing?

Where are the rising seas that are going to consume cities? The Statue of Liberty was built in New York Harbor in the late 1800s, on Liberty (at the time Bedloe's) Island. Guess what? If you look at pictures of Liberty Island in 1900 alongside today the water level is the same. Ships and ferries and boats have been using the same piers and docks in New York and New Orleans and San Francisco for decades and decades and decades. Why aren't they underwater?

Creating a fantasy and then demanding that everyone agree that it is true...with the demands being in the form of taxation enforced by the threat of prison and the mandated giving up of personal belongings such as vehicles to "save the planet"...is not only extremely arrogant, it is incredibly destructive to society, economy, and most of all freedom.

Re: Climate change [Re: kennerdude] #14440550 08/05/22 04:56 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted by kennerdude
So after I’m taxed into oblivion to make the climate cooler and it fails (which it will) will the gubment refund all the money back to me, to us? Will china, India or any other massive polluting country participate in this this colossal goat fornication? Will their citizens pay their “fair share” to make Tx summers cooler?

We pay too much of our fair share in property taxes and other ways that they are granted exemptions from. It isn't any one way that we're screwed, but many and varied. No other country has the sheer brainpower and inventive curiosity that we can have when we're at our best. But other countries are facing their own disasters too and they have to do something about it to survive. We're the biggest and the best and the brightest. We're the leaders of the world... so lead.

Re: Climate change [Re: Kattelyn] #14440555 08/05/22 04:58 PM
Bigbob_FTW Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Kattelyn

We pay too much of our fair share in property taxes and other ways that they are granted exemptions from. It isn't any one way that we're screwed, but many and varied. No other country has the sheer brainpower and inventive curiosity that we can have when we're at our best. But other countries are facing their own disasters too and they have to do something about it to survive. We're the biggest and the best and the brightest. We're the leaders of the world... so lead.

"they" create jobs. You and I don't. not a hard concept.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Climate change [Re: Kattelyn] #14440592 08/05/22 05:26 PM
G
grandbassslayer Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Kattelyn

We tried to lead with Trump and the free world got pissed when we acted like leaders and pointed out we are tired of dragging their dead weight. We spend all of our money on entitlements or protecting the free world. Once they grow a pair and pay for their own defense we could shift monies elsewhere.

Re: Climate change [Re: Razorback] #14440602 08/05/22 05:32 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Razorback
Some people are smarter than other people. Some are more talented. Some work harder. Some are more innovative. Some are more willing to take risk. And even if after all that some are "luckier", so what? "They were born into wealthier families". Again, so what? Someone along the way earned and accumulated that wealth that was passed down to heirs. You say we aren't heirs, aren't in that family lineage? Boo hoo. Whining about it or not, you still have no claim to any of it other than "I exist so I should have part of it."

I have done nothing to earn or deserve any of Elon Musk's money. I haven't earned one thousandth of a square millimeter of his private jet, or one of his rockets, or anything else he has. Being born and existing doesn't entitle people to part of other people's wealth, or at least it shouldn't. Incentivizing people to work and think and earn their own way is what makes a civilization prosper. It's a shame that we as a nation have fostered the notion that being given part of what other people have is a way to get by.

You are confused. Listen, I don't give a [censored] if you raise billionaire's effective tax rate, or lower mine to theirs, but they shouldn't be paying less as a percentage than me or anyone else for that matter. And the same goes for the folks on the bottom. EVERYONE should pay in. Bezos's paid zero for half a dozen of the last 20 years. He used the roads, the fire department, our military, and laws as much or more than me. No free lunch for anyone. And lastly the budget should be balanced. It's got nothing to do with jealousy, and I'm not at all sure what's confusing or controversial from a conservative point of view about any of that.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Page 22 of 56 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 55 56
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide