Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Guns in schools [Re: Jonah's View] #14427232 07/22/22 01:50 PM
ReelSlow Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Jonah's View
There should be a badge swipe lock box with key backup in every room throughout the school with a Glock inside, so they can track the asset and who checked it out... that would remove the need to carry since that scares the snowflakes, then there will be a gun behind every door protecting the kids...there needs to be common sense defense in schools...

A Glock in every classroom in Texas that just needs a swipe badge to open. one school 50 rooms, 50 Glocks , 50 trained personnel. At least one badge a day out of 50 will be misplaced, lost or stollen. Absolute insanity in my opinion. There are more than a few adult idiots in every school you would not want having a badge and access to a Glock.

GOD is good!
Re: Guns in schools [Re: HasBen] #14427263 07/22/22 02:14 PM
S
slim1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Our schools have had a teacher or teachers carrying for a few years now.

PATRIOT GUARD RIDER
Riding With Respect
Flag Captain
Re: Guns in schools [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #14427264 07/22/22 02:16 PM
J
JRGOCARDS Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer
Texas State Techers Association says teachers need to teach, not worry about safety. I get it and I agree 100% with this statement. However, at my workplace, I agree people need to work, not be concerned about safety. But do I (and do i want others) to provide protection at the same time? Yes!! Because those whose job it is to protect and not teach will not always be there (or will be late, will fumble around in the hallway, etc.). Sometimes in life you just have to have ancillary responsibilities.

That's all well and good until it hits the fan. Ask the TSSA what the Uvalde teachers were teaching on that horrible day! The school district where our farm is at has had armed teachers for several years.

All gun free zones are targets.

JR

Re: Guns in schools [Re: TexDawg] #14427268 07/22/22 02:18 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by TexDawg
I support it, Jonah has a good idea too

A gun in a lock box in an incredibly stressful situation would be the same as unarmed to 99% of people. Lock boxes are for storing weapons when nobody is in the room.

Re: Guns in schools [Re: 9094] #14427276 07/22/22 02:28 PM
ReelSlow Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by 9094
Originally Posted by TexDawg
I support it, Jonah has a good idea too

A gun in a lock box in an incredibly stressful situation would be the same as unarmed to 99% of people. Lock boxes are for storing weapons when nobody is in the room.

And a pizzed off teenager would never figure out how to pry one off the wall or snatch a badge.

GOD is good!
Re: Guns in schools [Re: HasBen] #14427293 07/22/22 02:38 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
A bit of reality that seems to be overlooked is that some people are simply not capable of carrying a weapon. Mentally capable. In a stressful or threatening situation, some people tend to lose their ability to think, make a decision, or take an action. There are also some people who are over eager and the stressful situation causes them to make catastrophically bad decisions.

Guns for every teacher is a mistake. Guns in every room is a mistake. But gather up volunteers and set up a training program that can qualify good candidates, and more importantly, disqualify bad candidates... that would establish the ground work for true school safety.

Re: Guns in schools [Re: HasBen] #14427295 07/22/22 02:39 PM
H
HasBen Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
H
I think the only way it works is for the trained teacher to have the gun on their body at all times. Otherwise, all the training in the world doesn’t help if you cannot get to your weapon.

"Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness."-Mark Twain
Re: Guns in schools [Re: HasBen] #14427306 07/22/22 03:00 PM
O
OkAce Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Originally Posted by HasBen
I think the only way it works is for the trained teacher to have the gun on their body at all times. Otherwise, all the training in the world doesn’t help if you cannot get to your weapon.

I agree. I don't know what good a gun locked in a safe is gonna do.

Re: Guns in schools [Re: HasBen] #14427332 07/22/22 03:23 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Why not an armed officer at very school? A retired (trained) employee, retired military soldier, or police officer, or ???? I'm a retired school employee and if I had the opportunity do something like this I would jump all over it.

Last edited by Topwater2; 07/22/22 03:24 PM.

FishKen
Re: Guns in schools [Re: HasBen] #14427334 07/22/22 03:25 PM
TexDawg Online Content
Top Dawg
Online Content
Top Dawg
I guess an alternative could be buckets of rocks located in every room

Re: Guns in schools [Re: HasBen] #14427349 07/22/22 03:36 PM
S
Samsonsworld Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
I'm all for them cherry picking guardians and training together to handle an intruder. Forget handguns though, you better get some rifles.

Re: Guns in schools [Re: COFF] #14427354 07/22/22 03:45 PM
K
ko bass attack 27 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted by COFF
A bit of reality that seems to be overlooked is that some people are simply not capable of carrying a weapon. Mentally capable. In a stressful or threatening situation, some people tend to lose their ability to think, make a decision, or take an action. There are also some people who are over eager and the stressful situation causes them to make catastrophically bad decisions.

Guns for every teacher is a mistake. Guns in every room is a mistake. But gather up volunteers and set up a training program that can qualify good candidates, and more importantly, disqualify bad candidates... that would establish the ground work for true school safety.

I hear ya, my lovely wife was a teacher in public schools for 33 years and there is no way that she would do well if put in this situation. She would of died doing what ever it took to protect the students. Not saying that some of the school personnel shouldn't be armed but they need those to also get the kids to a safe place and try to minimize the chaos of this type situation. It's terrible that we should have to do scenarios and drills to prepare kids and school personnel for these type situations but it's the world we live in today.
P.S. My wife does carry for personal protection and has had a ccp for 10 years.

Re: Guns in schools [Re: ReelSlow] #14427379 07/22/22 04:21 PM
J
Jonah's View Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Originally Posted by Jonah's View
There should be a badge swipe lock box with key backup in every room throughout the school with a Glock inside, so they can track the asset and who checked it out... that would remove the need to carry since that scares the snowflakes, then there will be a gun behind every door protecting the kids...there needs to be common sense defense in schools...

A Glock in every classroom in Texas that just needs a swipe badge to open. one school 50 rooms, 50 Glocks , 50 trained personnel. At least one badge a day out of 50 will be misplaced, lost or stollen. Absolute insanity in my opinion. There are more than a few adult idiots in every school you would not want having a badge and access to a Glock.

i understand your point, but there has to be some accountability - teachers having to act like adults for once, its simple to gain access to the school they have to swipe in, no "training" meaning no letting someone in behind you because they don't have a badge...with the penalty being 1st offense time off no pay, second offense your fired tenure means nothing... I work for a large corporation and have to have my badge on me anytime I'm in the building, and corporate security monitors all the access point via camera, we have to use the badge for elevator access, its all a part of being a responsible adult and being accountable for your actions - I think the kids are worth it... right now we already have the ability to have some idiot adult/kid on-prem with a glock... I don't have skin in the game having no kids, but my heart breaks every time some malfunctioning humanoid makes a shooting arcade of a school...
And if the teacher is not able to be a part of the safety team then they don't have to have the access right, my idea is a swag not a policy, sure it would need tuning... we need to have the ability for an armed response - that will be a deterrent in and of itself...

Last edited by Jonah's View; 07/22/22 04:58 PM. Reason: adjusted...

Maranatha !
Re: Guns in schools [Re: HasBen] #14427413 07/22/22 05:03 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
I watch a lot of mainstream media and I believe schools should be gun free zones.

My concern is primarily around the temperament of certain guns. If two hot-headed guns get p***ed off at each other and start firing off rounds, a kid is bound to be accidentally be hit. I say no to this arming idea.

Re: Guns in schools [Re: HasBen] #14427444 07/22/22 05:32 PM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
In a mass shooting every second means lives lost. There isn’t time to wait on a response from an armed officer or guard (or several of them) coming from another part of the campus. Either make it IMPOSSIBLE for a student, staff member, or ancillary personnel to enter the property with ANY KIND (firearms, edged weapons, impact weapons, explosives, chemicals, etc.) of weapon, and IMPOSSIBLE for unauthorized personnel to access the property at all. Otherwise, have qualified armed personnel in every room. Anything less would cost lives.

I believe that if teachers are armed they need to have the proper mindset, proper training, a specific plan derived from a tactical assesment of each individual room, and they need to be committed enough to keep the firearm concealed, and on their person, AT ALL TIMES while on the campus. Furthermore, I believe that the knowledge of which teachers are and are not armed should be very closely guarded. Anything less will cost lives. Either option would be expensive and require significant effort to achieve. Neither option comes with a 100% guarantee, but either option would have a much greater chance of preventing violence than more gun control regulations.

There is a group of people in our society who are incapable of grasping two basic concepts:
1. Violent criminals are not deterred by gun control laws; only law-abiding citizens comply with the law.
2. Mass shooters select targets in ‘gun-free zones’ for a reason. It’s mind-boggling that some people are incapable of seeing that.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide