Page 1 of 2 1 2
Finally got a boat! #14431681 07/27/22 03:29 PM
S
sowhntr Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Finally got the family an old boat to do some catfishing. Looking for some ideas for pole holders. What type and where to purchase? I would like something metal that holds 3-4 poles and could be mounted to the deck. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks josh

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14431797 07/27/22 05:32 PM
T
TRH (formerly xpress00) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
MulTbar and smackdown. Google, you will find them.

Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14432199 07/28/22 12:38 AM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
I use fishbiterodholders.com on my boat. They sell racks, individual track mounts, and multi bars.

Last edited by z289sec; 07/28/22 12:39 AM.
Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14433479 07/29/22 03:18 AM
S
sowhntr Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
thnaks guys going to check them out, i cant wait to rig this old boat out!

Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14433922 07/29/22 04:55 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Nothing changes the game as your own boat, man now you can do what and where with it and if it doesn't work or you don't like it, you can do something else. I know way to many guys that can't really enjoy what boat and stuff they have on it, I think we all here know that the only, ONLY; limiting thing is our budget too... Then there is the weather of coarse, currently the heat. I put a new water pressure guage in mine yesterday, and while it was really nice and hot, I kept taking steps to enjoy the whole install. It's not always easy either.

When I go fishing, I want to go fishing, now I am not saying I would drag my boat up the ramp or anything, but if there is a spot that has some timber and snags in the way of where I want to fish, I just use the trolling motor and get my way back there.

I have literally told more than a few guys that they really have quite the boat, they just needed to get out on the lake anywhere, stop and as you drift across the lake listening to the water splashing against the hull, and maybe some Redwing Blackbird or three if your lucky, in the cattails, as the cattails are always great to fish in for bait as well as trophies, but they are really soft to allow your boat to brush on them, heck I have even plowed the bow up in them to get further back to fish the backside or just better anchor the floater as I re-rig something different. Now back to what I actually told some guys, get on the water anywhere and kill everything and have some sort of drink and admire everything on your floater right then and there. Soon as you finished the drink, be it cold or hot, just pee all over the front deck and get ready to now being able to enjoy what you have there and start making memories, cause there coming, some good and some not so good, but time will fix all of them.

Now sure that might mean a scratch or two, but I can fix that if it's really bad but most often it's not that bad and I just log them in the gray matter as memories, maybe it was when the wind shoved you into the rocks as you got to close, rocks are not forgiving at all, but trust me here when I say this, but these memories also will become cherished, the good and the bad. Time will fix everything. So basically what I am going the long way about saying is enjoy the whole boating, rigging it and fishing thing as a whole. Try not backing yourself into a corner smile

So, you get started on rigging this floater of yours out and enjoy the rigging time as well, if your into that sort of stuff, the heat right now is a very tuff adversary, so pace yourself. The projects like these the gearheads like us take on are a marathon, not a sprint race. The sport of fishing as well as owning your own boat, or as I often refer to them (mine) floaters.

I look forward to reading how it all comes around for you... Good luck and the best in fishing.

Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14434817 07/30/22 05:02 PM
B
bert r Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Concerning pole holders, since you have just gotten an old boat perhaps you can make some pole holders for your boat. I purchased an old boat just for catfishing last December and have had much fun rigging it as I desired with the intent on keeping a low budget. I will try to attached some pictures of the pole holders that I made for the boat which only cost me some time as I already had the materials on hand. Even if you had to purchase the raw materials they are very cheap. Good luck and I hope you have fun rigging your boat! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14435799 07/31/22 10:22 PM
S
sowhntr Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
thanks rowdy, im ready to make some memories. a boat will always be a work in progress.

Bert thnaks for the pics. That is a great looking rig. Thank you for the ideas, im going to pick me up some tubing and fire up the welder one day this week.

Last edited by sowhntr; 07/31/22 10:23 PM.
Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14436907 08/02/22 12:29 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
^ very cool post Rowdy, and so true!

A bad day fishing in your boat is better than a good day at work.

I initially fitted rocket launchers on my old boat, but for comfort and sturdiness fishing for big cats, recently fitted two MulTbars and six Smackdowns. They sure are proud of them but worth every penny imho.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 08/02/22 12:31 AM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14437136 08/02/22 12:30 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I like everything Rowdy said except the part about peeing all over the front of your boat! Haha.

I have the Smack Down Rod Holders and the Multibars and I love them. BUT... They are pretty spendy. I made some rod racks out of 3/4" black pipe for my old boat and they were much, much less expensive and they did a fine job.
[Linked Image]
These are the new ones.
[Linked Image]
These are the DIY Black Pipe Version
[Linked Image]
This is the cap that I tapped to the 1/2" x 13 for the rod holder to screw into. These were Monster Rod Holders.

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14437148 08/02/22 12:47 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Dang, Bert you and Bluecat Bob's rod racks are really nice. I really like how they have that thick heavy rubber coating on them. I have always been a gearhead that is always into building and/or repairing my own stuff, mainly my way too, I see most things made to sell, not made to use. These rod racks you guys have are made to use, they look that part also.

I have made more than a few rod holders. I have messed around with coating them with the rubber dip and even the spray-on stuff, and never was left all warm and fuzzy from the scrawny results at its best. I like the rod holder design I have, I have been using it for over 30 years. Just wish I could get the heavy rubber coating figured out, that I would like anyway.

I have been working on ideas in my head for a rod rack to build that will come on and off my boat with just a few bolts, and as Bluecat Bob's, mine needs to accommodate my Bimini top, this time of year a Bimini is a must have for this old fisherman...

It's amazing to me how I did anything at all when I was younger, always had a job that I was "always " at, or so it seemed. Now, I am retired and I never seem to have enough time to get stuff done yet! What the heck... I am aware, painfully aware and literally, that I am not young anymore, but I just figure I would at least get closer to catching up with some of the things around here, I have to lol here since it's true like it or not.

I find most often I can buy something I want, get it home and something is either broken or missing. I end up having to fix this also. A few months ago I broke down and bought this Frabil dip net I have been wanting for a long time. Really big nice dip net. Get it back to the house to find the retention button for the slide handle was broken. Tried the store to get it replaced, was offered a much smaller cheaper net, or my money back. Didn't want that. The last few months of this summer I have been back and forth with Frabil thinking they were going to send me at least the broken button. They asked for pix and went through all the paces leaving me to think they were going to make this right.

Yesterday I give up, still wanting my net fixed. Well I chewed the retention button out of some 3/4" solid round stainless rod I have. Took me most of the day after all the normal projects around here(honey do's) .. I took pix of it thinking I would send them to Frabil and thinking them for their support, but this morning I just laugh about it and as I continue to see, time cures all things one way or the other. Most of the day yesterday and Overnight was not much time at all to fix this. I just lol about it now as my net that has never even seen water or even been to a lake yet, but it's on my boat and ready...

Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14437157 08/02/22 12:56 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Catfish Tim, I like the lime green, just seems to fit a boat. I recognized the monster rod holders, Steve Douglas design works well also. Got to love his u-tube videos also. He catches some really big cats.

Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14437168 08/02/22 01:08 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Don't bother with Frabil. Their nets are overpriced and not built for catfishing in my opinion. Get you an RS Net.

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14437614 08/02/22 06:36 PM
T
TRH (formerly xpress00) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
If your not wanting to spend a lot, These are easy to make, cheap, and last forever. Use galvanized pipe like above and then Drill 3/8's inch holes through the cross pipe. Use 3/8's bolts, 7/16" spring clips, Washers, lock nuts. If you are using the new rods they make these days you might need to up the size of the spring clip to get a bigger opening. The butts of today's rods tend to be a bit bigger than those I used to use. Sorry I couldn't find a better pic of the holders, these were from quite a while back.
These stood up to not only time and weather, but numerous large fish. Not once did anything fail. [Linked Image]

Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14437720 08/02/22 07:59 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Man that little guy there has got to be beside himself lol. Fish is bigger than he is, best pic I think I ever saw. I would have a copy of that and on my desk or somewhere.

I like those rod holders. Real hardware also, something else I like.

Catfish Tim, not ever heard of RS nets, this Frabil was messed up by someone at academy and I have it now, sort of like a marriage if you will, better or worse, well I think you guys know we're I have been with it. But hey my time is pretty cheap nowadays and I have more trouble with the heat than anything else
Least so far. I will be checking those RS nets, you can bank on that.

Dang, lol What a pic of that little guy. Awesome pic

Re: Finally got a boat! [Re: sowhntr] #14438287 08/03/22 01:49 PM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Angler
Angler
S
TRH, I love the simplicity of your rodholders. Way cheaper than what I went with.

Bert, your boat is parked at your place and there's already a cat in it! That's gotta be a good sign. Maybe the opposite of having a banana in it!

texas

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide