Page 1 of 2 1 2
fishing sunglasses #14432123 07/27/22 11:00 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
I had Oakley's for a while, but the rubber started coming off the side and when I tried to do a warranty claim, I couldn't get it taken care of - too much work to get it done and a total lack of response = terrible customer service. I've also always had a pair of Costas. I hate the fact that Luxottica acquired Costa after they were sold in 2014 to another company, through a merger. They also own Oakley and many of the other top brands. I followed their warranty claim process to the T with no response after numerous attempts. Kinda pisses me off.

Anyway, enough of the rant. So I have 2 Costas I normally switch between, one with green and the other with blue 580 lenses. I need an amber lens, but don't currently have one. I also have a few new pairs of Costas I keep in a drawer in case I lose or break one. Currently looking for one pair I have set somewhere down at the shop, other house or garage. When I started paddleboarding again, I grabbed another pair of sunglasses that someone probably gave me at one of our TOWA or SEOPA events where you have what they call break-out days and people give you stuff to try in hopes that you will write about it.

I've been using these sunglasses for about 2 weeks on the paddleboard and have come to really like them. They are very lightweight, comfortable and I can see fish in the water about as well as any other polarized glasses I have worn. So yesterday I decided to look them up. I was blown away at how inexpensive they are. Here's their sunglasses with an amber lens. I think amber is one of the best lake colors. Green, in my opinion, is the most versatile, and my blue lenses are for offshore saltwater.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGGTLXO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I haven't found the Mahi 246PFL online, like mine in these photos. If you come across them, please post a link. If you need an inexpensive pair of polarized sunglasses, these fit the bill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432138 07/27/22 11:29 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
I just bought a set of Wiley X Climb sunglasses with tri focal prescription lenses. they are pretty pricey with prescription lenses but my HSA account paid for them. I'd never owned any really good sunglasses until I bought these. Up until now it was what ever was on the rack at Walmart and cheap or Strike KIng.
These don't work to well in the shadows; I learned that this weekend @ Sandlin, but if you are in bright sun and working the shallows the detail in the water is just amazing. I'll probably buy another pair after the first of the year with some different lenses than the ones I have now. Someitng that works well when its shady or cloudy. I can finally see how to tie knots now with out having to change glasses and that is a bonus.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432149 07/27/22 11:44 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Interesting. Might check those out soon, as my green Costas got sunscreen or something on one lense and messed up the polarization. I’ve heard really good things about Shady Rays, too. They’re inexpensive and have an excellent warranty (for now). You can also find Costa, Oakley, Smith and some others on Steep and Cheap at decent prices, sometimes. I’m also looking for an amber pair.

[Linked Image]
Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432166 07/28/22 12:04 AM
I
IslandJim Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
I
I had two pairs of Maui Jim sunglasses. They were and are great. After about 18 years, I lost my big fishing sunglasses while kayak fishing. I never wanted to use my other pair for fishing and haven't. I looked at Costa(too much!) and Maui Jim's and they were so expensive, I decided to cheap out and ordered Shady Ray's polarized glasses with plastic lenses. They were great, but I pulled the starter rope on my outboard, and broke an earpiece hinge off. No problem, as Shady Ray has a guarantee. They immediately sent a new pair for like eight bucks. Meanwhile, I got out the JB Weld and patched mine. So, I have a used and a new set. But, after using the originals for a few months in saltwater, the lenses are starting to cloud up, and no soap and water will make it go away. I haven't even opened the replacements.
Bottom line: My Maui Jim's with glass lenses are going strong into their second decade. I'll struggle a while with the cheapos, but when they completely die, I'll pony up and spend the almost $300 for a set of glass, polarized lens sunglasses. You get what you pay for, if you're lucky. Buy once, cry once! I'm not a Costa(too much) fan, so I'll probably buy Maui Jim's again. My research before led me to believe that there's a lot of Costa knockoffs out there, so buyer beware! YMMV IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: Duck_Hunter] #14432178 07/28/22 12:16 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Interesting. Might check those out soon, as my green Costas got sunscreen or something on one lense and messed up the polarization. I’ve heard really good things about Shady Rays, too. They’re inexpensive and have an excellent warranty (for now). You can also find Costa, Oakley, Smith and some others on Steep and Cheap at decent prices, sometimes. I’m also looking for an amber pair.

I’ve had them delaminate. Their response was the glasses had too much sun exposure. DUH! “ S U N G L A S S E S” I told them. They wouldn’t cover them, so I went Oakley. The Oakleys are not as good. I have some WileyX that are comfortable and do an ok job. Just don’t know about the life of them, since they are newish.

Let us know what you find that works

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432184 07/28/22 12:18 AM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
I won one of the guess the weight deals with bass champs, paid the extra for rx lenses and really like them.
with rx they were shy of 500.00 but I got 200 off so that helped.
had the costas with blue 580 g lenses and really liked them a lot but never spent the money to get the lenses changed and sold them.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14432238 07/28/22 01:27 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

I’ve had them delaminate. Their response was the glasses had too much sun exposure. DUH! “ S U N G L A S S E S” I told them. They wouldn’t cover them, so I went Oakley. The Oakleys are not as good. I have some WileyX that are comfortable and do an ok job. Just don’t know about the life of them, since they are newish.

Let us know what you find that works

Man, that’s sad to hear. I wear mine anytime I’m outside during daylight hours.

[Linked Image]
Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432268 07/28/22 02:00 AM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
I just wondered if anybody had used the Reks sunglasses. They are an ABA sponsor and the do a two pair for $75 deal. They look pretty good and I'd be interested in purchasing a couple of pair for back up.
I've ran the the $35 Bass Pro sunglasses, Bill Dance, Strike King, etc., they all have the thin plastic lense and don't offer much eye protection if the Reks are like these I wouldn't be interested.
I hit a june bug several years ago running flat out across Fork late one evening wearing cheapies and almost lost my right eye to that june bug, it knocked the lense completely out of those sunglasses and almost blackened my eye. it swole up and turned red for a day or two. I'don't worry about that with the Wiley X glasses.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432281 07/28/22 02:22 AM
4Weight Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Smith Action Optics. Check them out

Aztec Anglers San Juan River Guide Service
www.aztecanglers.com
Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432288 07/28/22 02:37 AM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
I liked the sunglasses Kelly Jordon was wearing last time he was in my boat, but I forgot the name of them.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432315 07/28/22 03:24 AM
M
Mo_Cat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Am sold on Costa 580G fantail's. They fit my head. There may be better glasses but Costa's fit and don't flop around when running

Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432353 07/28/22 05:03 AM
D
Duke 22 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I had Oakley's for a while, but the rubber started coming off the side and when I tried to do a warranty claim, I couldn't get it taken care of - too much work to get it done and a total lack of response = terrible customer service. I've also always had a pair of Costas. I hate the fact that Luxottica acquired Costa after they were sold in 2014 to another company, through a merger. They also own Oakley and many of the other top brands. I followed their warranty claim process to the T with no response after numerous attempts. Kinda pisses me off.

Anyway, enough of the rant. So I have 2 Costas I normally switch between, one with green and the other with blue 580 lenses. I need an amber lens, but don't currently have one. I also have a few new pairs of Costas I keep in a drawer in case I lose or break one. Currently looking for one pair I have set somewhere down at the shop, other house or garage. When I started paddleboarding again, I grabbed another pair of sunglasses that someone probably gave me at one of our TOWA or SEOPA events where you have what they call break-out days and people give you stuff to try in hopes that you will write about it.

I've been using these sunglasses for about 2 weeks on the paddleboard and have come to really like them. They are very lightweight, comfortable and I can see fish in the water about as well as any other polarized glasses I have worn. So yesterday I decided to look them up. I was blown away at how inexpensive they are. Here's their sunglasses with an amber lens. I think amber is one of the best lake colors. Green, in my opinion, is the most versatile, and my blue lenses are for offshore saltwater.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGGTLXO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I haven't found the Mahi 246PFL online, like mine in these photos. If you come across them, please post a link. If you need an inexpensive pair of polarized sunglasses, these fit the bill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was a Costa guy for years, but I also ran into the problem of the rubber pieces degrading or coming unglued from the plastic frames. I searched for a quality replacement and ended up going with Maui Jim. I have four pair of their Makoa glasses now, one stays in the boat, one in the truck, one in the house in case I take a different vehicle and one in the wifes car. They only have a small amount of rubber on the nose and the lenses are as good if not slightly better than Costa 580g.

Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432365 07/28/22 09:57 AM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
One pair of my Costas started coming apart. Same thing ... the rubber pieces separating from the frame. I repaired them with this stuff. Used a toothpick to spread the glue around, then a clothespin clip to seal it in place. Left them for 24 hours to make sure the glue cured and they are perfect now. If you do this repair, be careful not to let any glue seep to the frame. It didn't happen when I did it, but if you use a little too much glue, make sure you wipe off the excess well before it dries. We've used this glue on other projects and it's tough stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/E6000-5510310-Craft-Adhesive-Mini/dp/B00CB3BZBW

[Linked Image]

Repaired Costas.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432418 07/28/22 11:53 AM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Cry once, buy once. Wearing the same model of glass lense maii jim that was released in the late 90's. I have a ebay search for 159-02 regatta polarized sunglasses. About once a year I pick up a spare set for under 50$. But the glass lenses do not scratch like the plastic lenses. I picked up a cheap set for my son, and he doesn't keep them put up safely and they are beat up pretty bad. I have thought about picking up a backup for the boat but haven't pulled the plug. Will check out the reviews and maybe pull the trigger. 21$ is a no brainer for shades, I cannot go outside without sunglasses. My eyes are too sensitive..

Re: fishing sunglasses [Re: prosise] #14432436 07/28/22 12:14 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by prosise
Cry once, buy once. Wearing the same model of glass lense maii jim that was released in the late 90's. I have a ebay search for 159-02 regatta polarized sunglasses. About once a year I pick up a spare set for under 50$. But the glass lenses do not scratch like the plastic lenses. I picked up a cheap set for my son, and he doesn't keep them put up safely and they are beat up pretty bad. I have thought about picking up a backup for the boat but haven't pulled the plug. Will check out the reviews and maybe pull the trigger. 21$ is a no brainer for shades, I cannot go outside without sunglasses. My eyes are too sensitive..

Well, Costas are not really cheap sunglasses ... and the 580Gs are glass lenses. Monte Coon wears Maui Jim and loves them. He's super picky about things like that. Probably a little OCD, like I am.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide