texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,749
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? #14427576 07/22/22 08:05 PM
T Gutierrez Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Salt water Pools.
Do you have one and regret your decision or?

Does anyone have a heat pump/chiller do you have any feedback on them?

Last edited by T Gutierrez; 07/22/22 08:06 PM.

[Linked Image]11.01

Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: T Gutierrez] #14427596 07/22/22 08:26 PM
UTMallard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
We had a heat pump chiller put in yesterday, so no review yet, but I’m excited about it. Waiting on electrician to hook it up. Our pool gets full sun and is 94-95 degrees. Looking forward to some 85 degree water!

Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: T Gutierrez] #14427608 07/22/22 08:40 PM
O
OTFF Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
I have a “salt” pool. First thing you need to know is that “salt water pool” is a misnomer. Only ocean creature swim in salt water pools. That being said they are nice enough just because of the smell or lack of. Unless you have a very small pool your “converter” will not produce/convert enough salt into chlorine so you will have to add chemicals. I go through. About 50 pounds of chlorine pucks a year and about a bag of shock a week on average.

Salt or chlorine is not really the question. Pool or no pool is the real question. LOL
Now if you have lots of kids or grandkids, lots of neighbors you like, or such, then a pool might, big might, be worth all the trouble. I have had two house with two pools. I will not have another. Now my hot tub, I will always have one.
Just my opinion.

Luke 6:22-23

22 Blessed are you when people hate you,
when they exclude you, insult you,
and slander your name as evil
because of the Son of Man.

23 Rejoice in that day and leap for joy. Take note—your reward is great in heaven, for this is the way their ancestors used to treat the prophets.
Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: T Gutierrez] #14427610 07/22/22 08:41 PM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I abandoned salt system after replacing 3 expensive generators in 10 years. Regulating chlorine levels takes practice but it's not that hard. I don't regret the change at all. I don't have chlorine smell or very very little occasionally because I am diligent in checking levels and have figured out just how much to add to not get spikes. It takes effort to check and adjust frequently.

Our pool is 36,000 gallons and has a 10 ' deep end. it never gets warm like some people complain about this time of year. It is basically craved out of solid bedrock ,has a lot of large tree to the west so its shaded by late afternoon. Waterfall feature running may help keep temp down also.

My wife and I spend a lot of time year round on our patio, enjoying the pool, cooking, and landscaping around it. We enjoy our pool A LOT. We both like being outdoors as much as we can. Many evening we don't go inside till a few minutes before we are ready to go to bed. I say that because some people may not spend a lot of time outside around the pool and such for whatever reason. If you don't have a large covered patio and a lot of shade then when it is hot you are kind of stuck being in the pool to enjoy the outdoors'

Last edited by ReelSlow; 07/22/22 08:59 PM.

GOD is good!
Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: T Gutierrez] #14427616 07/22/22 08:48 PM
H
HasBen Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
I have a 40,000 gal pool with a “salt system”. It generates plenty of chlorine without adding anything other than stabilizer and acid periodically. I usually run it 10-12 hours a day during summertime. I have gone through 3 cells in the last 15 years. It’s fine, but I could be happy with a chlorine pool. All pools are a PIA.

"Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness."-Mark Twain
Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: T Gutierrez] #14427629 07/22/22 09:00 PM
RipDaLips Offline
Old n Crusty
Old n Crusty
17 years here with a salt pool. I'll never own another pool, but if I had to make a choice it would be salt. Chlorine burns your eyes, skin and smells, whelp like chlorine. Salt is like swimming in very soft, silky water in comparison. No smell, burns and what nots. We've replaced 3 chlorine generators over the course of that time since converting it from Chlorine. You can now send in your old generator and have them rebuilt for about a 3rd of the cost for a new replacement. As stated above, all you need is stabilizer and acid. The by product of a chlorine generator is high PH, thus the need for occasional acid. I do find the up keep and overall maintenance of a salt pool over chlorine is less complicated, less chemicals to have on hand etc.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Some folks mouths, flat out runs their minds.
Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: T Gutierrez] #14427647 07/22/22 09:20 PM
T Gutierrez Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Thanks for the replies so far and please keep them coming.

We do have a large covered patio to get out of the sun. Our bigger concern has been does the salt travel from the pool? Does it rust patio furniture, eat away at rock/ tile finishes and stain up your walkway if you allow the salt water to dry in your passage ways?
The salt system seems attractive for the ease of keeping up with the water chemistry. Beyond that we keep flipping between which system is better.

[Linked Image]11.01

Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: RipDaLips] #14427651 07/22/22 09:22 PM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by RipDaLips
17 years here with a salt pool. I'll never own another pool, but if I had to make a choice it would be salt. Chlorine burns your eyes, skin and smells, whelp like chlorine. Salt is like swimming in very soft, silky water in comparison. No smell, burns and what nots. We've replaced 3 chlorine generators over the course of that time since converting it from Chlorine. You can now send in your old generator and have them rebuilt for about a 3rd of the cost for a new replacement. As stated above, all you need is stabilizer and acid. The by product of a chlorine generator is high PH, thus the need for occasional acid. I do find the up keep and overall maintenance of a salt pool over chlorine is less complicated, less chemicals to have on hand etc.

if your pool smells like chlorine , burns your eyes and skin then you don't have a clue what you are doing. I open my eyes under water with contacts on every day and never feel any discomfort. If you wait till its low then shock it , yes, but that is a lazy man's way of maintaining. It takes 1 minute to check level and 1 minute to add just enough chlorine to get it perfect. Simple chemistry.

GOD is good!
Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: T Gutierrez] #14427673 07/22/22 09:48 PM
TexDawg Online Content
Top Dawg
Online Content
Top Dawg
I do not have a salt water pool, but I do regret the decision

Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: T Gutierrez] #14427707 07/22/22 10:29 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Had a salt pool , it was great very easy to keep balanced.

Could not be talked out of another if I was considering a pool build.

Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: ReelSlow] #14427716 07/22/22 10:38 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by ReelSlow

if your pool smells like chlorine , burns your eyes and skin then you don't have a clue what you are doing. I open my eyes under water with contacts on every day and never feel any discomfort. If you wait till its low then shock it , yes, but that is a lazy man's way of maintaining. It takes 1 minute to check level and 1 minute to add just enough chlorine to get it perfect. Simple chemistry.

If you have a chlorine pool....I'm sorry but you will smell like chlorine and you will smell the chlorine. No way around it. I guess everyone needs to have their time with a pool at least once. Did a chlorine pool for 20 years and rest assured that I'll never make that mistake again. Pools are for fools....J/K bolt

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: ReelSlow] #14427727 07/22/22 10:49 PM
Ghost4BH Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by ReelSlow

This is correct. We have chlorine and never smell like chlorine or have burning eyes/skin. A few years ago we went through a remodel and thought about going with salt. Just about every company we talked with about the remodel talked us out of switching to salt. Happykamper’s company is the one who did our remodel, maybe shoot him a PM and get his thoughts.

Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: T Gutierrez] #14427735 07/22/22 10:58 PM
Minner Bucket Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I have a pool, I will never own another pool, EVER!

Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: T Gutierrez] #14427744 07/22/22 11:13 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
A few romantic interludes in any pool and it gets salty

#MFGA
Re: Salt water Pools. Do you regret your decision? [Re: T Gutierrez] #14427765 07/22/22 11:52 PM
D
DI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
I just broke down and hired a pool maintenance guy yesterday, I’m starting to go Texdawg lite on pools.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide