Forums59
Topics1,037,854
Posts13,935,657
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: Jpurdue] #14429681 07/25/22 04:51 PM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
No . The 7’6” pipeline running to McKinney will keep the lake drained . With the purification plant already built in Leanord insurers that they will be pulling water as soon as it is filled .

Last edited by slim 285; 07/25/22 04:53 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: slim 285] #14429683 07/25/22 04:53 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by slim 285
No . The 7’6” pipeline running to McKinney will keep the lake drained . With the purification plant already built in Lenard insurers that will be pulling water as soon as it is filled .

Do you think it will be kept 10'-12' deep on average?

#MFGA
Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: Douglas J] #14429684 07/25/22 04:54 PM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Douglas J
No . The 7’6” pipeline running to McKinney will keep the lake drained . With the purification plant already built in Lenard insurers that will be pulling water as soon as it is filled .

Going to be another Chapman (Cooper)

Last edited by slim 285; 07/25/22 04:55 PM.
Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: slim 285] #14429685 07/25/22 04:56 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Douglas J

Going to be another Chapman (Cooper)

sick

#MFGA
Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: Jpurdue] #14429688 07/25/22 04:59 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
I am not super familiar with the details of the lake, but what I do know sounds intriguing. The lakes is fairly good sized at almost 17,000 acres. Max depth of 70 and average depth of 22. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like the only bass genetics in there will be ShareLunker genetics. Everything else was killed. So every bass in there has the genetic potential to be a giant. From what I can see on TPWD the only other fish they've stocked is bluegill. (hopefully shad as well, but I don't see that anywhere). It sounds like there is a lot of timber and what was removed for the lane was stacked into brush piles as opposed to be moved or burned. The new reservoir effect has an enormous impact on growth. Nachoniche had the same basic starting variables and kicked out a 15 within 5 years of opening. (Only 700 acres). I personally think grass matters very little, particularly with new reservoirs. Pressure will absolutely matter. Hopefully they keep tournaments off the lake. Anyway I'm optimistic it's got a chance to be a really great lake years 2027-2037.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: Jpurdue] #14429695 07/25/22 05:06 PM
F
Frank the Tank Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
I just can’t see them restricting or banning tournaments early on. I see it getting hammered. Tourney restrictions just doesn’t seem to be high in anymore list.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: Jpurdue] #14429730 07/25/22 05:44 PM
K
Kodyjoe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Watched it being built from day one People talking bout all the brushpiles they built May have saw 6 or 7 and they aint nowhere near as big as yall thank they are They could have been but they burnt helluva lot of timber cause I sat and watched them Think it would have been a whole lot better of a Lake if they had left a lot of the timber. Yea there a lot of timber on west side of the bridge but when they start pulling water it gonna get shallow quick Maybe I am wrong bout it not being that good of a Lake and kinda hoping I am cause I can be on it in ten minutes from my house We shall see but it won't be open til it reaches full pool

Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: Kodyjoe] #14429898 07/25/22 08:28 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Kodyjoe
Watched it being built from day one People talking bout all the brushpiles they built May have saw 6 or 7 and they aint nowhere near as big as yall thank they are They could have been but they burnt helluva lot of timber cause I sat and watched them Think it would have been a whole lot better of a Lake if they had left a lot of the timber. Yea there a lot of timber on west side of the bridge but when they start pulling water it gonna get shallow quick Maybe I am wrong bout it not being that good of a Lake and kinda hoping I am cause I can be on it in ten minutes from my house We shall see but it won't be open til it reaches full pool

if we get back to our normal rain pattern they are gonna have some extra to get rid of anyway, some will depend on how high bonham gets and some will be runoff into bois d'arc. in 2016 we had storms thru here that dumped over 14" in 8 hrs. or so. storm or 3 like that again and the lake will be full, full. that was thanksgiving day, I was an island pretty much for 3 days.

gonna be interesting since it is now a chain of lakes, one big humongous dump of a storm and it may be full.

Last edited by hopalong; 07/25/22 08:29 PM.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: Jpurdue] #14429915 07/25/22 08:48 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I am not super familiar with the details of the lake, but what I do know sounds intriguing. The lakes is fairly good sized at almost 17,000 acres. Max depth of 70 and average depth of 22. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like the only bass genetics in there will be ShareLunker genetics. Everything else was killed. So every bass in there has the genetic potential to be a giant. From what I can see on TPWD the only other fish they've stocked is bluegill. (hopefully shad as well, but I don't see that anywhere). It sounds like there is a lot of timber and what was removed for the lane was stacked into brush piles as opposed to be moved or burned. The new reservoir effect has an enormous impact on growth. Nachoniche had the same basic starting variables and kicked out a 15 within 5 years of opening. (Only 700 acres). I personally think grass matters very little, particularly with new reservoirs. Pressure will absolutely matter. Hopefully they keep tournaments off the lake. Anyway I'm optimistic it's got a chance to be a really great lake years 2027-2037.

It's a straight, relatively short, shot from Dallas, you can bet your a$$ it's going to receive plenty of pressure. If the bottom end is clear, it will receive more than it's share of pleasure boater as well.

Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: Jpurdue] #14429948 07/25/22 09:26 PM
H
Hulapoppin Offline
Angler
Angler
H
It’s going to get hammered but that’s ok, good for growing the sport!

Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: furim2] #14429993 07/25/22 10:15 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by furim2
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Originally Posted by Rockie Martin
Catch and Release has hurt alot of lakes in my opinion. Our dad's and grand dads used to keep fish and do fish fry's. Lots of big bass caught back then and more frequent. Now hardly anyone keeps bass.... This lake just as just about every other lake in Texas is not built for "Bass" but built for water for the people. That is the main priority. I am looking forward to fishing this lake when it opens. I suspect it will be good for awhile then just like most other lakes in Texas will just become average....

I tend to agree on the lake.

You know what would help a lot of DFW lakes? If fish frys made a huge comeback. We have gone way to far in not strategically taking bass to eat sometimes. As a result to many small bass are released. They put pressure on forage bases and become educated to avoid lures pretty quick... in many cases after being caught 1X they are never caught again.

So no we have created uncooperative small fish, that run around eating everything... that is just great. Perfect. Sounds like a great management plan.

Having a 16inch max and actually encouraging people to take some dang bass home would help a lot of lakes around here. Its just a bass. They are tasty. Eat a bass and grow a toad is what I say.

And you base this information on........
I know this, back when Tbend was pretty much catch and eat it was lots more productive but there is a twist to that I thought about recently, when it was catch and eat in the 60's, 70's, and 80's it was mainly native bass; not Florida strain. The native are much more agressive; much easier to catch. A 6 to 7 pounder out of TBend back then was a trophy because that was about all you were going to ring out of a native largemouth. Back then Tbend got stocked about like Fork is today, I don't know if that still hold true. Today Tbend is probably majority if not all Florida strain. I do think if TP&W shared the love a little better on stocking lakes like Cooper and Bois D'arc would be a little more productive. I've been hitting Cooper some looking for the LMB's but so far nothing. I've had a couple of bites but one of those turned out to be a drum and the other pulled off, both on soft plastics.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: Jpurdue] #14430391 07/26/22 01:41 PM
T
The Netstretcher Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
It will for sure get a ton of DFW pressure, especially if it really takes off when opened. I spent weeks making this map to prepare for my anticipated trips there and offer them in the classifieds section if anyone else is interested, I don't know of any other mapping data being offered for it right now.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/14430386/1

Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14430478 07/26/22 02:35 PM
F
furim2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Originally Posted by furim2
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Originally Posted by Rockie Martin
Catch and Release has hurt alot of lakes in my opinion. Our dad's and grand dads used to keep fish and do fish fry's. Lots of big bass caught back then and more frequent. Now hardly anyone keeps bass.... This lake just as just about every other lake in Texas is not built for "Bass" but built for water for the people. That is the main priority. I am looking forward to fishing this lake when it opens. I suspect it will be good for awhile then just like most other lakes in Texas will just become average....

I tend to agree on the lake.

You know what would help a lot of DFW lakes? If fish frys made a huge comeback. We have gone way to far in not strategically taking bass to eat sometimes. As a result to many small bass are released. They put pressure on forage bases and become educated to avoid lures pretty quick... in many cases after being caught 1X they are never caught again.

So no we have created uncooperative small fish, that run around eating everything... that is just great. Perfect. Sounds like a great management plan.

Having a 16inch max and actually encouraging people to take some dang bass home would help a lot of lakes around here. Its just a bass. They are tasty. Eat a bass and grow a toad is what I say.

And you base this information on........
I know this, back when Tbend was pretty much catch and eat it was lots more productive but there is a twist to that I thought about recently, when it was catch and eat in the 60's, 70's, and 80's it was mainly native bass; not Florida strain. The native are much more agressive; much easier to catch. A 6 to 7 pounder out of TBend back then was a trophy because that was about all you were going to ring out of a native largemouth. Back then Tbend got stocked about like Fork is today, I don't know if that still hold true. Today Tbend is probably majority if not all Florida strain. I do think if TP&W shared the love a little better on stocking lakes like Cooper and Bois D'arc would be a little more productive. I've been hitting Cooper some looking for the LMB's but so far nothing. I've had a couple of bites but one of those turned out to be a drum and the other pulled off, both on soft plastics.

I think you give bass brains too much credit. I have, and I'm sure you have too, caught numerous fish with cull tag holes. I've caught bass with their jaws ripped off from cull tags, and they still bit.
There is not one biologist that can give you an answer to why Lake Fork is Lake Fork. If they could there would be Lake Forks all over Texas. What the TPWD managers do know is, woe to the person that is in charge if Lake Fork ever does decline. That is why Fork gets all the attention.

Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: Jpurdue] #14430526 07/26/22 03:16 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
first tournament is gonna be a hoot, there is not enough parking at the ramp by the bridge for more than 25-30 trucks/trailers. no way this will ever be a bass champs type tournament lake.

it will be pressured good the first 2-3 yrs. then taper off to a good to better fishing lake, the recreational users are gonna be a pain too.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Will Bois d'Arc ever be the best bass fishing lake in the country? [Re: Jpurdue] #14430537 07/26/22 03:26 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Fishing will be terrible, everyone needs to stay away! I'll let you know if it ever gets good! grin

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide